Game Thread - @ UTSA 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - @ UTSA
What an exciting game. Agree on Pearson, he is playing great. Peacock (at least the 2nd half)and Shead both had solid games. Nottingham was awful today. Hopefully someone will light a fire under his ass. I believe our shooting guards are our weakest link right now. Hopefully that will change. Our 3 headed monster in the middle is doing well enough right now. They are not great but are serviceable. Overall a really nice road win. Hopefully their confidence will continue to grow. :eatemup:

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:23 am
True Bobcat Fan

cgd469 wrote:
Agree on Pearson, he is playing great.

@TXStateMBB

On our 5-game winning streak, @NijalUno has been on [fire emojis] #AllForTXST #RiseAbove #SunBeltMBB

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:07 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

We beat UTSA on what I consider an off-night for us, so I'll view that positively. I'm with you x... I'm ready to see Kaspar curb stomp the roadrunners.

I would be nice to get more consistency in our guard play.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
We beat UTSA on what I consider an off-night for us, so I'll view that positively.

Agree completely. We didn't play well and still won that game. That's a good sign.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:00 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
We ALMOST let Jhivvan Jackson beat us. I guess given how the game was going UTSA said to hell with the minutes restriction as he played 26 minutes. He had 22 points and hit 5 of 11 threes.

Pearson had yet another huge game. 26 points and 7 rebounds. Guy is playing lights out so far this year.

Kaspar needs to find a way to start throttling UTSA. I'm tired of these close nail-biting games with them.

As any good coach should, if you have a chance to win a game you don't let minutes restrictions become a handicap.

One thing I like about this team is that this is precisely the type of game we would have dropped in years past. This year they hunker down and stay in the game.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

cgd469 wrote:
What an exciting game. Agree on Pearson, he is playing great. Peacock (at least the 2nd half)and Shead both had solid games. Nottingham was awful today. Hopefully someone will light a fire under his ass. I believe our shooting guards are our weakest link right now. Hopefully that will change. Our 3 headed monster in the middle is doing well enough right now. They are not great but are serviceable. Overall a really nice road win. Hopefully their confidence will continue to grow. :eatemup:

We need to plug in Adams and bench Nottingham, he's struggling mightily with his shooting and if he doesn't fix that, we will lose key games because of him come conference time.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Adams and Nottingham have played different positions all season. Gurley is the backup to Nottingham at SG.

Adams is Pearson's backup at the 3 and doesn't play very often at all at the 2.

While I'm all for finding a way to get Adams more minutes as he's looked pretty decent in limited time this year, you can't really move him to the 2 and just not have someone able to backup Pearson. Daschner hasn't played much at all so far so I'm not sure how much we can rely on him.

Nottingham is still this team's 2nd leading scorer through 8 games. His shooting #s will hopefully come around, especially from 3. He had an awful game at UTSA, but I don't think it's time to start talking about benching him yet.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
As any good coach should, if you have a chance to win a game you don't let minutes restrictions become a handicap.

Unless you end up putting your guy back on the bench by re-aggravating the injury.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

@collegeinsider

BOSTON (MA) -- Texas State's Nijal Pearson earns the Lou Henson award National Player of the Week honors.

http://www.louhensonaward.com/weekly.html

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Tried that website from both my phone and PC and it won't load.

Good accolade for Pearson though.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

can't get that link to load either - took the /weekly.html off and it worked for me. doesn't help in knowing what other players have won this season though...

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:48 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Wiki says it is given out by CollegeInsiders to the best Mid-Major player of the week.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Adams and Nottingham have played different positions all season. Gurley is the backup to Nottingham at SG.

Adams is Pearson's backup at the 3 and doesn't play very often at all at the 2.

While I'm all for finding a way to get Adams more minutes as he's looked pretty decent in limited time this year, you can't really move him to the 2 and just not have someone able to backup Pearson. Daschner hasn't played much at all so far so I'm not sure how much we can rely on him.

Nottingham is still this team's 2nd leading scorer through 8 games. His shooting #s will hopefully come around, especially from 3. He had an awful game at UTSA, but I don't think it's time to start talking about benching him yet.

Adams would be more natural at the 2 than the 3 and Nottingham could be a scoring threat off the bench, but it absolutely is time to start discussing his place as a starter. When he's below 38% in 7 of 8 games from three point land and taking 5+ shots from beyond the arc, you are giving opponents a ton of opportunities to build leads or make comebacks. He's at 27% from three point land on the season. That's going to kill us come conference time.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... nottingham

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:48 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:

Unless you end up putting your guy back on the bench by re-aggravating the injury.

A good coach would know the extent of the injury and the chances of reinjury.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:03 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Nottingham is a quantity shooter--he takes a ton of shots. He just isn't efficient. By the same token, he hasn't become a turnover machine either. Our past "quantity shooters" have often had a lot of turnovers as well. I'm fine leaving him in for now, as I think his shot will recover and he isn't a tremendous liability... yet. I'd like to see stronger defensive presence from him as well, and a few more assists given that his shooting isn't where it needs to be. It might calm him down. At this point, Adams is too critical as a backup to Pearson to actually move him into a starting role at the 2 and move Nottingham to bench. Plus, I don't think Nottingham has underperformed to the point of benching, and I say that as someone that isn't a huge fan of his or anything. Adams also hasn't taken many shots when he has been in, given the amount of minutes played. Next year, I would like to see Adams shift over to the 2; I agree with taxman that the 2 seems like a more natural fit.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:54 pm