How many wins next season? 

How many wins are you expecting next season?
40 + 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
35-39 55%  55%  [ 11 ]
30-34 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
25-29 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

How many wins next season? 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post How many wins next season?
Frankly, I think this team should be shooting for 40 every year from here on out, but will we be in rebuilding mode next season? Thoughts?

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:09 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: How many wins next season?
SanMarcosWay wrote:
Frankly, I think this team should be shooting for 40 every year from here on out, but will we be in rebuilding mode next season? Thoughts?

I don't know if I would say that we will be in rebuilding mode next year.

A starting lineup that consist of:
Tyler Sibley
Brett Atwood
Keith Prestridge
Kyle Kubitza
Jason Martinson
Kyle Livingstone
Jordan Kopycinski
Lauren Randell

Is still an EXTREMELY potent lineup. And a 1-2 weekend punch of Brian Borski and Garret Carruth is very solid. Plus we still have Michael Russo as the closer. And with the likes of Covey Morrow, Mitchell Pitts, Jeff McVaney, Matt Steiner, Bryant Rutledge, Rory Myers to choose from not to mention a few transfer pitchers, I think we can easily fill the #3 weekend starter and a few middle relief pitchers that we lost.

And that is also leaving out what is supposed to be another very talented freshman class coming in. I think that we will be just as dangerous as we were this year. Lets not forget we gave away several games early in the season because our relief staff was so shaky. While I am not sure we will have someone post the type of numbers that especially Kane Holbrooks posted for us this year, pitching wise. I think we certainly will prove to be a deeper staff than we were this year.

As for our offense, losing Goldschmidt will hurt, but lets not forget that opposing pitchers spent a large part of last year not pitching to Goldschmidt last year anyway. And the biggest loss in losing Ben will not be his offense as Jordan Kopycinski can put up very good offensive numbers as well, but will be missing his throwing out of runners. Not to mention, Lauren Randall did post .323 batting average his freshman year and a .338 batting average his sophomore year.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I think we should be very good next year. How about this lineup?

1B Livingstone Or Kubitza Depending on Gallegos
2B Sibley
3B Kubitza or Martinson Depending on Freshman SS Gallegos
SS Martinson or Gallegos
C Kopicynski
LF TBD Poosibly a fresman named Daniel Neuman from Houston Memorial
CF Atwood
RF Randall
DH Stumph from Katy(Prestridge is gone)

Pitching should be much improved. We have a bunch of lefthanders coming and Carruth and Pitts are having great summers. We have 2 very good JC pitchers coming in and both should contend for the weekend.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:36 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

baseballnut wrote:
I think we should be very good next year. How about this lineup?

1B Livingstone Or Kubitza Depending on Gallegos
2B Sibley
3B Kubitza or Martinson Depending on Freshman SS Gallegos
SS Martinson or Gallegos
C Kopicynski
LF TBD Poosibly a fresman named Daniel Neuman from Houston Memorial
CF Atwood
RF Randall
DH Stumph from Katy(Prestridge is gone)

Pitching should be much improved. We have a bunch of lefthanders coming and Carruth and Pitts are having great summers. We have 2 very good JC pitchers coming in and both should contend for the weekend.

When and why is Prestridge is gone? Where did you get that from?

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:05 pm
SuperCat

Heard both Prestridge and Myers are gone. Apparently signed Andrew LaCombe C, Southlake Carroll and he's supposed to be a hitter of similar ilk to Stumph. Don't forget redshirt Nico Taylor (transfer from Arizona) and Cody Gambill may play a role in the OF as well.

The 2 JUCO pitchers coming in should be able to step right in and hopefully 1 or 2 of the freshmen. Rutledge seems to have had a really good summer in the MINK league and Steiner pitched well before straining a muscle. Pitts is pitching really well in the Texas Collegiate League.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

It's true. Prestridge is gone and yes that will hurt but I think we can make up for it (I think with Stumph.)

