Baseball S&C 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Baseball S&C
For you guys with insight into the program, what is the deal with our strength and conditioning for the baseball program?

X already summarized some of my points on the Baylor thread:

1. We've had a lot of injuries. I know this isn't always a symptom of a weak S&C program. Sometimes its just bad luck.
2. Guys are here for 3-4 years and never develop physically (small forearms, baggy pants, no power).
3. Hill gained probably 40-50 pounds in 3 years here...not good weight either. I know it didn't affect his play, he still was a baller, but it seems indicative of our conditioning.
4. Studdard was solid at the plate but he seemed to lose foot speed and arm strength every year at TXST.

-Is S&C for baseball run by Aaron Burkart, Fikac/Trout/Lemke, or does the athletic dept have a S&C coach for baseball/basketball/etc?
-Has anyone else noticed how much more athletic the teams that we play look against us?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:01 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Baseball S&C
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Part of it is recruiting the right athletes and part of it facilities, I believe the baseball team still uses Jowers and the basketball team the dungeon. To be honest, that is one area where every sport (save for track) needs upgrades on. My undergrad years I kept getting injured, but after graduation when I started using better facilities my performance took off. You'd be amazed how much a S&C facility can impact development.

Extreme example would be Goldy, look at his size/development from his TxSt days to his first year in the Majors (we won't even talk about now).

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I don't know where you're going with the Goldschmidt comment. It seems like you're insinuating that he bulked up after college, which is wrong. He was a shortstop in high school. By his junior year at TXST he bulked up and was drafted at 250 lbs. Now he plays at around 230 lbs.

He was a big dude by his junior year.

I don't think S&C was a problem back then. Maybe we were just getting better athletes but even bad athletes can noticeably develop physically in 3-4 years if they're working hard.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Here's an article where he talks about gaining weight in college and losing weight after college.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/article/Goldschmidt-among-elite-after-leaving-The-4667365.php

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Stand corrected on that.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

WHOA!!!!

February 27th, 2017 at 11:23 AM, taxman admitted he was wrong.
Put it in the history books.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:26 pm