Softball 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Softball
Here is what things were looking like last week when we were the #25 RPI...they still had us as a bubble (last 4 in team) and we enter this week as a #29 RPI so hopefully they don't have us now as a (last 4 out team)

I'm a little shocked as a #25 team we were one of the last 4 teams in status... we had an RPI in the 40's last year (didn't win regular season and got blown out in conf tourney final) and yet we still snagged #3 seed last year...they currently have us as a #3 seed after the ULL series last week

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/sof ... acketology

-Bill O'Brien

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:51 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Not sure of the methodology behind their WAG here, but it looks like we might be their #2 seed, as we should be.

They are effed up if they are giving a higher seed to USC Upstate over Georgia and Louisville over South Carolina.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:07 pm
SuperCat

At least the cats softball team swept their series this weekend. R. Rupp pitched great. She had 2 complete games allowing 1 hit in each. She struck out 15 in the final game.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:27 pm
Junior Bobcat

Lady'Cats need to win the last series to finish 2nd place in conf. and get #2 seed in sunbelt tourn. Down right now 4-0 to UTA in first gm of DH today. Go 'Cats

ouch! make that 6-0 :(
hoping for GaSt, loss

Fri May 05, 2017 5:28 pm
Junior Bobcat

Yes---got a "w" in the second gm 10-3. I think that wraps-up the #2 seed for us.
Don't have to play until second day of tourny. :sign:

Fri May 05, 2017 8:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Not sweeping UTA pretty much played us out of any chance of being able to get #2 seed in NCAA tourney, might not even get #3 seed now. Pretty disappointing colllapse after a great season. Only decent chance we might have of getting #2 seed in NCAA is going 3-0 to win conf tourney. And even then they might still stick us as the #3 seed bc they like teams that finish strong and the UTA series will crush our RPI. Hell our RPI would have gone down even if we had swept them.

-Bill O'Brien

Sat May 06, 2017 5:45 pm
Junior Bobcat

Is there a big difference between #2 and #3 seeding when/if we go to a regional? i say if, but i think we should be an at large bid.

Sat May 06, 2017 8:14 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

If you have a RPI between 30 and 35, not much difference if you are a low #2 seed or a high #3 seed, these teams in this range will most likely play each other in the first round of the Regional.

UTA is quality team with RPI around 90, and no way our RPI is crushed, but it most likely will go up above 35.

Another win over ULL and it will be right back around 30 and lock in a Regional bid.

Even 2 and out in the SBC tourney does not necessarily exclude us from an at large bid like last year.

Sat May 06, 2017 9:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

HPCAT wrote:
Even 2 and out in the SBC tourney does not necessarily exclude us from an at large bid like last year.

if you're insinuating that a 2 n out was how last year's tourney went for us that wasn't the case at all we actually picked up 3 wins and gave ULL a run for their money in the semifinal game and were winning the game headed into the 4th

however this isn't last year...imo ULL is better than last year and I would say their ranking is deceiving, playing like a top 10 squad if not top 5. game 3 in our series this year was a fluke, we were fortunate to steal that game from them... we won't win a game against them this week that is the reality of it... they're a better hitting team than we are a pitching/defensive team and most importantly they're 10 times the hitting team that we are

while we have given up quite a few hits this season relative to the amount of runs we have allowed what has been killer for us is errors resulting in runs given up... 30% of our total runs allowed have been unearned... that is a recipe for disaster... if Woodard tightens up the defense and we hit a few more home runs, play some smart ball at the plate here on out we will have a great chance to make a Super it's almost as simple as that just hope that Abilene/UNM/UTA series and the loses to ULM and GaSouthern don't come back to haunt us when it comes to getting the #3 seed vs #4 seed for the NCAA

I had to go back and look bc I felt like when Rupp was on the mound we gave up quite a few runs in a few select games this year (ULL and GaSt) series then I realized nearly half of the runs were unearned for Rupp. She really is the real deal and so is Charleston!!

-Bill O'Brien

Mon May 08, 2017 7:44 am
Bobcat Wannabe

The problem with this team is we CAN"T hit. our preseason first team player has had a terrible year. Even Woodard has said we go as our 3,4 and 5 go. our 3 is an absolute stud, 4 and 5 have hit hr's but its feast or famine. This team will have a tough time if we don't throw shutouts.

Mon May 08, 2017 10:30 am
True Bobcat Fan

HPCAT wrote:
If you have a RPI between 30 and 35, not much difference if you are a low #2 seed or a high #3 seed, these teams in this range will most likely play each other in the first round of the Regional.

UTA is quality team with RPI around 90, and no way our RPI is crushed, but it most likely will go up above 35.

Another win over ULL and it will be right back around 30 and lock in a Regional bid.

good call HPCAT... we lose 2 games to a team with a record around .500 and yet we actually moved up to #29 RPI...it seems some things outside our series also shook out... mainly McNeese jumped inot the top 50 (and significant weight is given to top 50)

I didn't know that a #90 RPI qualified someone as a quality team but I guess since it was on the road it helped the SOS more so than if we had them at home

..additionally I think Costal may have been fallen out of top 100 rpi last week and jumped back in this week??? that also would have helped...if ULM and GaSouthern jumped back into the top 100 that would also help our RPI significantly (but that can't happen now that they both play each other in the first tourney game) i think at one point this season all but App was in the top 100 RPI from SBC... our RPI def would have been in top 25 (maybe 20) if that were the case

-Bill O'Brien

Mon May 08, 2017 1:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The boost in RPI is likely due to quality wins over (or just playing) opponents earlier in the season that are higher RPI. It's not just based on who you play, it is also based on your opponents and your opponents opponents.

FYI - we were 40-22 with RPI of 42 last year, finished 2nd in the SBC tourney and went to the Alabama Regional.

(Alabama, Cal, Samford, TXST)

Tue May 09, 2017 10:21 pm