Top down.... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Top down....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

From the top down, this is the most talented basketball team coming back we have ever had in my time in Bobcat land. If Sule can put on some weight in the offseason and refine his inside presence just a tad and if Shelby Adams finally starts living up to his talent and potential as a quality complement to Pearson on the starting frontcourt, this team is going to go places next spring. I was watching the Bucks vs Raptors yesterday, and it was interesting to see how similar Sule and Paskal Siakam's plaing styles were.

Fri May 24, 2019 10:02 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Top down....
I have concerns.

At point guard I wish we could keep Jaylen Shead around for his senior year (not to mention his younger brother looks like the real deal and our slim chances of landing him go out the window probably without his older brother sticking around). We probably get a little weaker at PG without Shead returning, BUT, Marlin Davis should finally be back from his ACL injury and Mason Harrell will be a sophomore. How we fare at PG probably depends on how well Davis can bounce back from this injury that has sidelined him for about 1.5 years now. Incoming freshman Micah Thomas's tape looked pretty good, similar player to Harrell.

Shooting guard is a bit scary with Nottingham graduating. Not sure who to expect to start there, but your boy Shelby Adams would be my guess. He's mostly been backing up Pearson at the 3, but with literally no experience returning at shooting guard he may get the nod there. Will be a bevy of newcomers vying for playing time too with Caleb Asberry, DeShawn Davidson, and maybe Drew Tennial.

Pearson has the 3 on lockdown. We know Adams knows the position but he may slide to SG. Drew Tennial may be Pearson's heir at the position and my guess is he's the primary backup and is groomed to take over once Pearson graduates. Newcomer Isiah Small could prob play here but numbers dictate he probably plays the 4 this year looking at the roster.

Scariest position on the court is the 4 for me with Peacock graduating. Who starts this year? Quentin Scott? Like I just said I think newcomer Isiah Small is probably the other option here. Neither of those guys are 3-point threats so this team will look a lot different this year without a 3-point threat at the 4. Our 3 most recent 4s were all stretch 4s and big time 3-point threats (Peacock, Prijovic, KGT). Those days are gone for at least 1 season it looks like. Maybe Sule can play the 4 too? He has next to no offensive game outside of 4-5 feet from the basket though.

Center should be in decent shape as everyone returns so you'd think we'd only get better there. This wasn't a position of strength really this past year but still. Terry, Sule, Chandler Davis can hold it down for a year and we added a 6'9" walk-on last week for depth in Clayton Carpenter from Beaumont West Brook.

We only return two starters this year (Pearson and Terry). Anytime there's that much change to the starting 5 I'll have some concerns. I do have pretty lofty expectations after this past year though. Need to keep moving this program forward.

Fri May 24, 2019 10:38 am
True Bobcat Fan

I read all of that, but didn't find the name of someone that could dependably knock down an open jump shot when the game is on the line. Did I miss it?

Anyway, there's always next year!!! :D

Fri May 24, 2019 11:52 am
True Bobcat Fan

Nijal Pearson.

Fri May 24, 2019 12:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Is that the guy who went one for eight or two for ten (or something like that) down the stretch this year?
In some important games down the stretch?

Sat May 25, 2019 12:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

1 or 2 bad games isn't a reason to overlook 30 good ones.

Sat May 25, 2019 12:36 pm
True Bobcat Fan

How many games did we lose because no one stepped up to make the last shot? Too many at the end of the season. Want to see someone that can do it when it counts.

Sun May 26, 2019 12:18 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

geezer wrote:
Is that the guy who went one for eight or two for ten (or something like that) down the stretch this year?
In some important games down the stretch?

Hate to agree here, but Pearson does a disappearing act when other teams focus on stopping him. That's been the case all three years he has been here. Without someone to complement him and take the pressure off, he misses shots by the dozen.

Fri May 31, 2019 9:05 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
I have concerns.

At point guard I wish we could keep Jaylen Shead around for his senior year (not to mention his younger brother looks like the real deal and our slim chances of landing him go out the window probably without his older brother sticking around). We probably get a little weaker at PG without Shead returning, BUT, Marlin Davis should finally be back from his ACL injury and Mason Harrell will be a sophomore. How we fare at PG probably depends on how well Davis can bounce back from this injury that has sidelined him for about 1.5 years now. Incoming freshman Micah Thomas's tape looked pretty good, similar player to Harrell.

