Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Softball 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Softball
think you misunderstood her comment, which is understandable given the way the question was asked. the question was about potential super-regional matchups, not regionals, and it was prefaced w/ the comment that conference avoidance in the regionals is 100% one of the principles and procedures, to which shock nodded in acknowledgement as that was being said.
starts at 1:55 or so: https://twitter.com/NCAAsoftball/status ... 9897647104

in every single ncaa tournament bracket, conference avoidance in 1st round is almost a lock.

some examples:
ice hockey - 16
Quote:
The committee is directed to avoid first-round games between teams from the same conference unless five or more teams from one conference are selected. In that case, the committee can prioritize maintaining bracket integrity over avoiding intra-conference matchups.

men's hoops - 64 (+4)
Quote:
Each of the first three teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions. There shall not be more than two teams from a conference in one region unless a ninth team is selected from a conference." Teams from the same conference should not be seeded to meet until the regional final.

Mon May 14, 2018 10:16 am
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah I thought about that later on. Basically because SBC can't produce 3-5 bids (like I think we are capable of in the future) then we are never going to get special regional treatment until we host ourselves

Mon May 14, 2018 10:33 am
True Bobcat Fan

not sure where you think special treatment is occurring anywhere other than the $EC!$EC!$EC! hosting 9 regionals - and every single team in the tourney, i might add.

geography is a big deal. we would have had to be a higher seed than baylor to go to tamu, ulala to go to lsu, missouri to go to norman, long beach to go to tempe. the only one we have an argument w/ is mizzou @ ou, and playing at the 4 seed instead of the 3 seed isn't some big advantage. i'd damn sure rather travel to westwood than norman.

Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am
True Bobcat Fan

While I see what you are saying I think there are a few factors that were not considered. Take out OU and the SBC is relatively comparable to the BIGXII (in softball). So is Baylor's 3rd place in big 12 better than 1st place and tournament champion of sunbelt? Maybe that's debatable to a degree. Also head-to-head? We did beat Baylor rather convincingly in softball terms (runs hard to come by).

Geography aside with ULL. We had the edge on them in the regular season and in the championship. That should outweigh RPI but I guess geography and past regional success gives them the edge easy which sucks for us. So if that's the case winning the regular season and tournament really didn't give us an edge at all if we were just going to get an at-large #2/#3 seed somewhere anyway. For instance before the conference tournament we were projected to play at a #12-16 host. We probably were not the favorite to win our tournament but we did anyway and we end up going to a host 9-13 seed spots less favorable for us!! That's a huge turn of events...

Mon May 14, 2018 12:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bad arguments all around.

no, the sbc and b12 are not comparable. not sure why you would think removing a team is ok for comparison's sake either.

b12 has 4 bids, sbc has 2.

top 6 teams in b12 rpi: 4, 14, 27, 36, 66, 71
top 6 teams in sbc rpi: 22, 28, 64, 69, 83, 84

1 h2hg isn't some big marker over a 50+ game season. baylor was ranked in the teens the entire year (or close enough), and we barely got into the 20s in the closing weeks.

baylor has a higher rpi, higher rankings, and played a tougher schedule than we did. feel free to look up their schedule and wins vs ranked/tournament opponents ooc. i think they are at 5-3 (just a quick scan - could certainly have missed some).

we did not have an edge on ulala in the regular season - we dropped 2 of 3.
we then went 1-1 in the tournament vs ulala.
ulala has the better resume overall.

no, winning the tournament doesn't make much of a difference in terms of seeding. all you have to do is look at past brackets and records to know that.

regardless, we are both 2 seeds and they are 60mi from baton rouge, so they are going to go to that regional as the 2 seed unless they host their own. not sure how many times geography matters has to be said for it to sink in. same reason volleyball always plays at texas.

the bottom line is that given the field, we didn't get screwed at all - that's just the breaks. the only argument i'll accept is the absolute bullshit of an entire conference making the national tournament.

Mon May 14, 2018 1:04 pm
SuperCat

How does geography matter not work for us this time? We went to A&M last year, so i kinda get that, but all the way to LA this year------I'm lost. Was it our record, or last few games? I know they have to put teams in hard spots, just wish it wasn't us this time. Sorry to be a newbie on this, but thanks for the reasons everybody has given. I guess g5 schools get the short end of the stick more often.

Mon May 14, 2018 5:23 pm
SuperCat

Would it have been better to lose tourney for ncaa placement?

Mon May 14, 2018 5:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Too late . . .

Mon May 14, 2018 5:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatBuddy96 wrote:
Would it have been better to lose tourney for ncaa placement?

in terms of regional location, possibly. but then you're a 3 seed playing 2 better teams instead of a 2 seed w/ only 1 above you. in cs we'd be up against both baylor and tamu. hell, you might end up as a 2 seed anyway and then you're in the same spot, but w/o a conference title.

you also run the risk of not being selected at all. i think we'd have been in w/ 41 wins and a very solid rpi, but you never know. florida gulf coast got left out w/ 39 wins and a 38 rpi, and the's not too far off from us.

Mon May 14, 2018 5:56 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Blame it on Baylor, if they had hosted like last year, we would have taken their spot in A&M Regional.

They were just outside the top 16 so they go as a very high #2 seed to A&M and will probably win it.

We have played out in the West Regionals before and done well, beat Washington and Hawaii.

Everyone quit crying and appreciate we have a top 25 team that is going against the top competition like UCLA, I bet the girls are more thrilled to be in that Region than same ole A&M.

To be the best you have to play the best.

Mon May 14, 2018 6:25 pm
SuperCat

Ok, thanks Saul. Sun Belt Tourney Champions does have a nice ring to it, and a nice trophy for future recruits to see. Three regional trips in a row, glad for that.

Mon May 14, 2018 6:32 pm
True Bobcat Fan

HPCAT wrote:
Blame it on Baylor

blame it on the selection committee and $EC!$EC!$EC! bias.

more wins than kentucky (8-15 in conf play, 0-1 in conf tourney)
more wins and higher rpi than alabama (.500 in conf play, 1-1 in conf tourney)
higher rpi than arkansas (.500 in conf play, 2-1 in conf tourney)
higher rpi than texas a&m (0-1 in conf tourney)

Mon May 14, 2018 6:48 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Oh wow, I didn't realize that Baylor passed A&M in RPI, they should have hosted and that would have been sweet to have been sent there.

Only thing to do now, is take the SEC down a notch by knocking them out of the tourney.

Baylor has a much larger complaint than we do.

Mon May 14, 2018 9:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

to be fair, it's only a 1 position delta, so pretty much equal on that front. but tale of the tape:

w/l: 40-16 tamu, 36-16 bay
rpi: 14 bay, 15 tamu
polls: 10/14 tamu, 18/17 bay
conf standings: bay 3rd, tamu 6th
conf tourney: bay 1-2, tamu 0-1

i don't think it's tamu that's the issue here though. more like kentucky:

w/l: 36-16 bay, 31-19 ken
rpi: 13 ken, 14 bay
polls: 18/17 bay, 19/19 ken
conf standings: bay 3rd, ken 10th
conf tourney: bay 1-2, ken 0-1

Mon May 14, 2018 10:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Lost to Cal.St.Fullerton 2-1.

Fri May 18, 2018 10:28 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next