Less than a month to opening day 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Less than a month to opening day
Any news to report from anyone in the know?

Team is pretty young with just 3 seniors on the 40 man roster listed (think it needs to be pared down to 35 by opening day). Makeup of the team is 3 seniors, 13 juniors, 12 sophomores, and 12 freshman with 25 pitchers and 15 position players.

The lineup looks pretty easy to predict to me:
C - Huber (Rodriguez backup)
1b - Newman
2b - Ortega
3b - Hubbard or Scott
SS - Sherley
LF - Paul or Sheible
CF - Sheible or Almendarez
RF - Hoffman

Along with the returners above we brought in two new infielders in sophomore Ethan Klosterboer and Jr. Zacri Sanders. Also two new utility guys in Jr. Travon Benton and Fr. Cole Coffee.

I can't even begin to tell you what to expect from the pitching staff. I wouldn't know where to start in predicting a rotation or any bullpen roles.

We return 9 pitchers that had an appearance last year and have 16 new pitchers on the roster. Only one of the 9 had a start last year and that's Brandon Lewis who was the mid-week starter early in the season before Geisler was fully healthy. Lewis started 6 games and had a 2-1 record. The other 8 all came out of the bullpen last year and no one saw more than 20 IP except for Lewis and Brayden Theriot.

Hopefully someone with some connections to the team can help give us a visual of what to expect from the pitching staff.

Opening day is February 17th.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:11 pm
SuperCat

Post Re: Less than a month to opening day
Sad that there is obviously little to no excitement for this team/sport anymore as evidenced by the responses to x's post.

IMO, gonna be another long year. Think x is pretty close with that lineup but it doesn't really matter if it's off slightly, deck chairs on the Titanic basically. You can arrange em any way you want, ship is still sinking. Return dick for pitching staff and add a horrible freshman class and you get a team picked to finish 4th in West (6 teams in each division) or basically 9th in you looked at the total 12 teams in the conference per D1baseball.com.

Here's the tale of the tape; D1baseball.com lists top 20 prospects for '17 draft, top 10 for '18 draft and top 10 impact Freshman. Here's a breakdown by school -

Coastal. - 9
ULL. - 8
Ga Sthrn. - 8
South Al. - 5
UALR. - 3
Ark St. - 3
Troy. - 2
Ga St. - 2
TXST. - 0

Amazing that in a baseball rich state like ours we don't have a single player considered in top 40 (although I think Ortega belongs). Others with no players on list - App St, UTA, ULM

Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Nobody talking baseball because no one on here knows what we have or has an inside track. The one person that I know has that info hasn't posted. We can't speculate with zero info and absolute silence.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:31 am
SuperCat

I am excited about the season personally. I actually think the new recruits are a pretty good class. The new pitchers coming in should make an impact. Time will tell though.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I am ready for baseball season but agree that it's a big unknown coming in. I hope to see the team improve from last year and get back to the glory days of 10 years ago but I doubt it will happen.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Hopefully this season is a carry over from last season, where a lot of underclassmen saw significant playing time and we had some quality wins. People close to the program have high hopes for this team.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:16 pm