Series Thread - Vs. Purdue 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Series Thread - Vs. Purdue
bleed gold wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
RiverRatCat06 wrote:

Harrington is still an awful coach.

And no one jump on this post like y'all do on mine. This athletic department has always been a negative joke.

FIFY.

no no. FIFY.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:56 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

The problems surrounding this team are we have a very young pitching staff as NONE of the upperclassmen have shown through the past 3-4 years they can pitch at all. This team will be offensive all year. It kills us having Shirley out and having to have Ortega at SS because our backup SS has a broken hand. Shirley will be back in two weeks vs Richmond. Yes the team has some problems but give them a damn chance to work them out.

Now to the big problem on here.

It does the team nor the school NO good when someone gets on here and badmouths the players! they are young men! It is especially disgraceful when you call the recruits second rate high school players and the team a shit show. Even worse is if you are including your own son in these comments. Or maybe he is the pitcher on the cover with the 10+ ERA? It also does no good for the team for a dad to stand up in front of the stands or walking around pronouncing this place sucks. If that is what someone's life has come to at this point, please, DON'T GO AWAY MAD, JUST GO AWAY! HAVE A NICE DAY.

P.S. Your son is a great kid!

Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:05 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

To be clear, I'm not taking shots at players. I think we have a serious coaching problem, and, to emphasize my broken record, a serious athletic director problem because accountability is the fundamental issue for all of our underperforming sports programs for the last 10+ years. On a slightly related note, Larry didn't see fit to come out for opening day :x . Even with early injuries, there's enough basic talent on this team to have not looked as bad as we did. It smelled royally of poor preparation and ineffective practices. There were fundamentals, particularly in the infield, that were being ignored. I get players being out of position due to injury, but holy smokes was there some bad infield play.

I know I know... this was the first series of the season. There are bugs to work out. But man, what I saw on Friday was ROUGH. It sounds like things improved a bit Saturday (I missed those & Sunday), but Friday left me feeling like another terrible season looming over us. We let typically bad Purdue team score A LOT of runs, even in our two wins.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I saw the first game Saturday and half of the second game. The first game reflected very poor fundamental baseball all round the infield. Not having a SS is a killer. I still can't understand how we can go from Kubitza to nothing at third base year after year. Does anyone know if a player that could play 3B is injured?
Starting pitching is going to be a real trip this year. Anyone know who is starting tonight?

see you at the ballpark

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:10 am
Bobcat Wannabe

If you remember, Kubitza was not exactly Brooks Robinson at third(In 2010 he had 24 errors for a fielding percentage of .842. I believe that is the record for lowest fielding percentage in the history of our great school.). Our third baseman played the second game Saturday and the game Sunday. He gets a pass for now as he has not practiced in a while due to injury and wasn't supposed to play against Purdue but did. Tonight we are starting Cam Baird who is a JC transfer.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:25 am
True Bobcat Fan

I'll be at the game tonight. My first baseball game since probably 1996.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:07 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

txstlinds wrote:
I'll be at the game tonight. My first baseball game since probably 1996.

You picked a good one to attend, that was quite a comeback.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:18 am
True Bobcat Fan

Kubitza was an awful 3rd baseman. Guy could mash though.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:25 am
SuperCat

bobcatforlife19 wrote:
The problems surrounding this team are we have a very young pitching staff as NONE of the upperclassmen have shown through the past 3-4 years they can pitch at all. This team will be offensive all year. It kills us having Shirley out and having to have Ortega at SS because our backup SS has a broken hand. Shirley will be back in two weeks vs Richmond. Yes the team has some problems but give them a damn chance to work them out.

Now to the big problem on here.

It does the team nor the school NO good when someone gets on here and badmouths the players! they are young men! It is especially disgraceful when you call the recruits second rate high school players and the team a shit show. Even worse is if you are including your own son in these comments. Or maybe he is the pitcher on the cover with the 10+ ERA? It also does no good for the team for a dad to stand up in front of the stands or walking around pronouncing this place sucks. If that is what someone's life has come to at this point, please, DON'T GO AWAY MAD, JUST GO AWAY! HAVE A NICE DAY.

P.S. Your son is a great kid!

Looks like we got us a new mommy. Welcome :-||

Now lets address a few finer points. The few posters we have left on here are alumni, ex players, friends of ex players/coaches, 25-35 yrs old, baseball fans. Don't know of any daddys but always good to hear from them. Most I talked to in the past have strong opinions on the program.

