Time for Harrington to hang up the cleats? 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Time for Harrington to hang up the cleats?
How many more seasons do we give him before he can show that he still recruits like he did for the 2012 roster?

Ballew
Turner
Pitts
Adamek
Finnegan
McVaney
Lemke
Black
Grist
Head
Williams
Goebel

When/Will Harrington be able to ever put together a 2012 pitching staff with this depth or a lineup with a knack for getting on base and consistently putting up double digit run games like the 2010 roster did?

Sibley
Martinson
Kubitza
McVaney
Livingstone
Atwood
Stumph
Vest

3 very down seasons and perhaps another on the way... how many more can we take? Baseball used to be the only thing we had to live for- now what?

Last edited by Bobbumman on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:31 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Time for Harrington to hang up the cleats?
That's a hard one. The guy did such a wonderful job until things started falling apart for him. He's coming off of a huge fight and just now getting back on his feet hopefully. I am willing to give him a few more seasons just out of respect.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:28 am
True Bobcat Fan

We've very rarely been able to have a solid pitching staff and lineup in the same year (with the exception of maybe the 2009 team) but at least in the past we had years where we had a lineup that averaged over .300 OR a team ERA under 4. At least when we had ONE of those seasons it inspired hope. At this point I would take our 7,8,9 hole or even bench players and our #5-#9 midweek pitchers from the 09-12 era and have them play every single inning of the 2016 season. Sunbelt is supposedly considered a step up from Southland (I guess) and I get that even though regional bid FAU was good and jumped ship the season before we started. But our non-conference schedule has remained about constant since 2012, so there isn't much slack to cut for strength of schedule. 2013 season we spent in a deteriorated WAC conf and still couldn't even produce a regional bid with that schedule.

We need answers. This is the state of Texas. There really isn't a reason why we should not be receiving regional bids on a regular basis.

Edit: We return one player with a 2015 BA of over .275 and one 2015 pitcher with an ERA of less than 5 and more than 30 innings pitched

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:32 am
True Bobcat Fan

Harrington wasn't involved with last year's squad at all. I'm willing to give him a pass for last season.

Sun Belt is a huge leap up from the Southland. Our first year in the league the conference had the top-ranked team in the country at the end of the regular season. ULL is ranked 18th in the preseason polls right now, Coastal Carolina is ranked 24th and they will be joining the league this summer. Not that the Southland was a bad league, but the Sun Belt is considerably better.

We've only had 1 losing season, and our coach had far more important things to worry about than baseball. Calm down.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:36 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
1 losing season

I guess we should chalk up the 29-29 2013 season and 30-28 2014 season as victories for bobcat baseball then since a .500 record and 2 games above .500 are not losing records

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:32 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I agree about our downward trajectory toward mediocrity. I think it probably is time for a fresh face in the baseball program.

I'll give a bye on last season--there was so much instability with Ty's health situation, etc. Had that season not occurred, I'd be saying to warm up his seat a little.

If the next two seasons continue to fester in mediocrity (or we hard-tank this season), then it is time for change.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

fair.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:48 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I had to think long and hard before renewing my tickets this year. In the end, the tickets were renewed. If I ever give them up, I will never be able to get seats that good again.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I was talking about this during the 2013 and 2014 seasons. The worst team we have had in about a decade was last year and I expect this year to be worse.

Harrington wont be shown door, he will have to retire.

I want a new coach. Harrington took us as far as we could go in 2011, he probably will never get us back to that point and I highly doubt he ever gets us to a super regional.

This program went with Mattlock leaving.

Sucks because baseball is my favorite sport.

I am also with C-man, I dont want to renew my season tickets but I have to because I will never be able to get them back if I dont renew.

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

RiverRatCat06 wrote:
I am also with C-man, I dont want to renew my season tickets but I have to because I will never be able to get them back if I dont renew.

Glad we at least have this problem in 1 sport.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:08 am
True Bobcat Fan

[quote="RiverRatCat06"]I

.[/quote

Bingo. Fikac is also a problem that no one acknowledges. Said it before. Scouts have no idea how this a D1 team.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:12 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

GreenParrot wrote:
RiverRatCat06 wrote:
I

.[/quote

Bingo. Fikac is also a problem that no one acknowledges. Said it before. Scouts have no idea how this a D1 team.

Agreed. The base issue seems to be Harrington failing to surround himself with better quality assistants to augment any weaknesses he has (even with budget limitations). It seems like we've lost an eye for recruiting and game management/substitutions has been suspect at best for the last several seasons.

I wouldn't mind him finding a different role in the athletic department after this season. He certainly won't be fired and I don't think his head is in a place where he is really ready to retire.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:23 am
True Bobcat Fan

coach harrington is hands down my favorite coach on campus, but things were going south long before last year. i don't want to pile on a guy who just fought off cancer, so i'm not calling for his job, but we really should expect more out of this program overall.

Quote:
Harrington wasn't involved with last year's squad at all.

except for recruiting all the players and hiring all the coaches.
Quote:
Sun Belt is a huge leap up from the Southland. Our first year in the league the conference had the top-ranked team in the country at the end of the regular season.

that's one team out of ten. we are .500 in conf since joining the sunbelt.
Quote:
Not that the Southland was a bad league, but the Sun Belt is considerably better.

over the last 3 years, the sunbelt has put 1 more team into the tournament than the southland, and that team isn't in the sunbelt anymore (fau). i can buy that the sbc is better even though the tournament bids don't reflect that, but i don't buy that it's considerably better top to bottom, and certainly not a "huge leap." last year both confs had 5 teams w/ 30 wins, both had 42 game winners and our confs were seeded 3/4 in the same regional. if there's a gap, i don't see it being anywhere near as large as the gap in football between the confs.
Quote:
We've only had 1 losing season, and our coach had far more important things to worry about than baseball.

it's been 4 seasons since we've been to the tourney. after our run from 09-11, i thought we were in a position to be that ull type of team that was going to be a mid-major force, but we haven't even been competitive the last 3 years.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The past couple of seasons we have fielded teams that consists of a line up that has 4-5 guys that can't play baseball.
This has resulted in baseball that is difficult to watch, much less see us be competitive. I hope this year is different but my expectations are very low.

Ty is the head coach and this program should not be in this condition. He needs to turn this around quickly.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:16 pm
SuperCat

I always cringe/laugh when I read about Harrington getting a pass from last year. He was directly responsible for everything that saw the field last year. He even came back to the dugout for the stretch run.

Listened to his media day spiel. Same old tired rhetoric. He's Fran with a more likable personality. Anyone really think we can sprinkle in a few freshman and guys not good enough to play last year and be any better? As mediocre as we were last year we still lost a lot of production. This year's predicted 3rd place conference finish is almost as bad as last year's predicted 2nd place finish. My hope is we at least make the conference tourney, especially since we're hosting :oops:

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:56 am