I've heard that they are attempting to move Livingstone to first but keep in mind last year we moved Loftin to short. Just because they are trying to move him doesn't mean it will work.

So in my mind here is how we lay.

Atwood (CF)
Martinson (SS)
Sibley (2nd)
Kubitza (3rd)
Stumph (DH)
Livingstone (1st)
Randell (RF)
Kope (C)
Nico Taylor (LF)

I know there are A LOT of things in this line up that need defending.

Sibley hitting 3rd in the order being a big one. I think we will lack a lot of power next year and need to take advantage of his ability to hit the long ball. Also, I think having that much speed at the top of the order could be killer but that may be my opinion only.

Randell has the ability to hit at the top of the line up if he returns to form but until then I think he should take the bottom half.

I think Stumph starts at DH from day one. He is a great hitter.

It's anyones guess out in left field and I've decided to toss redshirt freshman Nico Taylor out there. Who ever it is I am confident they will have some game because we have probalby 5 people to choose from.

I think Kubitza's power will increase with a full off season and he can take over the clean up spot but that is a big stretch on my part.

That's just my early take on it.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:31 pm
SuperCat

Don't see moving Sibley out of lead-off, primarily because he takes a lot of pitches and doesn't strike out. Also, when he gets on base he sets things up nicely for Brett.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:47 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Ok, since no one really answered I'll ask...what happened to Prestridge???????

Don't say he's gone, we got that part. We want details.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:25 pm
SuperCat

My understanding is that he hopes to sign a free agent contract and start a professional career.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:56 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Prestridge wanted to start his Pro career and I for one wish him good luck.

I am with 3and2, Tyler and Bret 1&2 should be set in stone. Period. The 2 of them scored over 130 runs and had over 160 hits between them. Why mess with that........

Kubitza, Stumph, JMart and Randell should give plenty of power along with Stoner.

Kope, by the way, is a very good Defensive Catcher. And he will hit just fine.

This team will be younger, but they all have plenty of experience and they still have great chemistry.

Have heard great things about the pitching coming in to go along with what we have returning and I feel this might be the deepest staff in a few years.

40 is very obtainable...............

Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

funny, here it is almost August and I am sitting grinning about Bobcat baseball.
life is good!

Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:06 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

sweat64 wrote:
Sibley hitting 3rd in the order being a big one. I think we will lack a lot of power next year and need to take advantage of his ability to hit the long ball. Also, I think having that much speed at the top of the order could be killer but that may be my opinion only.

Randell has the ability to hit at the top of the line up if he returns to form but until then I think he should take the bottom half.

I think Stumph starts at DH from day one. He is a great hitter.

It's anyones guess out in left field and I've decided to toss redshirt freshman Nico Taylor out there. Who ever it is I am confident they will have some game because we have probalby 5 people to choose from.

I think Kubitza's power will increase with a full off season and he can take over the clean up spot but that is a big stretch on my part.

That's just my early take on it.

I wouldn't say that we will be lacking alot of power. No, we may not have quite the power that we had this year, but few teams have NEAR that much power in their lineup.

If Kyle Kubitza's power increases from last year to this year (which is certainly possible as he is only a freashman), he may well hit MORE HR's this year than Goldschmidt did. Lets not forget that he hit 6 HR's in only 97 AB's. If he is one of our everyinning guys this year like Goldschmidt was last year, even on last years average HR's per AB. He would hit 12 to 14 HR's.

Sibley - 8-10 HR's (just not sure I am ready to expect Sibley to hit 10 HR's again this year, hopefully he will though)
Kubitza - 12-15 HR's
Jason Martinson - 8-10 HR's
Kyle Livingstone - 6-8 HR's
Jordan Kopycinski - 3-5 HR's
Laurn Randell - 3-5 HR's

That is still plenty of power, and that isn't counting how many HR's Stumph, or Nico Taylor (or who ever starts in LF) brings to the table.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:39 am