Game Thread - Vs. Baylor 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Game Thread - Vs. Baylor
With opening weekend in the books, the Bobcats now get ready for the first mid-week contest of the season with a single game against Baylor tonight at 6pm at Bobcat Ballpark.

Probable Pitching Matchup:
#37 RHP Cam Baird (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. #40 RHP Alex Phillips (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

The Bobcats will start JUCO transfer Cam Baird tonight in his first appearance as a Bobcat. Baird is a junior who pitched the last two seasons at Trinidad State Junior College in Trinidad, Colorado. Over two seasons at TSJC Baird pitched 101.1 innings in 26 appearances (15 starts) with an 8-3 record and a 4.62 ERA. He had 79 strikeouts to 25 walks.

Baylor counters with Alex Phillips. Phillips is a redshirt junior who sat out the 2016 season with Tommy John surgery. Phillips started his college career at Arkansas in 2014. He had 8 starts in 10 appearances with the Razorbacks, going 3-0 in 30.2 innings with a 3.52 ERA. He played 2015 at San Jacinto Community College where he made 13 starts and compiled a 7-4 record with a 2.78 ERA in 68 innings.

Last weekend:
Texas State is coming off a 2-2 series split with Purdue over the weekend while Baylor enters this game undefeated at 4-0. This will be the 5th game this week for both teams. Baylor swept a 3 game series with Niagara Friday and Saturday, then beat Nevada 6-0 on Monday night. This will be their first road game of the year as all 4 previous games were played at Baylor Ballpark. Ex-Bobcat Montana Parsons started game 2 vs. Niagara for Baylor and appears to be a weekend rotation starter for the Bears this year after playing at San Jac last year.

Baylor Outlook:
Baylor was picked 7th in the 9-team Big 12 in the preseason coaches poll. They went 24-29 overall and 10-14 in the Big 12 last year, good for a tie for 6th in the league standings in Steve Rodriguez's 1st season with the Bears. After the 4-0 start they are receiving votes in the NCBWA poll released yesterday. Their 4-0 start is their best since 2012.

Baylor Relief Pitching:
Baylor's closer, Troy Montemayor, was named a preseason all-American by both Collegiate Baseball and the NCBWA. Collegiate Baseball has him as a 2nd team all-American closer and NCBWA has him as a 3rd team all-American. He has 1 save so far this year as he pitched a clean inning with 2 strikeouts against Niagara. Baylor threw less arms than the Bobcats out of the bullpen in their first 4 games. Baylor has thrown 7 relievers through 4 games vs. 10 for the Bobcats. All of TXST's relievers saw just a single appearance. Baylor has 4 relievers that saw 2 appearances over the weekend. Drew Robertson, Kyle Hill, and Joe Heineman each saw 2 appearances and still have 0.00 ERA's.

Baylor Hitting:
Baylor's offense has been led so far by the middle of their lineup with 3 main guys.
Catcher Shea Langaliers is batting 3rd and is hitting .400 through 15 ABs with 6 hits, 6 runs scored, 1 double, 1 HR, and 5 RBI.
The DH, Matt Menard, hits 4th and is leading the team in avg at .455 through 11 ABs with 5 hits, 4 runs scored, 1 double, and 2 RBI.
Right fielder Kameron Esthay bats 5th and is hitting .357 through 14 ABs with 5 hits, 5 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 HR, and 4 RBI.
This is a very dangerous part of their lineup.

Bobcats Hitting:
The Bobcats had a successful weekend at the plate against Purdue with multiple guys having big weekends.
After not playing in the opener, true freshman Zacri Sanders leads the team in avg at .500 after starting games 2 through 4 in the series. The infielder was the DH in two games and made 1 start at 2nd base. Sanders had 5 hits in 10 ABs with 1 double, 5 runs scored, and 3 RBI.
Teddy Hoffman started all 4 games in RF and hit .421 over the weekend in 19 ABs with 8 hits, 2 doubles, 1 HR, 5 runs scored, and 3 RBI.
Dylan Paul started all 4 games, either at catcher, DH, or LF and hit .412 in 17 ABs with 7 hits, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 3 runs scored, and 4 RBI.
SS Jonathan Ortega hit .375 and newcomer left fielder Travon Benton hit .308 in 3 starts.
Expect the top of the lineup to look like this for the time being:
1 - Ortega
2 - Scheible
3 - Newman
4 - Hoffman
5 - Paul

Bobcats Relief Pitching:
Still a huge unknown. 6 guys put up 0 ERAs through 1 appearance against Purdue. We also still have 5 pitchers on the active roster we haven't seen yet and I'm not sure who to expect in a closer role yet. To me the bullpen is still a wait and see spot for now so I won't get into too much detail.

