Game Thread - Vs. Hardin-Simmons 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Game Thread - Vs. Hardin-Simmons
After an encouraging start to the season with a win over Air Force, the Bobcats take on DIII Hardin-Simmons in the 2nd game of the season Tuesday night from Strahan Arena.

Without researching to see how or why, somehow this game is game one of the Portland Classic. TXST travels to Portland next week to play 3 games there for the rest of the tournament.

The Cowboys are 0-1 on the season after dropping their first game on the road to Centenary College 84-79.

Hardin-Simmons was picked 4th in the 6-team American Southwest Conference West Division after finishing 5th last year at 9-16 overall and 7-10 in ASC play.

3 players were named to the ASC Preseason Watch List for the Cowboys:
Senior G Joe Hoeup, Junior PG Keenan Holdman, and Junior G Chris Barrett. Barrett was named All-ASC honorable mention at the end of the season last year.
Hoeup led the Cowboys in their first game in scoring, rebounding, and assists with 13 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists. He played 33 minutes to lead the team.
Senior 6-7 F Jalen Terry had 12 points and 4 rebounds.
Barrett and Holdman added 11 and 10, respectively.

Game tips off at 6pm and should be available on ESPN+.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. Hardin-Simmons
I dont want to be a debbie downer but Airforce isnt very good. Outside of Arkansas our ooc schedule is incredibly weak (which im fine with until we are consistently winning conference games.) If we lose more than 2-3 games before belt play i'll be concerned as there are a few sun belt teams that could go 12-1 with our non conference schedule

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Same starting 5 for the Bobcats.

1 - Shead
2 - Nottingham
3 - Pearson
4 - Peacock
5 - Terry

Sounds like Marlin Davis may miss an extended period, possibly to the point of redshirting. Meaning Shead and Harrell will run the point all year.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

10-1 TXST at the first media timeout.

Terry has 6 points early. He should be a mismatch all night and should be able to score at will inside. Should be a good game to see what Chandler Davis has as the reserves should get plenty of minutes tonight.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

21-5 at the U12 media timeout. Terry has 9.

Harrell isn't active tonight. Don't know why. Nottingham backing up Shead at the point. That poor guy can't get away from having to play PG.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

josh_ooh_ahh wrote:
I dont want to be a debbie downer but Airforce isnt very good. Outside of Arkansas our ooc schedule is incredibly weak (which im fine with until we are consistently winning conference games.) If we lose more than 2-3 games before belt play i'll be concerned as there are a few sun belt teams that could go 12-1 with our non conference schedule

A handful of us on the board know this about Air Force, but in terms of execution this Bobcat team did look a lot different from prior years. It actually looked like we had a legit offensive game plan and that everyone's brains were fully-engaged. That has not been the case during most of Kaspar's tenure when it comes to the offense. I've seen us struggle to get penetration against DII and NAIA teams before. I agree that if we lose 2 games (or less) before conference, then we'll have some real reason to get optimistic. I do think that Air Force is an ideal first game opponent for us. I'm ready to see upgrades to the OOC schedule though.

I'm just glad our offense didn't make me want to throw things last Friday. I went home in a good mood. :sombrero:

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

30-12 TXST at the U8 media timeout. Terry still leading the way with 11.

Alonzo Sule getting some minutes at the 5 now. Didn't play vs. Air Force with a hip injury.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:35 pm
True Bobcat Fan

last year we lost to af by 8, this year we won by 10. af was shitty last year too.

last year, we didn't beat a shitty, legit midmajor until rice on dec 22, this year we beat a shitty, legit midmajor in the very first game.

if we beat a shitty nottamajor tonight, you won't be able to convince me we're not going to the dance come march.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

46-19 Bobcats at halftime.

Bobcats shooting 44% from the field, 38% from 3, and 93% from the FT line.
HSU shooting 19% from the field, 9% from 3, and 57% from the FT line.

Terry leading with 15 points. Pearson has 7.
Quentin Scott the leading rebounder with 6. He's hit 3 mid-range jumpers too for 6 points which is a career high for him. Terry, Peacock, and Gurley all have 5 rebounds.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXST wins 97-52 to go to 2-0 on the season.

Bobcats shot the ball well. 48% from the field, 33% from three, and 88% from the FT line. HSU, on the other hand, did not. Just 26% from the field and 20% from three.

TXST had 6 guys reach double figures in scoring. Eric Terry led the team with 17, Nottingham had 13, Adams had 12, Shead and Scott had 11, and Alonzo Sule had 10. Peacock only scored 6 but led the team with 12 rebounds.

I'd say through 2 games this team looks better offensively than last year's team.
We're stronger across the board at guard and that is really encouraging.
Shead is an upgrade at PG over Nottingham, but it's concerning Marlin Davis hasn't played yet and Harrell wasn't available tonight. Not sure if that's an injury or something else with Harrell. Either way, I was disappointed to see Nottingham have to play PG again tonight like he was forced to last year. Apparently there's a chance Davis never makes it back this season and redshirts.

Nottingham is clearly a more offensively gifted player than Tyler Blount was at SG last year and Isaiah Gurley should have a much better year this year. Both play better D than Blount as well.

Adams can likely provide better depth at the 3 than Deris Duncan did last year. Akiem Daschner has been a slight disappointment so far, but I think he may battling a minor injury too. Daschner played a bit at the 3 in the first half then some at the 4 late in the 2nd half when the game was well out of reach.

Forward gets a little scarier.
Peacock is fine at the four and Scott looks to have gotten a lot better in the off-season and Daschner can play there so we should be ok. Center is as scary as I thought going in though. We had a pretty noticeable size difference over HSU tonight but neither Chandler Davis or Sule could really take advantage. Davis does seem like a good interior passer and Sule was able to get to the foul line and looks like a pretty good FT shooter for a big so that's good news. But I worry how those guys can fare against D1 competition.

Big game at Drake on Saturday. They have some serious history at Drake and play in a tough basketball league. Win that one and I may start to get pretty excited. Till then I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:55 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Scott provides a much needed scoring option off the bench that Nedja was supposed to be last year. But the fact that Sule, Scott and Davis were in foul trouble against a lower division opponent in limited minutes is concerning for down the road.

Adams is developing well and one of his best attributes is that he is very smart with the ball and has a pass-first mentality at this point in his career. He and Gurley provide good offensive continuity off the bench.

The more pressing issue: Pearson still has games where he disappears offensively. A 3 for 12 FG and 1 for 6 3-Pt shooting night against a better opponent sinks us come conference time.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:15 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
The more pressing issue: Pearson still has games where he disappears offensively. A 3 for 12 FG and 1 for 6 3-Pt shooting night against a better opponent sinks us come conference time.

This is only true if he is the lone scoring threat at times like he was last year. Everyone hits a cold spell from time to time. But if Shead, Nottingham, Peacock, Terry, etc. can take some pressure off him from having to do all the scoring he can afford to have off stretches unlike last year.

x wrote:
Harrell wasn't available tonight. Not sure if that's an injury or something else with Harrell.

Harrell had a tooth pulled and that's why he missed the game. Should be good to go Saturday at Drake.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:53 am
True Bobcat Fan

just want to make my annual(ish) post re: appreciation for the job x does on hoops coverage. great write ups, as always.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:56 am
SuperCat

Yup. X is awesome

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:11 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It's better than what the AD puts out.

They should throw him on payroll. Bet he'd work for as cheap as like... Season tickets!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:25 pm