BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Arkansas St
double headed today starting at 2:30
single game Sat
weather on Sunday

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:40 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Arkansas St
Game on Saturday moved up to 1pm also. Entire series should be over by Saturday evening to avoid the Saturday night/Sunday expected rain.

Schedule/Probable Pitching Matchups:
Friday - 2:30:
#41 RHP Connor Reich (1-1, 4.20 ERA) vs. #16 RHP Bryan Ayers (2-3, 5.56 ERA)
Friday - Game 2:
#18 LHP Wes Engle (2-0, 3.67 ERA) vs. #17 RHP Peyton Culbertson (2-2, 6.33 ERA)
Saturday - 1pm:
#36 RHP Nicholas Fraze (3-1, 5.40 ERA) vs. #12 RHP Tyler Mitzel (0-2, 6.29 ERA)

Arkansas State is 12-12 overall and 2-4 in SBC play. A-State is tied for 5th in the division while TXST is alone in 1st at 5-1. The Red Wolves took 2 of 3 from ULM at home before being swept at Coastal Carolina. TXST took 2 of 3 from Coastal Carolina in San Marcos two weeks ago. A-State has the worst RPI in the conference at 247. Any home loss to them could really hurt our RPI (currently at 91). That being said, TXST has never beaten the Red Wolves at home. A-State knocked us out of the conference tournament last year in San Marcos and A-State swept this 3-game series two years ago. For whatever reason, we have struggled badly against A-State since joining the Sun Belt despite the Red Wolves typically being one of the weaker teams in the league during that time.

TXST is rolling with the same weekend rotation we've thrown for the past few weeks. It seems to be working as TXST is 11-1 over their last 12 weekend games.

Ayers has been the Friday night guy for the Red Wolves all year. He's 2-3 through 6 starts with a 5.56 ERA. He's struck out 44, walked 17, and allowing opponents to hit .285. Culbertson has been in the weekend rotation all season also, starting the season as the #3 guy before taking over the #2 spot. He's 2-2 through 6 starts with a 6.33 ERA. He's struck out 24, walked 10, and is allowing opponents to bat a whopping .310 (probably need to mash this guy). Mitzel started the season in the bullpen but has since become a starter and will be making his 4th start on Saturday. He's 0-2 on the season with 7 appearances and 3 starts. He has a 6.29 ERA and has struck out 21 to 13 walks. Opponents bat .255 against Mitzel.

The Red Wolves are pretty lackluster offensively hitting just .243 as a team. The biggest threat (both this year and last) offensively is easily 1st baseman Joe Schrimpf. Schrimpf was 2nd team all Sun Belt last year as a utility infielder (playing mostly 2nd). For his senior season Schrimpf has moved over to 1st base and is hitting .308 on the season having started all 24 games for the Red Wolves. Through 78 ABs Schrimpf has 5 doubles, 2 homers, 1 triple and is slugging .474. 2nd baseman Jeremy Brown leads the team in homers (4) and slugging (.512).

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:28 pm
Junior Bobcat

Our Starting pitching numbers have been hit or miss. Ayers has been good all season, but he had one bad outing against La Tech giving up 8 runs, and his ERA never recovered. Against Coastal last weekend he allowed 3 hits through 6 and two thirds innings of shutout baseball, but made one bad pitch and the resulting 3 run homer in the 7th ended the game.

Culbertson is an enigma. He's got the best stuff on the staff, but he just has this amazing ability to suddenly hit a brick wall. 3 hitless innings against Coastal last weekend, then he promptly gives up 7 straight its in the 4th and all 7 runs score. Same happened against ULM, 5 great innings, then suddenly he gives up 4 in the 6th.

We lost basically our entire offense to graduation last year, and lost one of our best hitters to injury early this season. Offense hasn't recovered. I will say that we are very good on the bases with a high stolen base rate when a guy can get on. We rely heavily on drawing walks and hit batters and scoring runs without getting a hit. Or getting one big hit to score a few runs.

