Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Softball 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Softball
You get a nice big conference championship trophy.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
You get a nice big conference championship trophy.

really??? that's the first i've ever heard of that. what's the point of giving a trophy for something meaningless?

oddly enough, as i looked around at some other conferences to see how they handle it, the $EC!$EC!$EC! considers it's regular season winner the conference champion, not the tourney winner. how weird.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:44 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

This is why I would love for the Sunbelt to achieve two-bid status in all sports with post-season tournaments. It would allow for those instances where the tournament winner doesn't match the regular season winner when the regular season winner may have been clearly dominant all year.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah the regular season champion is the best team in the league. Unfortunately that doesn't always get you in the postseason in our league unless you can win the tournament championship as well.

Regular season championships are a huge deal in my opinion. But winning that title then not making the NCAA tournament sure takes some of the shine off it. Men's basketball the last two seasons has been a good example with Louisiana this year and UTA last year. Hell it got cross fired...

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:44 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Particularly the NCAA basketball tournament. There were several teams from high profile conferences that simply had no business being in the tournament and were there purely for name recognition & conference affiliation. TCU, Missouri, Texas, Providence, NC State, Alabama, Virginia Tech & Oklahoma were all a bit questionable. Syracuse was lucky to make the tournament and even luckier with seeding.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:03 am
True Bobcat Fan

i look at it more from an end goal perspective - if the goal is to make the national tournament, then the regular season is nothing more than games to get ready for the conference tournament, since that's the door to the dance. losing a couple to good teams along the way is not a big deal so long as you're competitive and understand where/why the loss happened.

maybe it's my specific sports background. i wrestled in high school, and tournaments are literally only thing that matters in that sport. lacrosse is the same way, both club and varsity - heck, even at the hs level no one gives a 2nd thought to the regular season - it's all just a competition for seeding and home field in the playoffs.

regardless, the ladies are undefeated in conference play w/ a trip to lafayette coming up. would be huge for their heads, if nothing else, to win that series.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:50 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcats move past California up to #24.

Strong RPI that comes in at #25.

Good shape for at large again, but they need at least one win in Louisiana.

Win more than one and they are looking great for the title.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:46 am
True Bobcat Fan

When you have an at-large bid in your pocket I think the regular season title is unquestionably more significant than the tournament title.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:29 am
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
When you have an at-large bid in your pocket I think the regular season title is unquestionably more significant than the tournament title.

Precisely the point. For once I agree. The main thing is we just need to break the no conference title cherry. There’s at least 6 major varsity sports each year and we’ve been competing since 2013 in this abyss called the sunbelt. That’s not good, bob and tough to swallow. Sometimes I wish we could pour money into just one major sport so we could be great at something instead of sub-par at most everything.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 pm
SuperCat

Cats beat the horns 2-1. Great atmosphere and a big crowd tonight. Now on to Louisiana.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:36 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Ladies run the season record to 30-8.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:43 am
True Bobcat Fan

cgd469 wrote:
Cats beat the horns 2-1. Great atmosphere and a big crowd tonight. Now on to Louisiana.

rupp's 100th win - she's 8 away from owning the school record.
team's 8th straight and 16th of 17.

i love that cat osterman is on our side (at least for now) and helping us consistently beat the horns. i know it absolutely kills their fans - especially given their hc situation.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:09 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Both softball games against #21 Louisiana are on ESPN3. 1st game of the double hitter starts @ Noon

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:55 am
True Bobcat Fan

Ladies win the first game 4-0 in 8 innings.

Complete game shutout for Rupp.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:17 pm
SuperCat

Glad to take the first game. The cats were a little lucky to win this game but I don't care. I'm guessing King will pitch game 2.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:20 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next