Recruiting 2019: Commits/Decommits, Transfers 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Recruiting 2019: Commits/Decommits, Transfers
First 2019 commit is in for basketball.

6'5" SG/Wing Drew Tennial from Edmund Memorial in Edmund, OK. Thinking he plays a position similar to Nijal Pearson at TXST (6-5 Wing that can play the 2 or 3).

I think I notice current Bobcat true freshman Mason Harrell on some of the tape from his AAU team. May be a connection there between those two.

D1 offers from Texas State and Abilene Christian that I can see.

https://twitter.com/Tennial10/status/1051571705792143361

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq46fRtFxR0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD0s1ZfKTjw

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Recruiting 2019: Commits/Decommits, Transfers
Nice catch. No beat writers seemed to have caught on to his commitment. I forgot that we're only a few weeks from early signing day.

What do you think, X?

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

We sure seem to like recruiting Oklahoma

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Larry Teis wrote:
What do you think, X?

Not much tape to watch, but seems like a versatile player. Has played PG and SG in HS and I think he'll play on the wing at TXST. I think we'll be looking for him to play behind Nijal Pearson next year if we sign him. He can shoot from outside, has the ability to finish at the rim, and as a part-time PG has some handles and can pass. Didn't see much of a mid-range game on his tape though.

Here's a small Bio from gymtimehoops.com:
Tennial body looks like he should be at least a senior; his strong frame allows him to be physically at the PG position. Tennial has a nice handle on the ball with play making ability. Tennial can get to the basket and finish with contact. He also has a consistent shot from behind the arc. Tennial is transitioning from the shooting guard to the PG, but he has the ability to play both positions at a high level. Tennial is also a tough minded defender and will mix it up. He will have a chance to play at a high major, his transition as a PG and consistency shooting will be a big determining factor.

They have him ranked as the 7th best C/O 2019 player in Oklahoma.
Would sure like to see more than 2 D1 offers.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

slycat wrote:
We sure seem to like recruiting Oklahoma

You'd be amazed how big basketball is out in the rural areas out there. :-||

Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:52 pm
True Bobcat Fan

https://twitter.com/asberry_caleb/statu ... 45312?s=21

Commit #2 is in.

Caleb Asbery (6’2 guard) out of Ranger College. Previously played at Pfleugerville HS where he averaged almost 20 ppg.

One thing to note is that he graduated from PHS this year, so I don’t think he has stats yet at ranger... someone creect me on that. I can’t find too much on him online.

https://www.statesman.com/NEWS/20180406 ... tball-team

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:07 am
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah looks like he's playing this year at Ranger and if he signs with TXST he'll have 3 years to play here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGuMwBw59RM

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:50 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Pardon my ignorance on this, but how is recruiting coming along for big bodies in the paint? That has been the glaring area where we have struggled the entire tenure that Kaspar has been here. :| :|

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:

Pardon my ignorance on this, but how is recruiting coming along for big bodies in the paint? That has been the glaring area where we have struggled the entire tenure that Kaspar has been here. :| :|

He does seem to have an issue getting a deep rotation of big dudes. I do think we were better down low last season though.

We offered F Ed Oliver-Hampton (close but no cigar) sometime today it seems. Haven't seen his tape though, so I don't know how he in the paint. Could be a KGT type for all I know.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Losing Marlon Cunningham last minute stings at Center. He was going to be our first 3-star recruit in like a decade. It's definitely a position of concern and we desperately need to sign someone there in my opinion.

I like Eric Terry taking over there as a junior this year. If he stays healthy we should be in decent shape with Terry starting. Needs to work on his toughness/defense/rebounding, but I think he'll be a better scoring threat than Immanuel King ever was.

Alonzo Sule is likely to be the primary backup after redshirting last year. He's only 6-7 200, so undersized even by Sun Belt standards. Who knows what we'll get out of Sule, but I suppose we'll find out shortly.

Chandler Davis (6-8 235) was added last minute to mitigate the loss of Cunningham, but my guess is Davis is a walk-on and we were just looking for a warm body for some depth after signing day. I have no expectations for him, so any modicum of success would be a positive.

