Game Thread - @ Abilene Christian 
SuperCat

Post Re: Game Thread - @ Abilene Christian
Just wanted to mention that the OOC schedule seems much weaker under Kasper and think that has something to do with the recent record.
This is my 50th year of watching Bobcat sports, seen a lot of good and bad basketball. I like Kasper and appreciate his style, but wish he would bring in a couple good basketball teams. Everybody thinks Dougie was bad, but at least he played good teams. Did not mind losing to them as much.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I've mentioned multiple times my dismay with basketball non-conference scheduling under Kaspar, that being said it's always been trash for the most part for the last dozen years. We still played multiple non-D1s a year under Davalos. At least Kaspar never loses to them. Davalos lost to Our Lady of the Lake University. And gave up 127 points in the process....

Our non-conference scheduling in basketball absolutely must be improved and its even gotten a little worse under Kaspar, but it's always been trash.

Strahan renovations should help, but only if Kaspar makes a concerted effort to improve it, which I am skeptical he will. This is an issue across the board in college basketball when you let coaches have a say in scheduling. A lot of these guys have bonuses written into their contracts for winning a certain amount of games. Not sure if Kaspar does or not, but if he hits a bonus for winning 20 games you'd see why he'd want to schedule weak.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:30 am
SuperCat

Non conference teams at home bother me because they charge the same to see St. Edwards as
SMU and I've gotten to the point that I won't drive the forty plus miles (45-60 minutes driving time) to see them. (Still pay because we get season tickets).
I'm pretty sure that Kasper has input on scheduling because I heard him say that he wouldn't be playing SFA again. Probably does have financial incentive to get to 20 win level.
I'm an old golf pro and think that you play to the level of your competition. Was always advised that if I wanted to get better, play people that can beat you. Helps you step up your game.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:32 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Agree with all of that.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:55 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I think playing tougher teams is in general a good idea, as you are right... Iron sharpens iron.

I totally understood playing those "cupcakes" early in his tenure... He's gotta install his scheme, get some wins early to build confidence... But he's been here long enough that shouldn't be an issue.

The roster isn't so massive (like a baseball or football team) that requiring all these "super easy" games is necessary at this point. Or at least it shouldn't be.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:24 pm
SuperCat

I understand getting an easy win early, but you need to push yourself a little. Should help with upcoming conference games. Might even get supporters interested!

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:18 am