Now to the program: If there's one sport we should be relevant in it's baseball. We have the student body, facilities, attendance, location, etc to be a contender most years and not once a decade. Most of us remember the good old days when we were a baseball school and the program was the pride of the school. We built a first class facility and appeared to be on or way. It didn't last and has been trending the opposite of late. Our RPI from to 2011 was 40, 73, 129, 93, 160, 151, and sits at 232 this season. D1baseball.com listed the top 100 programs awhile back and we were no where to be found. It had 8 Texas schools, 5 Sun Belt schools and 2 Southland schools. To me it shows where we stand in the eyes of the baseball world and it filters down to JUCO coaches, summer coaches, high school coaches and the reason we don't recruit as well as we should.

Now with that said we have had some talent come thru. Since 2011 we've had 23 players drafted (mostly pitchers) and have managed to be mediocre at best in that span. You tell me, is it coaching, injuries, youth or just bad luck that we haven't been good for awhile? Hell, we had 5 guys drafted off last year's team that barely finished above .500..that's hard to do. This will likely be the first year since 2002 we don't have a single player drafted. Next year, maybe 1.

This year's team: I'll agree it's early but when you see what we saw this past weekend it's hard not to panic. I mean it wasn't just some close losses in well played games like happens in baseball, it was ugly baseball in poorly played games against a weak opponent. This is D1 baseball and if we can't get on here and vent then Lord help us. If you're used to high school baseball message boards where the mommys and daddys rule the board then you're in for a long ride.

I made the comment about the promotional poster featuring a few players with less than sterling stats and I stand by it as the epitome of a poor program. It's not a personal attack on the individuals. Let's be honest, this program has gone stale and needs a jolt.

As far as calling out players/coaches, I don't have a problem with it so everyone knock yourselves out. These 'young men' are supposed to be D1 athletes and that comes with the territory. If you think that effects the team or the young men then we've got bigger problems. We're paying customers and have opinions and I don't recall anything other than honest critique of performance. I kind of like Dylan "Passed Ball" Paul and wish I would have coined it. Anyway, the overall tone of most of our bitching is more coaching than playing. The players come and go but we're stuck with the coaching. UT had gone stale as well and made a change finally and you can already see more energy around the program.

I for one probably won't be around as much. Have a new bobcat on the way and will be changing many 'shit show' diapers so I'll have to watch from a distance. Maybe by the time he is old enough to drag to the stadium we'll be relevant again.

Hoping for a better showing tonight...

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bobcatforlife19 wrote:
It does the team nor the school NO good when someone gets on here and badmouths the players! they are young men! It is especially disgraceful when you call the recruits second rate high school players and the team a shit show.

there's a huge difference between badmouthing the players vs the play. i haven't seen a single post on here saying anything bad about the players. it's the play that's the problem, not the young men themselves.

their play is 100% up for discussion, and if it's second rate high school quality, there's no reason not to post that - this is a forum to talk about the teams we support, both good and bad.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Canaquedista Man wrote:
Does anyone know if a player that could play 3B is injured?

The one infielder on the roster other than Sherley we haven't seen yet is sophomore Ethan Klosterboer. If we have another injured infielder it has to be him.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:05 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

We have seen everybody that is healthy enough to play the field.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:32 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
bobcatforlife19 wrote:
It does the team nor the school NO good when someone gets on here and badmouths the players! they are young men! It is especially disgraceful when you call the recruits second rate high school players and the team a shit show.

there's a huge difference between badmouthing the players vs the play. i haven't seen a single post on here saying anything bad about the players. it's the play that's the problem, not the young men themselves.

their play is 100% up for discussion, and if it's second rate high school quality, there's no reason not to post that - this is a forum to talk about the teams we support, both good and bad.

This.

I have had season tickets 7-8 years now. I have spent more $ on hot dogs at Bobcat Ballpark than most people have on tickets. I can also tell within about 4 games if a guy can hit next level pitching.

Sorry in advance to the Ben Mcelroy fans:
I saw him play his first 2 or 3 games his freshman year. I said this kid cant play. Harrington ran him out there for 4 years, the guy couldn't play. Guess it was the best we could do. Harrington cant recruit and we get the bottom 1/3 of high school baseball talent, it's that simple. It has been like this since Mattlock left. It sucks for baseball fans.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:55 pm