Game Thread - @ UTSA 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - @ UTSA
I must admit I would like to see Shelby play some 2 this year. Leave Nottingham in the starting rotation. Gurley could back up Pearson some if need be. Shelby would get more minutes at the expense og Gurley which I think would be a good thing. It's not going to happen though. Would love to see it though.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
Nottingham is a quantity shooter--he takes a ton of shots. He just isn't efficient. By the same token, he hasn't become a turnover machine either. Our past "quantity shooters" have often had a lot of turnovers as well. I'm fine leaving him in for now, as I think his shot will recover and he isn't a tremendous liability... yet. I'd like to see stronger defensive presence from him as well, and a few more assists given that his shooting isn't where it needs to be. It might calm him down. At this point, Adams is too critical as a backup to Pearson to actually move him into a starting role at the 2 and move Nottingham to bench. Plus, I don't think Nottingham has underperformed to the point of benching, and I say that as someone that isn't a huge fan of his or anything. Adams also hasn't taken many shots when he has been in, given the amount of minutes played. Next year, I would like to see Adams shift over to the 2; I agree with taxman that the 2 seems like a more natural fit.

Only thing I'd disagree with is that he isn't a tremendous liability. I went back over his game log last season, and after we had the six game win streak and then lost 10 of the last 11 to finish the season.....the main difference was that Nottingham started shooting 8+ times per game and hovered in the 0%-30% range in made FGs in NINE of those games. Completely killed us down the stretch and that has translated to this year too. What's worse is that this year it has been against sub-par competition. At this point, it is not a slump he is in.....that's who he is as a shooter. When you have a quantity shooter that can't make more than 20% of his shots and you don't have much of an inside rebounding presence to make up for it, that spells disaster come conference. He'd better be served coming off the bench and limiting his shooting to mostly second teamers on the opponent's side.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... nottingham

To be completely honest, I think teams started game-planning towards shutting down Pearson down the stretch and just gambling on Nottingham taking a ton of shots, and it worked. This year, if he stays in the starting rotation, he needs to be the 4th scoring option (Pearson, Shead, Terry/Peacock), not the second.

For my money though, I'd give the last five non-conference games to Adams at the 2 to gel with the starting rotation and go from there. Bringing in Harrell and Nottingham off the bench makes more sense (one in development, one with experience) to provide a one-two punch in scoring while the starters rest. Popovich has done similar things in the past in incorporating Ginobili toward the end of his career.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Like I said, I'm not a big Nottingham fan. He has great energy, but the problem is he has great energy.

I would like to see what he does over the next five games. It is unfortunate that the next four aren't exactly strong competition. Although HBU managed to shock Wake Forest and beat Fordham. I'm still trying to figure out how the hell that happened. Then they lose to UTSA? I haven't studied HBU, WF or Fordham in-depth, so I'm not sure what to make of HBU. x has made me lazy since his pre-game write-ups are so good that I just don't bother researching. That might be a more interesting game than I'm giving it credit for. I do know the WF coach is an early hot seat contender this season after failing to meet expectations for that program over the last few seasons.

If things don't start to improve during these games, then I'd like to see some in-game testing of a new lineup with Adams getting more minutes with the starting group. I'm not saying to actually start him, but insert him as an early sub with the remaining starters. I don't think you can swap Nottingham out of his starting role yet for the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread, but I think you can plug Adams in at the 2 for perhaps an extra 5+ minutes without jeopardizing depth backing Pearson. At the same time, that means the expectations for Adams need to increase... Nottingham perhaps shoots too much, but Adams shoots hardly at all.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:22 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
If things don't start to improve during these games, then I'd like to see some in-game testing of a new lineup with Adams getting more minutes with the starting group. I'm not saying to actually start him, but insert him as an early sub with the remaining starters. I don't think you can swap Nottingham out of his starting role yet for the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread, but I think you can plug Adams in at the 2 for perhaps an extra 5+ minutes without jeopardizing depth backing Pearson. At the same time, that means the expectations for Adams need to increase... Nottingham perhaps shoots too much, but Adams shoots hardly at all.

That would be a very sensible game plan going forward.

With Adams hardly shooting, Pearson would still be the focal point and Adams could be more judicious in picking his shots knowing Shead and Terry/Peacock fill in with more offense.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:34 am