Rice 
SuperCat

Post Rice
Zachary Leigh is getting the start against rice. I really like this kids ability. I was really surprised B. Lewis got the start sunday. Figured Engle would be starting one of the games. Curious to know where he stands right now. Hopefully the cats can win this one and even their record at 2-2. :eatemup:

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Rice
Rice comes into this game 2-1. They opened their season in Orlando beating Samford 8-7, and UCF 5-4, before losing to Virginia 3-0.

After TXST, they go to California for a 4 game series against Stanford.

Go Cats ! :-||

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Welcome back to 2018, bullpen...

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:48 pm
SuperCat

Rice is still batting in the 8th but I'm not going to listen to the end. I can't believe we don't have something better than pagano, engle and pearson. All three are horrible pitchers. None deserve to be pitching. If this is what we have in the bullpen then it will be a long year. I'm angry and will just shut up.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:52 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Pathetic loss.

Hopefully the lineup realizes that no lead is safe by now. 3rd straight game that the opposing starter hasn't gotten out of the 3rd inning yet we're 1-2 in those games. The bats seem to relax as soon as we chase the starter and we stop scoring.

It just amazes me how we have so many guys on this pitching staff with absolutely no control. We simply don't have anyone that can throw strikes. 6-3 lead into the 8th and we go BB, BB, HBP, WP, BB to start the inning. It's one thing to lose cause your opponent beats you but that's literally just giving the game away. Time to see some of these freshman pitchers in relief.

Back into hiding for me.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
Welcome back to 2018, bullpen...

^ This. Took a 5-0 lead into the B6th, then the pen gave up 8 runs over the next 3 innings, ensuring that TXST snatched Defeat from the Jaws of Victory.

Final from Houston: Rice 8 TXST 6.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:16 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

some things seem to never change at TXST Baseball

Rice earns come-from-behind win over TXST

Leigh posts dominant effort in first-career start, Owls defeat Bobcats 8-6
Derek Scheible vs. Oklahoma State
Senior Derek Scheible
Bookmark and Share Pinterest - Pin It
StoryPlayers MentionedRelated Videos
HOUSTON – The Texas State baseball team lost 8-6 to Rice in a midweek non-conference clash Tuesday night inside Reckling Park.

The Bobcats dropped to 1-3 on the year, while the Owls improved to 3-1.

Texas State initially found a 5-0 lead after an RBI from junior Jonathan Ortega in the top of the sixth, but the home side plated one in the sixth, two in the bottom of the seventh and five in the eighth to earn the come-from-behind victory.

Ortega finished 2-for-5 with three RBIs and a run scored. Senior Luke Sherley and junior Jacob Almendarez both went 2-for-4 and combined to score three runs.

The Bobcats were unable to take advantage of a near-flawless effort from sophomore Zachary Leigh in his first-collegiate start on the mound. He gave up just one run on two hits, while striking out three and walking four. He left with a 5-1 advantage and was in line for the win.

Senior Cam Baird, juniors Seth Jordan, Anthony Pagano, Wes Engle and Braden Pearson, redshirt freshman Noah Walker, and true freshman Matthew Nicholas all saw time on the mound. The seven relief pitchers combined to allow seven runs on six hits across the final 3.0 innings.

The Bobcats outhit Rice 10-8 and have posted more hits than their opponents in all four games this season.

Ryan Chandler led the Owls with a 3-for-5 effort. Trei Cruz was just 1-for-3, but he had four RBIs, which included the game-winning 3-RBI triple in the eighth. Justin Collins and Bradley Gneiting both scored twice.

Dane Acker started on the mound for Rice and left after conceding three runs on four hits in 2.2 innings. Nick Silber and Evan Kravetz threw the next 4.1 frames and gave up two runs on four hits. Willy Amador (1-0) earned the win after tossing an inning of relief. He allowed one unearned run on one hit. Garrett Gayle picked up the save after tossing a clean ninth.

Texas State will return home for a three-game series against McNeese State Feb. 23-25 inside Bobcat Ballpark.

-- TXSTATEBOBCATS.COM --

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Actual video of our bullpen in action:

https://youtu.be/5vYL82Znp80

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 am
Bobcat Wannabe

With fans like this, who needs rivalries?

The coaches had all fall and winter to look at the pitchers on the staff and decided these are the best they have. Leigh should have been the Sunday starter. I don't understand why the coaches have so much confidence in Lewis.

It's well known throughout select and high school baseball that coaches are steering their kids away from Texas State baseball. This isn't getting better anytime soon. But good news Bobcat Fans, you play something called McNeese State this weekend and it's a great chance for TY to work the record back to .500!

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:32 am
SuperCat

Pathetic! Same old same old.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatEXpat wrote:
With fans like this, who needs rivalries?

The coaches had all fall and winter to look at the pitchers on the staff and decided these are the best they have. Leigh should have been the Sunday starter. I don't understand why the coaches have so much confidence in Lewis.

It's well known throughout select and high school baseball that coaches are steering their kids away from Texas State baseball. This isn't getting better anytime soon. But good news Bobcat Fans, you play something called McNeese State this weekend and it's a great chance for TY to work the record back to .500!

What? Can you elaborate further?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatEXpat wrote:
something called McNeese State this weekend and it's a great chance for TY to work the record back to .500!

McNeese went 37-20 last year and won the Southland regular season championship. They are not a bad team.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatEXpat showed up about the time that tiggercat stopped posting...coincidence?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:32 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

It's well known throughout select and high school baseball that coaches are steering their kids away from Texas State baseball.

I'm speaking out of turn and out of frustration. There are three programs I know of where kids have rec'd offers and coaches have told them to pass due to the way other recruits have fared at Texas State. A couple of those coaches are high school coaches as well. It's pretty clear though that kids that are highly recruited get to Texas State and cannot perform up to expectations. 2015 class is a big example. I thought it might have been Fikac - still might be, but it looks like it will carry into this season as well.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:56 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

McNeese went 37-20 last year and won the Southland regular season championship. They are not a bad team.[/quote]

Here's a list of powerhouse programs McNeese beat last season:
Rhode Island
Prairie View A&M
Central Arkansas
SFA
Nicholls
Abilene Christian
New Orleans
Creighton

They did beat LSU somehow, but they lost to Houston Baptist in the Southland Conference Tourney. If TY can't sweep this weekend, that's a problem.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:02 pm