bobcat hoops love 
True Bobcat Fan

Post bobcat hoops love
figured since we're looking at some national recognition, we might as well have a thread for that so those posts don't get lost in the game threads.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: bobcat hoops love
currently #28 in the collegeinsider.com midmajor poll: http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

gast and gaso both ahead of us, and we open conf play w/ them 1st weekend in jan

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

@collegeinsider

Texas State is off to its' best start in nearly 70 years. @SunBelt @TXStateMBB

[video emoji] Entire Feature: http://collegeinsider.com/my-5-video.php?id=426

"Off the Bounce" is available all season long via CBS Sports Digital and @SportsLive http://www.watchcit.com/?media=576602

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

"What may be the best mid-major league in America"

I loved hearing that.

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:27 am
True Bobcat Fan

i did too, even though it's not close to true. west coast conf has 5 in the mid-major poll and a 6th at #26. still, nice to be in the conversation.

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:52 am
True Bobcat Fan

Texas State hoops off to best start in 68 years

Sizing up Texas State’s first 10 games before the season, coach Danny Kaspar said he would have predicted “at least three losses.”

The Bobcats went 15-18 last year, dropping their final nine regular-season games. Still, Kaspar was optimistic a more experienced team would show improvement this season. He set his sights on a top-four finish in the Sun Belt.

Even he wasn’t prepared for Texas State’s 9-1 start — the school’s best since 1950-51. Behind an improved Nijal Pearson, a more experienced roster and two valuable newcomers, Texas State has raised the bar for the rest of the year.

“Now we want to contend for the title,” Kaspar said. “We’re a lot more confident about contending for the title than we were six weeks ago.”

Pearson, a 6-foot-5 junior guard, leads Texas State in scoring at 20.3 points per game — twice the total of the Bobcats’ next-leading scorer.

He was Texas State’s primary scorer last season at 14.6 points per game but has been more efficient in 2018-19. He’s shooting 50 percent from the field and 49.3 percent from 3-point range compared with 38.8 percent overall and 32.5 percent beyond the arc last season.

“Some people may say they think I’m a better shooter, but I feel like I’ve been able to shoot the ball this well,” Pearson said. “I’ve been working on it, but I pick my spots better. I’m learning the game more. I’m just a mature player.”

Kaspar said no one on the roster has put more time into his shot than Pearson, and Pearson said he’s benefited from increased film study and the experience of being a go-to scorer last season.

Kaspar said this year’s group is his best offensive team in six seasons at the helm, and Pearson said that success is based on trust. For the year, Texas State ranks in the top 10 nationally in the percentage of made shots that come off assists, per KenPom.com.

Senior Alex Peacock said the Bobcats have faith in Pearson.

“He doesn’t have to think about, ‘Should I shoot this? What would my teammates think?’” Peacock said. “We don’t care. If he shoots it, we think it’s going in, just like he thinks it’s going in.”

Peacock and Pearson are both returning starters, as is senior guard Tre’Larenz Nottingham. Forward Eric Terry appeared in all 30 games off the bench last year before moving into a starting role this season.

That experience is a stark contrast to a year ago, Kaspar said. He recalled last season’s road trip to Arkansas State and his efforts to warn the players about the challenging environment they were set to enter.

“I went to Nijal and said, ‘Remember when we were here two years ago?’” Kaspar said. “And Nijal said to me, ‘Coach, none of us were here two years ago.’”

Kaspar said the 2017-18 team also lacked leadership, something Peacock, Pearson and Cal Poly transfer Jaylen Shead have provided this season.

Shead has started every game at point guard in his first year of eligibility with the Bobcats, averaging 6.6 points, 5.0 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game with a 2.9-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

@TxStateBobcats
For the first time in program history, @TXStateMBB is ranked in the Mid-Major Top 25! The Bobcats went from receiving votes last week to #20 this week!

Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

It'd be nice to become a mainstay in that poll.

Sad that poll has been around 20 years and this is the first time we've been ranked in it. Hopefully we find ourselves in it more often than not going forward.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

@Nick_Castillo74

For those into the super early bracketology: @TXStateMBB is projected as a No. 14 seed and would face No. 3 North Carolina in this week's @CBSSports bracketology.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

@Nick_Castillo74

For those into the super early bracketology: @TXStateMBB is projected as a No. 14 seed and would face No. 3 North Carolina in this week's @CBSSports bracketology.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:08 pm