What's happening to the talk? 
True Bobcat Fan

Post What's happening to the talk?
Alright guys, time to quit pouting. Let's get the baseball talk going again.
If we can't talk about faults, then there's nothing to talk about with this program.
I've been following Bobcat baseball since Dr. Poole ran the club team. We've had some degree of success and some failure, but we always support the team.
To me, the fun of baseball is second guessing the action. The situations that occur in baseball are what I like about the game. Should you walk the bases loaded for a force situation? Suicide squeeze? Hit behind the runner? Stick with the starter for another batter? Why is this guy starting--he strikes out a lot with his bat on his shoulder. Why can't we bunt?

My big question with this team is why we lose so much to good teams and beat up on the bad ones? What will it take to get over the hump and enjoy the success we had several years ago?
Can Ty still get the job done? I don't think these are negative questions--just stuff that is interesting and needs to be aired.

If you look at all of our major athletic programs, we suffer from this same fault--beating the ones we should and losing to apparently better competition. Why can't we get over the hump?

It is discouraging to always find a way to lose the key game and discussing why it might be happening is part of being a fan. At least to me.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: What's happening to the talk?
In the 5th, losing 7-Zip . . . If it holds up, we'll be 6 -11 over our last 17. Fine point in the season for a melt down. This IS what Good Team's do, isn't it?

Sh$t's getting old . .. . . and not just Baseball . . . For whatever reason,our entire Athletic Department is lacking . .

This past year our Football sucked . .. AGAIN

Basketball sucked . . . AGAIN

and Baseball currently SUCKS . .

SUCKING, seems to be the one constant in San Marcos . . ..

It's MY school, and I'll always support 'em, but Sh$t's getting old with our Athletics . . .

New Day, Same ol' Bobcats . . . .

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:38 pm
SuperCat

I'll bite and here's my two cents on the program.

If there is a program at TXST where we can and should compete with the big boys it's baseball. Other sports in all honesty might have their moments (we hope) but will never be able to compete at the highest level like baseball can. We have the facility, the location, the enrollment, the river, the u name it. Add it all up and we aren't getting much of a return on the investment.

We've moved up to a respectable conference and we're really not more than an also ran. I still think if this program had the right leadership that could tap into all the things we have to offer this school could have one of the better programs in the state. I posted a link earlier this year listing the top 100 programs in the country and we were nowhere to be found. 8 schools from Texas were listed (including Sam and DBU and 5 other Sun Belt schools made the list. Absolutely no excuse for TXST not to be listed.

Now you have to ask, why? For me, it all starts at the top. We're not getting the types of players we should to compete. I wish we'd do a better job recruiting the juco guys. Somehow we've gotten away from those types of players and focused entirely on freshman classes. While we find some talent we'll never find enough to have consistent teams. If we layered in the juco guys we'd have a better mix. We don't have a good rep with the high school coaches or more importantly the summer coaches. Our leader doesn't get involved in the recruiting process at all. Instead he sits back and waits for his assistants to bring them to him. Works if you're a destination school (i.e. Texas, A&M, Arkansas, etc), doesn't work if you're a TXST. You get the better kids by out hustling the competition and showing them you really want them here.

That's my macro view. We could talk all day about our in-game management but to me it's just rearranging the deck chairs on the Tytanic (see what I did there :P ). I would love to see what an energetic, young baseball guy could do with this program.

For now, as Belichick says it's on to Texas A&M (and then ULL) :oops:

Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I agree fulling with tiggercat. We had 19 pitchers listed on our roster. 19!. Yet we can not find one person to fill the closer role. This ties in with what he posted. Piss poor recruiting. We need to bring in a juco 3B and C next year. As confusing as the use of pitchers has been this year, imagine what it will be like next year.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:06 am
True Bobcat Fan

I've been saying this for 7 or 8 years, Harrington can't get the job done. He is a very below average recruiter, he can't develop the players he does get on campus, and his in game management is poor. Throw in his Ty's inability to manage a pitching staff through a 55 game schedule and you end up with a .500 ball club every season.

It's no coincidence this program has been complete crap since Matlock left after the 2012 season. He was our recruiting coordinator and pitching coach. We had 4 or 5 consecutive SLC pitchers of the year under Matlock, put guys in the draft every year.

