Game Thread - Vs. Air Force 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. Air Force
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Shead is one of the better PGs we've had during Kaspar's tenure.

Potentially yes. For first game of the season, he showed a ton of potential.

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
1.) Harrell needs to learn that he is NOT the focal point of this team and needs to facilitate the offense more. He played quite a bit of ball hog while he was in there. Same goes with Nottingham. Both were trying too hard and missing shots when people were wide open in the wing as they tried to drive the lane.

Harrell is a freshman, so he is still adapting to not being "THE" guy on a team. He wasn't really a hog either... he only shot twice (missing both) and he got four assists in only ten minutes. He doesn't have shooting confidence yet. I would've actually liked to see him get a bit more aggressive, especially on defense. Nottingham was a disappointment against Air Force--very little impact for 20 minutes of play. I didn't even notice he was out there that much.

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
2.) Our big guys need to be more aware, several times they weren't even expecting the pass and caused turnovers.

First game of the season--I'm not getting worked up about this... yet.

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
3.) The dunk was awesome and got the crowd going, but there's a reason why Kaspar pulled Scott off the court right after and coached him on the sidelines. Against Air Force that was a good play, but he had two other people who had easier shots. Against a more physical team, that ends up being a charge.

That's not what went down. I was three rows behind Kaspar and heard a chunk of the conversation. It was not harsh at all--Kaspar was calming him down because Scott did showboat that dunk to a point afterward that he was risking a technical foul. It also appeared a sub was preparing to go in for Scott before the dunk. The idea that Kaspar would be pissed about a dunk off of solid dribble penetration, the very penetration Kaspar has been trying to get on offense for his entire tenure here, is misplaced.

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Overall great win though, this looks like the best team Kaspar has fielded. Wouldn't be surprised to see us start 7-0 through November.

Slow your roll... :lol:

What we need to be talking about is the night Pearson and Peacock both had. They each shot confidently with better than 50%, got five & three assists respectively, and generally had a commanding presence. Shead is also a nice little revelation, though one game does not define a player. If he keeps this up along with the rest of our offense, we may be very, very dangerous. Our defense has always been good enough to win us games, provided our offense could just be average and get us a few more points per game. There's potential this year. To qualify this though, we don't know how good Air Force is this year. They are not a historically strong team.

Also, we had 28 points in the paint and had 25 points off 17 turnovers. That's pretty amazing for us. We also held Air Force to only 18 points in the paint, forcing them to lower percentage shots. We still got in a little bit of trouble though as AF got really hot from the 3-point line at the end. We also had 19 assists total as a team, which I think might be the highest I've seen from Kaspar here against Division 1 competition. Nine steals and four blocks was also positive for the night.

The only serious deficiencies I saw were our continued shitting of the bed at the free throw line, and I'm concerned that we got out-rebounded.

This was a really, really exciting game to watch if you're a fan of the game. Our defense was stingy, and we were actually clicking pretty well on offense. The offensive side was actually pretty exciting to watch--a good balance of ball movement and not as much hesitation compared to prior seasons. I haven't seen us play this confidently against Division 1 competition in a long time, especially this early in the season.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:11 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Other than Rice and Drake, not much standing in the way of a 7-0 mark. Haven't looked at the numbers yet, but neither of those teams have been anything to write home about in recent years.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Fran's Last Twinky wrote:
Hold your horses...it's one game. I am optimistic but I want to see some consistency. We have laid some eggs before even against powder-puffs. But I am very encouraged after that 1st game.

You have a point there, but our defense was very stingy and not allowing too many open looks. From years past, this is farther along than our defensive efforts have been this early in the season. Usually, we have a lot of missed assignments and out of position players still learning the system into late January. Air Force was a good effort out of the gate.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

We'll be underdogs at Drake on Saturday. 17-17 team out of the Missouri Valley who went 10-8 in league play last year that has a 7-footer starting at center. That game should be a really good test to see what we really have.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:46 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
We'll be underdogs at Drake on Saturday. 17-17 team out of the Missouri Valley who went 10-8 in league play last year that has a 7-footer starting at center. That game should be a really good test to see what we really have.

Agree, that's what I told the Army vet sitting next to me at the game. I could see Drake being our only loss with ***maybe*** Rice giving us fits. But I'll take a 5-2 going into UTSA if that were the case.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:

I think they have a new coach and have a young team. But with it being a road game, they should be favored.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:31 pm