Rice 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Rice
I heard that in an effort to speed up the game, the Rice pitchers will meet Graham at the first base foul line for all conferences. The MLB made them do it. Scooters are not allowed on the field.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:30 am
Bobcat Wannabe

Post Re: Rice
It's easy to poke fun at old man Graham, but he's the one who ends up with the last laugh. I'm sure his approach to the mound is partially intentional and ultimately makes the opposing team lose a little focus because everyone sees it as a little sideshow.

The real conversation should be about how a university in downtown Houston with an undergrad enrollment of about 4,000, a total cost of about $55k-$60K and really high academic standards have a baseball program that TX ST can't even sniff.

IMO you can sum it up in two words: CULTURE & LEADERSHIP

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

graham knows more baseball than half the world combined, but he is an old ass prick, plain and simple. good friend of mine played for him and does have some great stories, particularly about him destroying berkman time and time again, but isn't a huge fan, to put it mildly.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:24 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Of course my comment was made tongue in cheek. However, for 80 years old, he looks bad!
He made the first trip to the mound and changed pitchers. The next six pitcher changes were made by Van Hook. Van Hook may have also made one trip were he didn't change pitchers. Not sure. It helped speed up the game. But, dang, those pitchers were awful.
In one inning, we had three runs score on wild pitches. In one inning! Never seen that before.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:37 am
True Bobcat Fan

The scouts were timing Graham's walk to the mound early in the game.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:50 am
True Bobcat Fan

Baseball Fan wrote:
IMO you can sum it up in two words: CULTURE & LEADERSHIP

RESOURCES

rice has been rich forever and decided long ago they were going to make baseball their one competitive sport. it's not like they have a culture of winning in anything else.

downtown houston may not be your thing, but the view at reckling is pretty killer. degree from there is aight, i guess.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Funny thing about Rice baseball is that they were terrible for most of their existence. In 83 years in the SWC, they finished in the bottom half of the conference 72 times and 24 times in last place.

Rice baseball as we all know it is relatively recent and it happened for 2 reasons, and those 2 happened around the same time. In 1992, they hired Graham...and in 1997, they moved to much easier conferences.

It was hard for Texas to oust Augie Garrido - the all-time winningest coach in college baseball. But Augie's winning percentage was only .659 at Texas. Texas as a program has an all-time winning percentage of .730.

Rice fans are making a lot of "if Texas can force out Augie, we can force out Graham" comments but I don't think it's a fair comparison. Unlike Augie, Graham literally built their program from nothing.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Rice isn't really in downtown Houston either. And for what it's worth, Houston probably produces more baseball talent than any other city in the US...certainly one of the top cities if not the top.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:49 pm