Shooting guard is a bit scary with Nottingham graduating. Not sure who to expect to start there, but your boy Shelby Adams would be my guess. He's mostly been backing up Pearson at the 3, but with literally no experience returning at shooting guard he may get the nod there. Will be a bevy of newcomers vying for playing time too with Caleb Asberry, DeShawn Davidson, and maybe Drew Tennial.

Pearson has the 3 on lockdown. We know Adams knows the position but he may slide to SG. Drew Tennial may be Pearson's heir at the position and my guess is he's the primary backup and is groomed to take over once Pearson graduates. Newcomer Isiah Small could prob play here but numbers dictate he probably plays the 4 this year looking at the roster.

Scariest position on the court is the 4 for me with Peacock graduating. Who starts this year? Quentin Scott? Like I just said I think newcomer Isiah Small is probably the other option here. Neither of those guys are 3-point threats so this team will look a lot different this year without a 3-point threat at the 4. Our 3 most recent 4s were all stretch 4s and big time 3-point threats (Peacock, Prijovic, KGT). Those days are gone for at least 1 season it looks like. Maybe Sule can play the 4 too? He has next to no offensive game outside of 4-5 feet from the basket though.

Center should be in decent shape as everyone returns so you'd think we'd only get better there. This wasn't a position of strength really this past year but still. Terry, Sule, Chandler Davis can hold it down for a year and we added a 6'9" walk-on last week for depth in Clayton Carpenter from Beaumont West Brook.

We only return two starters this year (Pearson and Terry). Anytime there's that much change to the starting 5 I'll have some concerns. I do have pretty lofty expectations after this past year though. Need to keep moving this program forward.

I've been advocating for that for three years. He's more natural at that position in college. He never had the size to be a true 3 behind Pearson, but his athletic talent and ability to create offense opens up the offense.

Fri May 31, 2019 9:08 am
True Bobcat Fan

Thanks, Taxman. That was my point.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:54 am
True Bobcat Fan

To yalls point on Pearson:
Every player in the world struggles when they don't have good complimentary players and have to do it all alone. How did Steph perform with KD and Klay out last week? How was Lebron's first season in LA (watch how much better it will be with AD next year). Pearson had a few tough games at inopportune times and a lot of that is attributed to our opponents making a concerted effort to shut him down. We need another offensive threat or two to take some pressure off. Kind of like how Pearson himself came in and took some pressure of Gilder-Tilbury his senior year to allow him to flourish. Hopefully Pearson gets the favor returned for his senior year.

On Adams:
My concern on Adams at the 2 is his 3-point shooting ability. He's a career 30% 3-point shooter at TXST, taking just 40 shots from deep in his career so far. He doesn't seem to have the perimeter shooting ability to be a real offensive threat at shooting guard. The rest of his game does fit the 2 better than the 3, but shooting is a pretty big part of that position as the name would imply.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
To yalls point on Pearson:
Every player in the world struggles when they don't have good complimentary players and have to do it all alone. How did Steph perform with KD and Klay out last week? How was Lebron's first season in LA (watch how much better it will be with AD next year). Pearson had a few tough games at inopportune times and a lot of that is attributed to our opponents making a concerted effort to shut him down. We need another offensive threat or two to take some pressure off. Kind of like how Pearson himself came in and took some pressure of Gilder-Tilbury his senior year to allow him to flourish. Hopefully Pearson gets the favor returned for his senior year.

On Adams:
My concern on Adams at the 2 is his 3-point shooting ability. He's a career 30% 3-point shooter at TXST, taking just 40 shots from deep in his career so far. He doesn't seem to have the perimeter shooting ability to be a real offensive threat at shooting guard. The rest of his game does fit the 2 better than the 3, but shooting is a pretty big part of that position as the name would imply.

Agree on all points, particularly the bolded part. :lol: :lol:

I think he is more valuable at the mid-range shots with the lane penetration threat to open up the floor for Pearson.

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:07 am