Our Strength is that we have a lights out closer in Tyler Zuber in the pen. (.034 ERA in 24 innings pitched) and a Strong set up man in Tanner Kirby with a Sub 3 ERA over about 25 innings. Generally speaking, if we can get to the 7th inning with a lead, we win the game 95 percent of the time. The problem is getting to the 7th with a lead

Don't ask about our Middle relief. We actually don't have any. Zuber and Kirby will basically take care of every relief inning, the only time anyone else other than a starter will throw is if we are way ahead or way behind. We've been a terrible midweek team, primarily because we can't use Zuber or Kirby after extending them over the weekend. Were 11-4 on Weekends before Coastal turned us to mush last weekend. Won our first midweek game on Tuesday at Southern Illinois.

Also, rain follows us wherever we go. 6 rainouts already this season.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thanks for the extra insight chiefsfan!

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:45 pm
Junior Bobcat

Wild DH split. That's a lot more of our bullpen than I am comfortable throwing, but when your Friday guy gets hurt and your Saturday starter situation remains a mess, this is what you get.

We've got our main pen bullet in Zuber available for tomorrow if the game gets played. He could throw 5 or 6 innings if need be, so my guess is our Sunday starter is on a very short leash. My guess is that the game doesn't get played

Either way, my apologies for destroying your RPI.

Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:41 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Great job by starter by starter Fraze. Six innings 1 ER. We were winning 2 - 1. And then, bull pen problems again. Next thing you know, we were down 8 - 2. We fought back to 8 - 7 with the winning run on in the ninth. Lost 8- 7. This team doesn't quit. Record 17 -11.
With twenty eight games under our belt, I suspect we will continue to struggle with our bullpen. Hope I'm wrong.
eat'm up cats

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Harrington keeps pitching Pagano for some reason. If he is the best option we have its going to take complete games for us to win.

Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Canaquedista Man wrote:
we were down 8 - 2. We fought back to 8 - 7 with the winning run on in the ninth. Lost 8- 7. This team doesn't quit.

damn - i turned off the radio at the commercial break going into b9.

Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

RiverRatCat06 wrote:
Harrington keeps pitching Pagano for some reason. If he is the best option we have its going to take complete games for us to win.

Pagano has been bad the last 2-3 outings. I will say he looked solid early in the year. Pagano keeps running into umpires with tight strike zones and he's not a guy with good enough stuff to throw it over the plate. Bad combo. If he's not getting calls on the corner he can't be successful.

Rumor has it Pagano had some type of injury and Ty wanted to pull him during his rough inning but wasn't allowed to by the umpiring crew for some reason? Next guy after that break hit a 3-run homer. If anyone has any insight as to what happened there I'd like to know.

Really bad weekend for us. Not sure what it is about A-State since we joined the sun belt. They usually aren't good, but they usually beat us. Raffo just has Harrington's number or something.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

So basically it sounds like Fikac made a visit to the mound at some point in the inning. Not sure if it was during the same at bat that Harrington wanted to pull Pagano or not. Either way, Harrington wanted to pull Pagano claiming he was injured. Umpires wouldn't allow it due to a rule that the pitcher has to complete the at bat to the next batter following a mound visit in which the pitcher isn't pulled from the game.

Pagano then proceeded to give up a 3-run homer and the lead to that batter before being pulled.

Delay was from the umpires having to leave the field to reference the rulebook for clarification. Biggest issue with the whole situation is probably Pagano standing on the mound for 5+ minutes without throwing a pitch (or even any warmup pitches) before resuming the at bat after the delay.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ERA for RPs can be misleading. Inherited Runners Scoring % (IRS%) is of near equal importance. Wish they had the stat listed. I would think it is in all applicable software in this day and age.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Harrington virtually never brings in a reliever to start an inning either. Our relievers allow a ton of inherited runners to score.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:16 pm
SuperCat

The ump crew yesterday was an abortion.

What if Pagano was on the ground with a blown out knee? They still going to make him finish the batter?

Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:
The ump crew yesterday was an abortion.

What if Pagano was on the ground with a blown out knee? They still going to make him finish the batter?

But he wasn't. What was the injury? Was there one or were we declaring one to try and get him off the mound by bending the rules? There was no visible sign of an injury.

Probably should've just yanked him after the walk instead of talking to him.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:33 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x
Quote:
Harrington virtually never brings in a reliever to start an inning either.

Yes, I have never understood this. If you plan to pitch a number of RPs in a game, try to give them a clean slate to start with.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:13 pm