Game Thread - Vs. Rice 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Game Thread - Vs. Rice
After claiming the Portland Classic Championship, the Bobcats return home to face Rice in a non-conference mid-week matchup in Strahan Arena on Wednesday night. Texas State is off to its first 5-1 start since 2014 and looking for its first 6-1 start since I think 2007? We started the year off in 2007 with Concordia and Huston-Tillotson. If those were both considered regular season games and not exhibitions we started 6-1 that year. Tip-off is set for 7pm.

Inaugural NET Rankings
As you may know, the NCAA is replacing RPI as its primary tool in college basketball with a new metric called the NET (NCAA Evaluation Tool).

The first release was yesterday through the first 20 days of the season. And while the inaugural release is creating more questions than anything (Ohio State #1?), I figured it'd be a good tool to look at to get a feel of where our opponents sit compared to us.

Here's a link to the rankings:
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

The Bobcats check in at #106 in the first rankings, good for 3rd in the Sun Belt (Georgia Southern 26th, Georgia State 91st).

Rice is currently sitting at 256th with a 3-4 record. They are 0-4 on the road so far this season.

Scouting Rice
This is the 2nd leg of a home and home with the Owls, as TXST beat Rice in Houston last year 74-66. Rice is 3-4 on the year with home wins vs. non-D1 Saint Leo, Alabama A&M, and Northwestern State. Their 4 losses are on the road vs. Penn, Houston, BYU, and Wichita State.

Rice struggled last year to a 7-24 overall record and a 4-14 CUSA record. They didn't qualify for the CUSA tournament and ended their season with a home loss to UTSA in the regular season finale. After finishing 13th in the 14 team CUSA, they were picked to finish 14th this year.

After starting all 31 games and finishing 2nd in scoring last year, junior 6-2 PG Ako Adams returns and is leading the team this year at 14 PPG. Adams is a dangerous player as he's the primary scorer, is a huge 3-point threat, and is top 25 all-time at Rice in assists so can create shots for his teammates. Shead and Harrell will have their hands full with Adams. Adams is averaging 3.6 APG and is shooting 43.9% from three. Grad Transfer 6-8 F Jack Williams comes to Rice after playing last year at Pacific and is averaging 11 PPG so far on the young season. Williams started all 32 games last year at Pacific, scoring 8.5 PPG and finishing 2nd on the team with 5.9 RPG. Williams is also a 3-point threat despite being a 6-8 F as he made 40 3s for Pacific last year and shot 33.9% beyond the arc. He's leading the Owls in rebounding this year at 7.1 per game. TXST and Pacific played last year in the Men Against Breast Cancer Showcase so this won't be Williams's first game vs. the Bobcats. TXST shut down Williams last year as he had 5 points and just 1 rebound in 19 minutes in a 85-78 Bobcat win. Third player to watch is 6-6 junior F Robert Martin. Martin isn't a starter but is 2nd on the team in scoring with 12.1 PPG off the bench. He's also 2nd on the team in rebounding with 5.4 a game and has hit 12 of 22 3s on the season.

Again, tip-off is at 7pm from Strahan. Hopefully a nice crowd coming off the 3-game win streak out in Portland.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. Rice
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

On paper it should be an easy game, but this has all the markings off a trap game. Having said that, we probably will struggle early and then pull away midway through the second half. Rice's depth is more of an issue than ours right now.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:06 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm hoping I get away from work early enough to catch this game.

I'm about to change employers, and one of the things I'm particularly excited about is that I think I'll be able to make more of the midweek basketball and baseball/softball games.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

This is the type of game that you have to win. I am looking forward to seeing if they carry the momentum out of Portland into this game or if there is a hangover. The halftime adjustments have been excellent. I would like to see them start better but as long as they are grinding out results I am happy. Int he past they were in it at the half and then got blown out or blew big leads in the second half. Glad to see that is changing and hope that trend continues as they play better teams.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcats are 11 point favorites at home.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

hoops doing work tonight. been in control the whole way and up 14 w/ under 3m to play. not bad.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Sloppy few minutes there at the end. A win is a win though

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

quick heat check on our 6-1 record to date:

our 1 loss:
drake is 4-1, and we played them to the final seconds, so that's not looking like a bad loss at all

our 6 wins:
1 winning record: portland is 5-4
the other 5: 14-23
not exactly slaying giants, but we're winning and convincingly: every win by 8 or more pts

looking ahead:
next 4 opponents: 13-15 (tamucc and utrgv are both 1 over .500)
not going to lie, at this point, i would actually be disappointed if we didn't win all 4 of those games.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:30 am
True Bobcat Fan

I am excited to play Arkansas. In the past all those games I expected to never have a shot and maybe we have one this year.

Must beat a bad UTSA team this week. We have seemed to struggle with A&M-CC in the past.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:33 am
True Bobcat Fan

well, there's a reason i stopped at arky.... :lol:

but in all seriousness, they have 1 good win over 5-2 indiana, and the rest is nothing special.
1-6 uc davis, 2-6 montana state, 3-4 uta

they have 5 games before us, and only 1 against a p5 - gatech, currently at 4-2
the other 4: 7-1 fiu, 4-3 csu, 3-3 wku, 2-5 utsa

i would think they go at least 3-2 against that slate. by the way - some SERIOUS home cooking for arky to start the season:
neutral site for texas - ft. bliss
technically neutral for utsa - little rock
@ colorado state
the other 9 ooc games: bud walton arena

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am
True Bobcat Fan

They also took something like 40 free throw attempts against UTA. Home cooking for sure.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:13 am
True Bobcat Fan

slycat wrote:

Must beat a bad UTSA team this week.

UTSA isn't near as bad as they look. They were without their star player Jhivan Jackson for their first few games due to injury. He's back though and they're starting to win finally. Started season 0-5 but have won their last two now. They were expected to be pretty good this year (every pre-season publication I read had them ranked higher than TXST).

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:45 am
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
slycat wrote:

Must beat a bad UTSA team this week.

UTSA isn't near as bad as they look. They were without their star player Jhivan Jackson for their first few games due to injury. He's back though and they're starting to win finally. Started season 0-5 but have won their last two now. They were expected to be pretty good this year (every pre-season publication I read had them ranked higher than TXST).

Thanks for the insight. I had seen the 0-5 start and made an assumption. I didn't realize their star was out.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:08 pm