UTA thoughts and recap.... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post UTA thoughts and recap....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Despite a tough loss due, yet again, to 3 pt shooting and FT issues (four games this season and 7 of the last 10 last season)....the team is still not worried at all. The rest of the schedule is very friendly and there should be only one more loss from here on out (the proverbial "what on earth" game like UTA was). Despite what others keep saying in our own fanbase, at this point all roads to the NCAA Tourney lead through San Marcos.

The team is still not implementing "team wide" FTs because the breakdowns that cost us the game were more on the floor than anything. Many of the guys are starting to come in earlier or leave practice later on their own to work on FTs, but Kaspar still is using practice time strictly for in game situations and opponent game planning.

The only change that would be critical come tourney time would be to play Sule more than Terry in the post. Against UTA and GAST at home, we struggled to contain their more athletic players in the paint and in transition, which led to a lot of easy layups and rebounds.

Also, anyone thinking this game "killed out chances" for fans to show up, RELAX. The crowd was a school record on a day when the vast majority of the student population was out of town (going back to their hometowns for Super Bowl parties). The square itself was dead on Friday and Saturday, and 6,589 people still showed up to an afternoon game on a Saturday. I almost expect Thursday's crowd to break the new record again.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: UTA thoughts and recap....
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
The only change that would be critical come tourney time would be to play Sule more than Terry in the post. Against UTA and GAST at home, we struggled to contain their more athletic players in the paint and in transition, which led to a lot of easy layups and rebounds.

Both GSU and UTA have very undersized, but athletic guys in the post. Terry does seem to struggle defending them despite his size advantage.

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Also, anyone thinking this game "killed out chances" for fans to show up, RELAX. The crowd was a school record on a day when the vast majority of the student population was out of town (going back to their hometowns for Super Bowl parties). The square itself was dead on Friday and Saturday, and 6,589 people still showed up to an afternoon game on a Saturday. I almost expect Thursday's crowd to break the new record again.

I'm inclined to agree. I just hope we're right.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am
SuperCat

Ok, so maybe 1 or 2 more losses at most for the 'Cats. What seed does that get us in SB tourney? I'd like to be no lower than 4th, 2nd would be sweet!

Also, hope your right about crowd size not going down a bunch too, Taxi. If we can win next 2 at home; i think that would go along way with getting crowd back to level of UTA game. The APP game should be a win for sure, but the Coastal game will be tuff. Their on a 5 gm win streak.

Thanks for any feedback y'all.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:39 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

BobcatBuddy96 wrote:
Ok, so maybe 1 or 2 more losses at most for the 'Cats. What seed does that get us in SB tourney? I'd like to be no lower than 4th, 2nd would be sweet!

Also, hope your right about crowd size not going down a bunch too, Taxi. If we can win next 2 at home; i think that would go along way with getting crowd back to level of UTA game. The APP game should be a win for sure, but the Coastal game will be tuff. Their on a 5 gm win streak.

Thanks for any feedback y'all.

For the conference tourney, I think we will be the #2 ***if*** we don't lose more than two more games. That is going to be key to having a good chance of advancing to the Tourney. Playing only two games instead of having to play 3-4 gives less chance for unexpected upsets.

The attendance will be solid this Thursday, no major exams and the Greeks are really pumped about the team. Last game with the promotion, there were two large contingents that showed up from Fraternities who filled the entire lower corners, and that was without the Alpha Xi Deltas, who have been traditionally strong supporters of the basketball team. Most of them were out of town.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:34 am
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatBuddy96 wrote:
The APP game should be a win for sure, but the Coastal game will be tuff. Their on a 5 gm win streak.

Both are on impressive win streaks. App has won 3 straight.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:37 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
BobcatBuddy96 wrote:
The APP game should be a win for sure, but the Coastal game will be tuff. Their on a 5 gm win streak.

Coastal with five too. Good thing we get them on Saturday afternoon instead of an evening game. That would have been tougher.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:10 pm
SuperCat

x wrote:
BobcatBuddy96 wrote:

oh yeah. Maybe not a sure win, and i hope we aren't looking past them to sat. game. We can't afford many more losses. Could Thur. be a trap game??

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatBuddy96 wrote:
Could Thur. be a trap game??

Doesn't really fit the definition coming off of two losses. You'd think we'd be ready to go.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:10 pm
SuperCat

Ok, so not a trap game, but I hope we are not taking App. too lightly because of their record.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:52 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

BobcatBuddy96 wrote:
Ok, so not a trap game, but I hope we are not taking App. too lightly because of their record.

Most of the game it was looking like a trap game. :shock: :shock:

Did not realize that App St had their entire two deep on the front court coming in at 6'8" and 6'9". All our bigs with the exception of Sule were in foul trouble early in the second half. I liked the fact that Sule was able to play significant minutes in the first half because of that and was a solid 5 of 6 from the field. Kid's gonna be a superstar for this team in two years.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:12 am