App State 
True Bobcat Fan

Post App State
Bobcats enter today’s game as 6 point favorites. I don’t know how we can beat anybody by more than 5 with our nail biter style. They beat us by 4 at their place back in December to open conference play. App appears to be an up and down team coming off back to back losses against Arky state and UTA. Very winnable home game assuming we can run a competent offense at all. App has given up 80+ in 4 of their last 5 and lost all 4 of those. They played one low scoring game against LR and won.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:58 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: App State
Bobcats lose for the second time this season to an App squad picked to finish 11th in conference. They go 0-2 on the current home stand to two of the weakest teams in the conference, and have now dropped 4 of their last 5.

I get the UL loss, even the GSU loss, but back to back losses to Coastal and App ... . PATHETIC.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Shocker that it came down to the last possession.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:50 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

When you hold teams to less than 60 points, you should win. Simple as that.

I'm annoyed and don't really feel like breaking down the game. Also, I think there were 20 fouls in the second half. It screwed up any momentum for either team. Our final two minutes was an awful example of offensive execution, even by our meager standards.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:37 am
True Bobcat Fan

Agreed B.G.

That was a painful game to watch. I spent the game jealous of the two guys on App State that could create shots off the dribble. They weren't even that good, but at least they were able to create an open shot.

I'm sick of watching our guys throw the ball around the 3 point line. My favorite is Peakcock's pump fake. No one is going to buy a pump fake when you never shoot the ball.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:47 am
True Bobcat Fan

In addition to our style of offense, I think our problems were compounded by their two 7 footers. Those guys weren't that good but they forced us to shoot more from the outside.....which we are terrible at. I don't know how to fix our offense this year. In the future, we need better shooters to take advantage of some of the zones we are seeing. From there you can develop an inside/outside game. Its really hard to run a half court offense without either solid outside shooters or a dominant big man. You end up passing the ball around the perimeter and scoring 50 a game.

Our current set of players would be better suited for mixing in some tempo and pushing the ball but that is the complete opposite of DK's style so we will continue to play coin flip games.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

We run the most half assed pick and rolls ...and on top of that the player ALWAYS rolls to the basket or to an awkward mid-range position that just ends up clogging things up even worse.

I cannot understand how we are not using the oldest play in the book. It creates matchup issues and if used properly....spacing!!!

Last edited by Fran's Last Twinky on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:35 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I have been watching DK teams for about a decade at its always the same. Sometimes he has the players to overcome the systemic issues, and sometimes he doesn't.

He needs to bring in an assistant from a school that runs a half court offense with mid level talent but does it really well.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I don't see Kaspar as the kind of guy who has a large change scale. I could be wrong.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

He is the least likely coach to make a change that I have ever seen. I like him and he has improved our program, but what you see is what you get.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:55 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

So Coach Popovich is supposedly Kaspar's favorite coach and the basis for his "defense first" mentality. Unfortunately, Kaspar seems to have missed that Pop learned to adapt (beginning with Parker & Ginobili that didn't fit cleanly in Pop's box). He went from a purist grinding motion offense to a really nice blended pace with tons of pick&roll, screen, weaves and pass/cut.

It would be great if our players had the ability to read the court that such complex motion offenses command (moving the ball rapidly until mismatches emerge), but either our players aren't capable of Kaspar isn't good at teaching those reads. Or another aspect is that we don't have the talent/size in the right places to create those mismatches. We also don't really have great ball handling & crisp, speedy passing.

Picking up the pace and shifting to more pick&roll would relieve a bit of pressure on that offense to make long set reads, particularly since I'm not sure our team has the right mix of talent to create true mismatches. I'm not asking for the moon & stars... just go for your shot at 18-20 seconds instead of pushing the 30 seconds & rushed shots at the end. Because, quite honestly, I feel like if we haven't created the mismatch in 18-20 seconds, it ain't gonna happen.

We need to recruit offense. I'd rather take a good offensive player & teach them pesky, irritating defense than try to turn a strong defensive player into a shooter.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I agree with recruiting offense and teaching defense. We need at least a few guys that are good shooters to make this offense work. Guys that can create their own shot would be even better.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:51 am