UTA fires Scott Cross 
True Bobcat Fan

Post UTA fires Scott Cross
last 3 seasons:
21-13
27-9
24-11

granted, he's been there 12yrs and they haven't been back to the dance since his 2nd year, but that's something you just don't see in san marcos.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/co ... oss-1.html

Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: UTA fires Scott Cross
Something's got to be up. I can't imagine it's performance based. I mean how'd he get through the first 9 seasons? Their last 3 are easily the most successful I recall in my time following Southland/Sun Belt basketball.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

@CoachScottCross

Since I have not been able to respond to everyone that has reached out, I decided to write a statement about the events of today! Two things that I believe & will continue to do: #TakeTheStairs & #TrustTheGoodLord!

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

This action by UTA does not make a lot of sense. Odds are, their next hire won't be as good as the guy they just shoved out the door.

Cross is a class act. 72 wins in the past 3 seasons, outstanding. He didn't deserve to be treated this way by a University he'd given so much to.

Hope that he lands on his feet.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 am
True Bobcat Fan

By literally all accounts the decision was performance based.

Which is absolutely head-scratching given the success that program has had over the last 3 seasons. Apparently the expectation was NCAA tournament or else.

I've yet to see a single person support this firing. Whether connected with UTA or not.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:26 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Their "NCAA or else" performance measure is questionable, given that the SBC is a single-bid conference and the bid goes to the tournament winner with no consideration of regular season success. UTA has consistently been in the top 3 of the conference. It isn't like UTA is a resource-rich institution with a highly engaged student body regarding athletics.

I'll bet Cross has passed on other opportunities out of loyalty to his program.

He just became a cautionary tale for whoever they pick-up to replace him.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:49 am
True Bobcat Fan

Can we hire him? I wouldn't mind having 72 wins over 3 seasons.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:22 am
True Bobcat Fan

not going to lie, that was my immediate thought as well.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:27 am
SuperCat

Word is they want to hire Chris Ogden, from Chris Beard's staff at TTU. Ogden is a hell of a coach and great recruiter, but it'll be difficult to match Cross' wins at UTA. I would love for the Bobcat's to have a coach like Scott Cross, or at least one who could make us above average.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:42 am
True Bobcat Fan

never understood the love for chris ogden, probably because i thought barnes was a terrible coach. also maybe because he has the personality of drying paint and looks like an insurance salesman.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

He was fired due to missing the NCAA tournament the last two years with what many regard the best talent they've ever had with Hervey and with Erick Neil last year. The AD and the President want to show their asses as they both arrived after Cross and he was highly regarded since he is an UTA alum. They also want the guy from Texas Tech. I can tell you that few at UTA are happy with this decision. They will loose some of the little Alumni support they had since everybody is pissed off at this move. Attendance is half assed anyway. I don't see much of a difference there unless they really succeed.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Looks like Chris Ogden it is.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/04/05/ut-arlington-will-announce-texas-tech-assistant-chris-ogden-new-mens-basketball-coach-friday

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

"I get why everybody is upset," Ogden said. "There is nobody that has more respect for Scott Cross than I do."

Ummm... given timing, I'm pretty confident Ogden or his agent was having discussions with UTA people prior to Cross departing.

Baker acknowledged the need for a "full-court press" on everything from fundraising and sponsorship to boosting attendance. And he said that Ogden will need "a couple of years" to rebuild.

Really? UTA is a consistent winner. I know they are losing eight seniors, but that is a program with a winning tradition that does not require substantial rebuild or cultural surgery even when losing a number of players.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/04/06/give-chance-howchris-ogdens-first-day-ut-arlington-became-trust-building-exercise

UTA seems highly defensive of these moves. I'm not impressed with Ogden, despite endorsements. UTA is talking routine NCAA appearances, fundraising, sponsors & increasing attendance, and Ogden isn't exactly an engaging individual. I don't see any background that would make me think he has skills in those areas.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:30 am
True Bobcat Fan

Scott Cross has been hired as an assistant by TCU

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... coach-hold

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

WOW. GREAT move by dixon. i really didn't think he'd do so well, and especially so quickly. adding cross is really going to help cement that team at the top of the conf for the foreseeable future.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:34 pm