Game Thread - @ Houston Baptist 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Game Thread - @ Houston Baptist
Texas State is on the road tonight taking on the Huskies from Houston Baptist in Sharp Gymnasium at 7pm Saturday.

I'll get my negativity out of the way:
Basketball scheduling still drives me crazy. Why we are playing a true road game against a team that's been D1 for 8 years and plays in the 3rd smallest gym in D1 college basketball I don't know. This game should be in Strahan Coliseum. I'm sure this is part of a home and home deal and we'll likely play HBU in SM next year but still. I digress...

HBU is 2-5 on the season but 0-5 against D1 competition.
Their two wins are against Arlington Baptist and Dallas Christian. These aren't NCAA (or NAIA even) schools. They play in the NCCAA (National Christian College Athletic Association). Their losses are to Providence (29 points), Belmont (5 points), Detroit (7 points in overtime), Virginia Tech (26 points), and Oklahoma State (27 points).

Despite the early season struggles, HBU wasn't a bad team last year. They were 17-14 overall, 12-6 in conference, and finished in a 3-way tie for 2nd place in the Southland Conference. They were knocked out in the Southland Quarterfinals by Sam Houston State but accepted an invite to the CIT like the Bobcats did. They were knocked out in the first round however by Campbell 98-79. The drop-off this season looks to be expected as they were picked to finish 9th in the 13 team Southland after last year's 2nd place finish.

This should be a very challenging game for TXST as HBU is built differently than our recent opponents. This is a frontcourt heavy team led by 6'11" senior center Josh Ibarra. Ibarra was named 2nd team preseason all-Southland and is averaging a near double-double so far in the young season with 17 PPG and 9.3 RPG. King and Terry haven't had to play at a size disadvantage much this season but certainly will tonight against Ibarra.

Two other players to watch for the Huskies are 6'6" freshman forward David Caraher from Chappel Hill, NC and 6'3" freshman guard Ian DuBose from Durham, NC. I found it interesting two of their best players are freshman from the homes of UNC and Duke. Caraher is averaging 13.6 PPG, 5.1 RPG, and is one of team's best 3-point threats shooting 38.9% from 3 and putting up 5.14 3-point attempts a game. DuBose is averaging 13 PPG and 4.4 RPG. Peacock/Prijovic will get tasked with defending Caraher and all 3 players look to play a similar stretch-4 style. I think Pearson will defend DuBose and if DuBose gets matched up against Pearson it could be a nice TXST advantage as Pearson has 2 inches on DuBose.

I don't see any Vegas odds released for this game but fully expect TXST would be road favorites against the Huskies.

Free live video available via Husky Sports Network here:
http://hbuhuskies.com/sports/2015/9/1/GEN_0901154305.aspx

Bill Culhane will have the radio call on 1300 The Zone in Austin and KTSW 89.9 in San Marcos.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:12 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Game Thread - @ Houston Baptist
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Should be a good test on how we do against a team with a strong inside presence.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Peacock getting his 2nd straight start at the 4.

Starters:
1 - Davis
2 - Blount
3 - Pearson
4 - Peacock
5 - King

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

HBU up 8-7 at the first media timeout.

Video isn't bad.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

HBU shooting 67% from the field so far and up 15-10 with 12 minutes till halftime.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

23-16 Huskies with 7 minutes till halftime.

8 for Pearson for TXST and 8 for Ibarra for HBU. Ibarra hurting us already, we keep challenging him in the post and he's winning so far.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

32-26 Huskies at final media timeout of first half.

Peacock picked up 2 fouls and Deris Duncan and Quinton Scott have played the 4 since Peacock went out, that means Prijovic is out tonight. I'm guessing Gurley is still out also.

We need to get healthy by conference play.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Not a good first half for the Bobcats. It's 38-30 Huskies at halftime.

HBU is shooting a blistering 59.1% from the field, they keep shooting lights out and we will lose this game. They've also hit all 10 of their free throws so far. We need them to cool off.

TXST is only shooting 36.4% from the field, including a paltry 9.1% from 3 (1 for 11).

Pearson leads all scorers at the half with 10 points on 4/9 shooting. Blount has added 6, but he's 0/5 from 3. Need our biggest 3-point threat to hit some 3s in the 2nd half.

Ibarra has 8 points on 2/2 shooting from the field and 4/4 shooting from the FT line. PG Braxton Bonds has 8 also on 4/6 shooting. SG Will Gates has 7 and Caraher chipped in 6.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

We're getting killed by a bad team. 47-33 HBU.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

We FINALLY hit a 3 to make it 50-40 with about 11 minutes left.

We're 2/17 from 3 now....

Pearson still leading the way with 13.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:18 pm
SuperCat

This is aweful. Kind of looks like the volleyball team last night. Just going through the motions. One team came ready to play and it wasn't us.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Really pathetic loss. Got blown out by a 3,300 student private school in a 1,000 seat gym. 71-52 final.

A. We had no answer for Ibarra. 14 points and 17 rebounds. Yeah, 17.... First team we've played with a true center of that height and we failed that test miserably. We couldn't keep him off the glass and couldn't score on him despite trying repeatedly for the entire game. We were outrebounded tonight as a team 39-28. That's pathetic against a team of this caliber.
B. Terrible shooting night. We've shot the ball uncharacteristically well to start the season, but have uncharacteristically turned the ball over a ton. Tonight we only turned it over 11 times, but of course we counter that by shooting 30.5% from the field and 10% from 3. Pathetic shooting night. Blount 0/6 from 3.
C. Pearson needs help. 16 points sounds nice until you see he had to shoot 19 times to get there. We need to get Gurley and Prijovic back healthy to be any good. By the 2nd half we had no clue what to do offensively other than give it to Pearson, who wasn't shooting well. He could beat his guy, but he couldn't beat Ibarra at the rim.

We play our first non-D1 game of the season this week. We should get back over .500, but we play as bad as we did tonight you never know....

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:54 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

I saw someone tweet that they looked intimidated. Hostile crowd and such.

I sincerely hope they weren’t or else we’re in for a long season.

Houston Baptist. Intimidating.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:43 pm
SuperCat

I was at the game last night. HBU did have a---if you can say "large"(for Sharpe Gym) and vocal crowd. The size of the gym makes for fans very close to the sidelines of the court. I was 4 rows behind our bench, and could hear Kaspar getting pissed about our guys not blocking out. Now we had a good showing of fans, I think mostly family and friends of the players. Another thing I saw was HBU playing up tempo and getting the ball out quick when they got a rebound. They were fast breaking and slashing to the rim a lot.

Agree that we had no answer for their big man, and our shooting sucked. HBU stated to pull away, and get in the zone where all things were going right for them. That got their crowd very pumped-up, and into the game.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:24 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

No point analyzing this game... just a blanket shitting of the bed.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:21 am