GA Southern Game 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: GA Southern Game
txstlinds wrote:
They got the win, but boy was it ugly.

This is largely how almost all of our wins are because we are so defense-focused. We drag teams down to our level, which is why I'm surprised we don't draw more frustration fouls from opposing teams. It is more glaring this season because we haven't had stable offensive producers. This is due to Kaspar's coaching approach (not saying it is bad) and the type of player he tends to recruit. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I do think it creates an artificial ceiling for our program. I like strong defense so I don't get real upset, but we really need to get our offense in gear. It would probably make our defense better because it would relieve some pressure.

Just boosting our average offensive production by 5-6 points per game would make a monster difference in this team's success. Right now we are at 68.1 ppg. That puts us at #304. 74 would put us into the high 100s (with our stingy defense, we just need an "average" offense). Not enough time this season to bring the average up that far, but it needs to be a goal next season. Hell, we could do it partially just by fixing our awful 64.8% FT percentage (#335, if you're keeping score) and getting it up to a serviceable 71% or 72%.

Our scoring defense is 63.4, good for #16. If we can maintain that and bring up offensive production just a little, it'll make a world of difference and I'll probably finally get to place a March Madness bet on my Bobcats.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:52 am
True Bobcat Fan

TXST wrote:
Looks like another potential 20 win season with a team that seems to be in transition. Isn't this a good thing? I thought we would have a good team this year and I'm not sure how "good" we actually are but the SunBelt makes us look better than we are. Wins are wins. Right?

yes and no.

20w is a base metric to judge teams playing a typical p5 schedule, not a g5 team playing 300+ strength of schedule. what's weird about us this year is that as our sos has gone up, so have our wins. we were 7-6 against an absolutely embarrassing ooc slate, and as our sos has gotten tougher, we've gone 7-2.

and it's not the sunbelt itself that's making us look good right now, so much as the scheduling. we still have 9 games left, and 6 are vs teams in the top 1/2 of the conf. 20w might happen, but maybe not until the tourney.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:03 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Along those same lines...

Given our SOS (and no other metrics considered)... What would be a good record?

I grant you undefeated would be a good record, but let's be realistic.

And... along those same lines, when are we going to stop being in transition? Shouldn't we be at that point by now?

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

afaic, record means absolutely nothing. our goal is the conf title and an ncaa berth. if that's 17w, so be it. 23w? great. make the dance - that's the deal.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:06 pm
Junior Bobcat

I don’t think it’s a transition year. We were picked 6th in the conference and had three JUCOs committed. I think a transition year is reliant on fresh and sophomores. There are two seniors and two juniors starting. I like next year’s team better than this year’s on paper, but it’s not a “transition team” in my opinion.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:46 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcats lose to GSU on the road 54-50. They go 1-1 on the swing through Georgia. All in all, not a bad weekend. Two would have been sweet, but a split against that level of competition is a solid outcome.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 pm
SuperCat

The cats did everything they had to do to win this game but make shots. Simonds closed the game out for them. He was impressive when it mattered most. Struggled before that though with 7 to's I believe. Hopefully we can win the next two games.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

UTA got swept this weekend, so that makes me feel good. Good to know that we are truly belong in the top 4 of the sunbelt

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:44 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Don't get too far in front of your skis Larry . . . still a lot of Basketball left to play.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:12 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Kaspar's teams get better as the season progresses -- barring any injuries I think we can get 19 wins by tourney time. We have a tough 3 game road stretch, but still

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
Along those same lines...

Given our SOS (and no other metrics considered)... What would be a good record?

I grant you undefeated would be a good record, but let's be realistic.

And... along those same lines, when are we going to stop being in transition? Shouldn't we be at that point by now?

Overall record isn't tremendously useful because our SOS is a joke. My opinion would change if we weren't playing the Little Sisters for the Poor in our OCC. We also need all Sunbelt teams to improve their respective OCC schedules, as that improves conference ranking, SOS of all teams in the conference, NCAA seeding and even introduces a possibility of a second birth in the right circumstances.

I would consider a good record as one that gets you to about 6 conference losses or less during the regular season. That positions you for more favorable seeding in the Sunbelt tournament with at least a single-bye or even a double-bye. Byes in the conference tournament improve the odds of winning the conference tournament and securing the NCAA birth. Of course that being said, Kaspar teams are momentum teams, and I'm a little concerned how they would respond to byes.

I'm also a little fascinated by how our conference record thus far is better than our OCC record, considering how weak our OCC was. All Kaspar teams improve over the season, but it is particularly glaring this season.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:18 am
True Bobcat Fan

cgd469 wrote:
The cats did everything they had to do to win this game but make shots

The Georgia State game may have been the only game more painful than the utsa game to watch. We couldn't make a LAYUP for crying out loud to save our lives can't remember how many times I saw the ball just absolutely slammed way too hard against the glass and then there was one possession where we had a 2 on 1 fast break and could not even finish that. Really, that could have summed up the game. Overall, we looked very reckless and nobody seemed to know how to dribble the ball- had trouble keeping control of the ball the whole game. I even saw one inbound play where we literally just handed the panthers the ball. Our defense didn't really bend but it sure did break when it mattered. We would play good D the first 10-15 seconds of the possession and then the final 5-10 seconds of the possession we just let them drive for layups at will without contesting them at all.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I think I've said something to this effect before, but it looks like we have a severe case of anxiety on offense. If we dropped Xanax in the water bottles, would that be considered a performance enhancing drug?

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
I think I've said something to this effect before, but it looks like we have a severe case of anxiety on offense. If we dropped Xanax in the water bottles, would that be considered a performance enhancing drug?

This is my biggest issue with this team. Every set on offense feels like everyone is afraid to try and make a play for fear of getting yelled at.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:40 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Went to the ULL game this past weekend. This year's team just doesn't have alot of basketball talent and I think we're doing as well as we are in conference due to pretty good coaching. Nottingham is really the only decent ball handler...just about everyone else is a dribble turnover waiting to happen against decent defenders. Shooting wise we bricked everything, even during warmups. I was watching that game thinking it's disappointing that team from a few years ago that had Montalvo, Gant, and Gilder-Tilbury on it, which was probably the most talented team we've had in a while, didn't do anything.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:07 pm