As far as offers out for big men that haven't committed elsewhere already:
2* JUCO PF Ed Oliver-Hampton (6-8) from Colby Community College. D1 offers from TXST, Bryant, and Morgan State.
2* 2019 PF Julius Marble (6-8 205) from Keller Jesuit. D1 offers from TXST, UTSA, La Tech, Lehigh, South Dakota, Murray State, Oral Roberts, Charleston, Saint Louis, and Pepperdine.
2* 2019 C Xavier Cork (6-9) from Sulphur Springs. Only D1 offer is TXST. UT-Tyler have offered as well.
2* 2020 PF Nate Martin (6-7) from Houston Cypress Creek. D1 offers from TXST and UH.

I left off some guys that I assume will play the 4 and not the 5. So we have a handful of offers out to some additional 6-6, 6-7 type players as well.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Thanks "X". Good run down. We need to somehow find a 6-9 or 6-11 kid somewhere that we can try and develop. I can't remember which game it was last year, but the opponent starting front court was 6'9", 6'9" and 6'10" at backup. Needless to say we had a rough go getting offensive rebounds.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:29 pm
SuperCat

I am still holding out hope on Chandler Davis. X is probably right though. Terry just needs to stay out of foul trouble. I'm excited about the season. Pretty confident we will see significant improvement in the win column. It's amazing how many close games we lost in a row last season. We truly were one player away from having a much better record. Who's going to the Air Force game? Hope we have a big crowd.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:45 pm
Junior Bobcat

x wrote:
Losing Marlon Cunningham last minute stings at Center. He was going to be our first 3-star recruit in like a decade. It's definitely a position of concern and we desperately need to sign someone there in my opinion.

I like Eric Terry taking over there as a junior this year. If he stays healthy we should be in decent shape with Terry starting. Needs to work on his toughness/defense/rebounding, but I think he'll be a better scoring threat than Immanuel King ever was.

Alonzo Sule is likely to be the primary backup after redshirting last year. He's only 6-7 200, so undersized even by Sun Belt standards. Who knows what we'll get out of Sule, but I suppose we'll find out shortly.

Chandler Davis (6-8 235) was added last minute to mitigate the loss of Cunningham, but my guess is Davis is a walk-on and we were just looking for a warm body for some depth after signing day. I have no expectations for him, so any modicum of success would be a positive.

As far as offers out for big men that haven't committed elsewhere already:
2* JUCO PF Ed Oliver-Hampton (6-8) from Colby Community College. D1 offers from TXST, Bryant, and Morgan State.
2* 2019 PF Julius Marble (6-8 205) from Keller Jesuit. D1 offers from TXST, UTSA, La Tech, Lehigh, South Dakota, Murray State, Oral Roberts, Charleston, Saint Louis, and Pepperdine.
2* 2019 C Xavier Cork (6-9) from Sulphur Springs. Only D1 offer is TXST. UT-Tyler have offered as well.
2* 2020 PF Nate Martin (6-7) from Houston Cypress Creek. D1 offers from TXST and UH.

I left off some guys that I assume will play the 4 and not the 5. So we have a handful of offers out to some additional 6-6, 6-7 type players as well.

Appreciate this post. I've fallen behind in following basketball recruiting, but Marble seems like he has a good list of offers. Would be nice. On his 24/7 they only list offers from UTSA, Pepperdine, and St. Louis.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:

not sure what that has to do w/ anything??? tennial and harrell and are not from anywhere close to resembling rural areas. the entirety of the state may be hick as all get out, but the okc metro area is just under 1.4million people.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:

not sure what that has to do w/ anything??? tennial and harrell and are not from anywhere close to resembling rural areas. the entirety of the state may be hick as all get out, but the okc metro area is just under 1.4million people.

I was talking in general statements. Anyone think "Oklahoma" and immediately thinks the state is devoid of talent. I was saying that even in the rural areas you can find good talent if you look hard enough.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:24 pm