Game Thread - Vs. Air Force 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. Air Force
This should have been 15 point win I believe. They got sloppy at the end offensively and AF went on a mini run.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:09 pm
SuperCat

Glad they are off to a good start. Missed the game on plus but a game ahead of last year already.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

not often i get bragging rights over a hs friend's alma mater, so that was pretty cool. as is beating a legit midmajor. not going to lie...did not expect that.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:25 pm
Site Admin

Very nice win over the place of my birth

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I really liked the atmosphere tonight. Hope it will continue. Mason Harrell is going to be a really good by the end of this season. He has a great attitude and is not intimidated at all. That dunk was awesome by Scott. Just really glad to get the win.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:39 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Shead is one of the better PGs we've had during Kaspar's tenure. Only a couple things that need to be cleaned up:

1.) Harrell needs to learn that he is NOT the focal point of this team and needs to facilitate the offense more. He played quite a bit of ball hog while he was in there. Same goes with Nottingham. Both were trying too hard and missing shots when people were wide open in the wing as they tried to drive the lane.

2.) Our big guys need to be more aware, several times they weren't even expecting the pass and caused turnovers.

3.) The dunk was awesome and got the crowd going, but there's a reason why Kaspar pulled Scott off the court right after and coached him on the sidelines. Against Air Force that was a good play, but he had two other people who had easier shots. Against a more physical team, that ends up being a charge.

Overall great win though, this looks like the best team Kaspar has fielded. Wouldn't be surprised to see us start 7-0 through November.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:33 pm
Junior Bobcat

The crowd was a pleasant surprise and the arena and atmosphere looked good on camera. I would love to see this become the norm. Its clear football isnt going to be good any time soon, we might as well as try and become a basketball school.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:24 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ATX Bobcat wrote:
The crowd was a pleasant surprise and the arena and atmosphere looked good on camera. I would love to see this become the norm. Its clear football isnt going to be good any time soon, we might as well as try and become a basketball school.

Not certain how the attendance compares to years past, but 4,058 at the game sounds like a decent atmosphere. Crowd looked good on ESPN+.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

we averaged almost exactly half that last year - 2,037
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketb ... ndance.pdf

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

It is good for top 10 attendance all time.

1. Jan. 29, 1998 Men's Basketball vs. UTSA 5,591
2. Dec. 2, 1988 Men's Basketball vs. Mississippi Valley State 4,843
3. Feb. 21, 1987 Men's Basketball vs. Stephen F. Austin State 4,759
4. Jan. 21, 2012 Men's Basketball vs. UTSA 4,458
5. Jan. 28, 1999 Men's Basketball vs. Northwestern State 4,341
6. Feb. 28, 1994 Men's Basketball vs. Northeast Louisiana (aka UL Monroe) 4,319
7. Feb. 22, 2018 Women's Basketball vs. Georgia State (Women's School Record) 4,225
7. Dec. 3, 1988 Men's Basketball vs. New Orleans 4,187
8. Feb. 25, 2004 Men's Basketball vs. UTSA 4,114
9. Mar. 4, 2005 Men's Basketball vs. UTSA 3,952
10. Dec. 4, 1987 Men's Basketball vs. Texas Southern 3,867

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:46 am
True Bobcat Fan

slycat wrote:
It is good for top 10 attendance all time.

6. Feb. 28, 1994 Men's Basketball vs. Northeast Louisiana (aka UL Monroe) 4,319

I remember this game. It was loud!

That was the most fun Bobcat team I ever watched. I enjoyed that entire season and made it to almost every game. Wade, Ross, Ponds, & Hutchinson were all great players. I played a few pickup games that year with a few of the players, but Lynwood Wade was absolutely incredible.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

fun dude - lived on my floor in blanco. smile on his face 100% of the time.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:

Shead is one of the better PGs we've had during Kaspar's tenure. Only a couple things that need to be cleaned up:

1.) Harrell needs to learn that he is NOT the focal point of this team and needs to facilitate the offense more. He played quite a bit of ball hog while he was in there. Same goes with Nottingham. Both were trying too hard and missing shots when people were wide open in the wing as they tried to drive the lane. I honestly would have liked to have seen Harrell be more aggressive. I thought he was very hesitant and looked like he was a bit over-whelmed. There are two 3 pt shots I remember him passing on that I thought he should have hoisted. I can’t wait to see him as he calms down and can create some dribble penetration. Nottingham is a shoot first guard. I agree that I would like to see him pass out in some cases after he sucks the help defense in, but I think he’s pretty much is what he is at this point….which is good because we need his dribble drive penetration since we don’t have a lot of that.

2.) Our big guys need to be more aware, several times they weren't even expecting the pass and caused turnovers. You are right. Without Terry on the floor, things were a bit screwy at the center position. I am hopeful this will get better as the season progresses. They are still working through a lot.

3.) The dunk was awesome and got the crowd going, but there's a reason why Kaspar pulled Scott off the court right after and coached him on the sidelines. Against Air Force that was a good play, but he had two other people who had easier shots. Against a more physical team, that ends up being a charge. WTF are you talking about? There is no higher percentage shot in basketball than a dunk. We need aggressive play like that. We have been sorely missing it. Did I miss something in Kaspar's post game comments about him talking to Scott about that play right after it happened?

Overall great win though, this looks like the best team Kaspar has fielded. Wouldn't be surprised to see us start 7-0 through November. Hold your horses...it's one game. I am optimistic but I want to see some consistency. We have laid some eggs before even against powder-puffs. But I am very encouraged after that 1st game.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
fun dude - lived on my floor in blanco. smile on his face 100% of the time.

I bet you were there when the bat got trapped inside the hall.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i would imagine that happens there with a fair amount of regularity, but don't recall any specific bat trapping escapades.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:20 pm