One other note:
It looks like the roster was cut down from 40 to the active 35 man limit. The players cut were all pitchers:
LHPs Seth Jordan and Kevin Graff are no longer on the roster. Neither are RHPs Peyton Reich (assuming Connor's brother), Alec Sanchez, and Alex Klitsas.

Summary:
TXST has won the last 5 meetings in this series. The bobcats won a single game in 2016, swept a 3 game series in 2015, and won a single meeting in 2014. Baylor hasn't beaten the Bobcats in some time. Baylor still leads the overall series 49-24 however in a rivalry that dates back to 1919.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:54 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. Baylor
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

This will be an interesting start for Baird. I was surprised he wasn't the day one starter, but given Purdue's season last year, it felt a little like Harrington wanted to test out the young arms and our bullpen last series.

Baylor's infield/ground game will prove to be an issue for us on both sides of the ball.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Baylor's infield/ground game will prove to be an issue for us on both sides of the ball.

I have never heard "both sides of the ball" used when talking baseball. I'm not real sure what you are talking about.

Baylor has a good fielding infield?
They hit a bunch of ground balls and bunt a lot offensively?
They steal bases on a regular basis and are an aggressive base running team?

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Baylor wins 4-0.

Nice crowd.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:24 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Not having Shirley at SS gave Baylor two runs. Man, we need him back. Four balls get by the catchers. Other than getting picked off of second, Hubbard had a nice game. Looks like he maybe our 3B. He appears to be the best overall package of skills there. Newman didn't play. Hope it was just a night off. The CF got fastballs thrown by him all night.
I was surprising encouraged by our many pitchers tonight. Need starters to step forward and then sort out the rest.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:19 am
SuperCat

Someone said this 'team will be offensive all year'. Will say we had some chances leaving 12 on base.

In for a tough weekend at OKST. Likely sweep and a 2-6 start. Looking ahead I'd put the o/u on wins at 18.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:33 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

RiverRatCat06 wrote:

I have never heard "both sides of the ball" used when talking baseball. I'm not real sure what you are talking about.

Baylor has a good fielding infield?
They hit a bunch of ground balls and bunt a lot offensively?
They steal bases on a regular basis and are an aggressive base running team?

We stranded 12 people and they picked off some of our runners as well as turn
DP's. Not rocket science to discern what I meant.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:43 am
True Bobcat Fan

For the record, I also had no idea what you were talking about. I also doubt that you really knew anything about Baylor's infield prior to last night's game.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Newman appeared to hurt himself on Sunday falling while catching a pop up then didn't play last night.

Hopefully he's not added to the long list of injuries we already have this year.

tx.state pointed out that the strength and conditioning may not be up to par for the baseball program, and I think he has a point:
- Myriad of injuries
- Guys that are here 4 years don't develop much physically from their freshman to senior seasons
- Tanner Hill looked like Babe Ruth by the end of last year (his play was fine)

Half our team have twigs for forearms and can't fit their pants.

Do we even lift bro?

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:21 pm
Junior Bobcat

Its a shame that so many people showed up to watch a loss. The baseball program is dead in the water.. Should be our top sport and instead we break even every yeat. Ty is past his prime and we should have better players and coaches. Larry is partially to blame -- doesn't expect much from any coaches in our athletic programs. To be honest, I really don't have time to spend watching a three hour game only to lose. It is a shame, but hopefully we will suck enough this year to get a coaching change. We need new blood in this program.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

dmccol wrote:
Its a shame that so many people showed up to watch a loss.

We are currently 20th in the nation in average attendance.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

hello Newman is not making the trip to Stillwater according to a tweet from Ishmael Johnson

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:35 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well that's just friggin great.

Another injured infielder. Just what we need.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:41 pm
SuperCat

Apparently he hit his head when he fell.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

tx.state wrote:
For the record, I also had no idea what you were talking about. I also doubt that you really knew anything about Baylor's infield prior to last night's game.

No, I knew about our offensive output and how it plays into the ground game by the other team.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:16 pm