Series Thread - Vs. Georgia State 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Series Thread - Vs. Georgia State
Huge series if the Bobcats have any chance of getting back into the top 6 to avoid the first round of the Sun Belt tournament.

Georgia State is in last place in the East Division at 6-15, they have the 3rd worst overall record in the conference at 17-27, and have the 3rd worst RPI in the conference at 209. Texas State has a road series at Louisiana up next and finish off the regular season with a series in San Marcos vs. UTA, both quality teams. The Bobcats could really use a series win this weekend before going into those two series. That being said, GSU has been playing better lately. They started conference play at 1-11 but are 5-4 over the past 3 weekends with series wins over Troy (who swept TXST) and ULM. Meanwhile, TXST has been swept two weekends in a row at Troy and USA.

Schedule/Probable Pitching Matchup:
Friday - 6pm:
#41 RHP Connor Reich (2-4, 5.17 ERA) vs. #28 RHP Bryan White (1-2, 6.23 ERA)
Saturday - 4pm:
#36 RHP Nicholas Fraze (4-2, 4.50 ERA) vs. #22 RHP Hunter Gaddis (4-3, 3.00 ERA)
Sunday - Noon:
#32 RHP Cam Baird (1-5, 5.22 ERA) vs. TBA

Georgia State is the worst hitting club in the Sun Belt with just a .234 team batting average. Catcher/DH Nick Gatewood is the only Panther batting over .300 at .323. Hitting advantage definitely goes to TXST as they are 2nd in the Sun Belt in team batting average.

Their pitching looks to be on par with TXST (read: both bad). GSU is 9th in the Sun Belt in team ERA at 5.26 while TXST is 10th at 5.32. The bobcats allow a higher opponents batting average though and surrender significantly more extra base hits. Small pitching advantage goes to GSU. Saturday starter, Gaddis, has the best stats on the team with a 4-3 record, 3.00 ERA, and .215 BAA in a team high 63 innings. Closer Rhett Harper has 4 saves and a 1.62 ERA in 13 appearances.

Fri May 05, 2017 12:10 pm
SuperCat

Post Re: Series Thread - Vs. Georgia State
Not to be negative, but I bet their poor hitting gets fixed in a hurry.

Fri May 05, 2017 12:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Our poor pitching should look better this weekend also. They will meet somewhere in the middle.

Fri May 05, 2017 1:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well, that didn't take long . . .

. .Top O the First . .

. . . 2 out . . .

. . . . and we're already down 3 zip . . .

Nothing like digging yourself into a deep hole early . . .

Fri May 05, 2017 6:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcats fall 11-7. . . .

. . . anyone surprised?

Fri May 05, 2017 9:35 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well I italicized "should" for a reason above. Our poor pitching certainly didn't look better even against the worst hitting team in the league.

GSU has their best starter going today. We need a good performance from Fraze or we could lose this series today. Reich had a surprisingly terrible start yesterday. Very disappointing.

Not that this is news to anyone, but with what is left on the schedule, we are in trouble. If the tournament was today we'd be the 8-seed playing in the play-in round against the 9-seed. But if this freefall continues in conference play we are in serious danger of missing the tournament. The teams that finish 11th and 12th aren't invited at all. 11th place is only 2 games behind us at this point. The good news is that ULM and App have even more brutal schedules to finish the season than us. I foresee both of them struggling badly down the stretch also.

We really, really need a win today.

Sat May 06, 2017 10:36 am
True Bobcat Fan

Troy fan on the Sun Belt message board:

Quote:
Texas State... wow...

Troy lost the series to Georgia State, plus they just beat a very good Minnesota, so losing to them isn't as bad as it seems.

But man... I haven't seen a baseball team crash and burn like this in a long time. It's not often you see a team that started 20-11 end up 23-24, especially a team that started out with some nice wins over Oklahoma State, Texas, Rice, and series win over Coastal Carolina.

I hate it for you Bobcats, I really do.

Sat May 06, 2017 11:01 am
SuperCat

Well damm. Just witnessed a TRIPLE PLAY.
Naturally, GS turned it on the Cats.
Sucks!

Sat May 06, 2017 5:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
Well I italicized "should" for a reason above. Our poor pitching certainly didn't look better even against the worst hitting team in the league.

GSU has their best starter going today. We need a good performance from Fraze or we could lose this series today. Reich had a surprisingly terrible start yesterday. Very disappointing.

Not that this is news to anyone, but with what is left on the schedule, we are in trouble. If the tournament was today we'd be the 8-seed playing in the play-in round against the 9-seed. But if this freefall continues in conference play we are in serious danger of missing the tournament. The teams that finish 11th and 12th aren't invited at all. 11th place is only 2 games behind us at this point. The good news is that ULM and App have even more brutal schedules to finish the season than us. I foresee both of them struggling badly down the stretch also.

We really, really need a win today.

Bobcats get that much needed win today, scoring in the B 9th to take a 10-9 victory over Ga St.

Sat May 06, 2017 7:54 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

One thing about this team, they keep playing hard until the last out. Another very good, come from behind win.
The thing I don't understand is the walks. Seven yesterday and another eight today. Most of these kids have been pitching for nine or ten years. Just can't figure this out.

Sat May 06, 2017 8:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Quote:
a team that started 20-11 end up 23-24

Sat May 06, 2017 9:34 pm
SuperCat

All of the walks baffle me as well. It seems to have become a mental issue now. I don't know what will break them out of it. Before the game started I was explaining to my brother in law about how the pitching has fallen apart and a woman turned around and let me know that N Fraze was her son. I told her that her son was one of the bright spots. She seemed happy to hear the compliment. He didn't pitch well today but I still think he has a very bright future. :eatemup:

Sat May 06, 2017 11:35 pm
SuperCat

Our pitching is just depressing. It's just hard to believe it has come to this. I can't imagine us beating the cajuns a single game in the final series. We've all heard the expression "the wheels are coming off", unfortunately we are seeing it in real time.

Sun May 07, 2017 3:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcats return to form today, dropping the third and final game of their series with GaSt. Final:11-8. Panthers take the series.

On to UL, and what will likely be another Fugly series ... . .

Sure glad The Astros are off to a good start, or I'd have no baseball to cheer at all ... .

Sun May 07, 2017 4:02 pm
SuperCat

Looking like a 10-20 conference record and another 30+ loss season. That little comeback yesterday may have cost the school $20k+ in travel expenses to fly all the way to Statesboro for a likely one and done tourney.

Do ya blame this weekend (on what should have been a home sweep by one of the bottom feeders in the conference) on Harrington's sickness or conference instability (sarcasm button).

In all honesty, the adding of the play-in game for the tourney is political correct bullshit. If you finish in the bottom 1/3 of the conference you shouldn't get to the conference tourney. Waste of time/money for all.

Sun May 07, 2017 4:34 pm