Since he left... Pitching staff not too good and I think we can all agree the overall skill level of the team has decreased significantly. Harrington is the problem and he will be coaching here for as long as he wants. Like most things with TXST athletics it's very depressing.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thanks for the discussion, gentlemen. I agree with everything said.
Looking at this team right now, it is obvious that we would be much better with a reliable fielding third baseman and a closer that can throw strikes.
What does it take to change the mindset of kids--good athletes--to just get them to do the basic fundamentals that would produce winning baseball?
I had great hopes with the new batting coach and the aggression on the bases. But that seems gone now. We still strike out too much with the bat on our shoulders. We can't get the ball out of the infield with runners in scoring positions. Can't get outs in the late innings.
There is no reason that we should be a middle of the road program in the Sun Belt in baseball (or softball for that matter). There just doesn't seem to be any urgency to WIN. Oh well, we competed as good as we could, just send us your money and don't complain--RIGHT???

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:39 pm
SuperCat

Well that makes the official primary vote 3-0. I'll make the call to Trauth in the morning.

Meanwhile, we still have to lace em up and see what we can do to get the ship back on track. Sitting in 4th right now with a couple of tough series ahead. At ULL and Troy at home. Only 3 games out of 8th so can't afford to go worse than 2-4. That series sweep at Ga Southern was huge. Without it we would be in deep doo doo. May still come down to that last weekend at UTA like t did last year. Nolan has us predicted to finish conference at 15-15, so go 6-9 from here on out in conference. Sounds about right and would put us in the middle of the pack in conference standings. All moot point as it comes down to the conference tourney. Just have to make sure we're there first.

Sad news is App St took 2/3 from South Al this weekend. Conference was/is there for the taking. Wasn't overwhelmed with South Al when they were here and ULL isn't the juggernaut I'd thought they'd be but they have Clement back and he makes their offense go.

Get to the tourney and see what happens. Hell, almost pulled off a miracle last year.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Well what do you expect from the zero-accountability athletic department, athletic director & president?

I gave Ty this season to get things back on track. The program is continuing to flounder & regress, and it is increasingly clear the problem is at the top. I don't like saying it because I like Ty, but it is time to move on.

Could not agree more on the Matlock comments.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:07 am
True Bobcat Fan

Tiggercat, if we can somehow start hitting with runners in scoring position, we can make the tournament and maybe do some damage. Just doing basic fundamentals will help a lot.
I hope Ty can get it together soon.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:26 am
True Bobcat Fan

geezer wrote:
Tiggercat, if we can somehow start hitting with runners in scoring position, we can make the tournament and maybe do some damage. Just doing basic fundamentals will help a lot.
I hope Ty can get it together soon.

We're more than halfway through the season, a little better than .500, and you're hoping that Ty can get it together soon?

The time to "get it together" has come and gone. . . .

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

nothing says we're *this close* like getting swept at home by a sub .500 team.

it's about to get real ugly. 4 straight losses, @ #3 tamu tonight, @ ulala, @ texas... could be 9 straight when we come home to play troy next weekend.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:14 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
nothing says we're *this close* like getting swept at home by a sub .500 team.

it's about to get real ugly. 4 straight losses, @ #3 tamu tonight, @ ulala, @ texas... could be 9 straight when we come home to play troy next weekend.

ULL ranked in the top 25 also so we'll have 4 straight against ranked opponents on the road.

Yeah it could get ugly.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:54 am
SuperCat

Could be on the cusp of a 12 game losing streak if things go as predicted.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't find a way to take at least one at ULL this weekend. Easy to get up playing at their place in front of those fans. Went in there a couple of years ago and took one and almost won the series and they were ranked #1 for a part of that year.

We were on a 4 game losing streak when we went to Georgia Southern this year and swept them so anything can happen. ULL has underperformed this year but is starting to get hot like they did last year. UALR took 2/3 from ULL at their place earlier this season so its doable but the ULL bossman knows how to manage a full season to be playing their best baseball in May.

I just hope we can stay competitive against A&M tonight like we were last year when losing in extras. Hennigan is starting but look for him to only go 2 or 3 innings even if he's throwing well. Ty would like to have him ready for the weekend in case he wants to slot him in there over a slumping starter.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'm not even really upset about this season, yes we're not very good, but I had pretty low expectations for this season.

The thing I am upset about is the state of our program and how we play baseball. The cupboard is dry in regards to pitching every single year, we continually field 2-3 guys that would not play for any other D1 program, and we play terrible fundamental baseball. These same problems have been occurring since 2012 when Matlock left.

It's extremely frustrating to watch. I have not seen any progress with this program in a long time.

I have seen a few good young hitters this season so that is encouraging.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Getting ugly already. 3-0 in the 1st. 2 on, 1 out.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:49 pm