Game Thread - Vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Game Thread - Vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
TXST returns home after a 2-1 stretch in California to host the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders at 7pm Wednesday night in Strahan Coliseum. The Islanders are an old foe from the Southland conference.

After a solid 24-12 season last year that saw them reach the title game of the CIT in the postseason (where they lost by 1 to Saint Peter's, the same team that knocked TXST out of the tournament), the Islanders are off to a tough start to the 2017-2018 season with a 1-4 record so far. After a season opening win against non-D1 Our Lady of the Lake they've dropped 4 straight against Baylor, UT-RGV, Georgia, and UTSA. They did keep it to within 3 points against 5-1 Georgia though.

Despite the tough start I still feel this is a dangerous team. The Islanders finished tied for 2nd in the Southland a year ago and were picked 4th in the SLC preseason poll, receiving 2 first place votes.

Their early struggles are likely in part to what will likely be a season ending injury to their top player, Egyptian senior guard Ehab Amin. Amin averaged 16.9 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 2.9 APG, and 3.4 SPG last year. He was named preseason first-team all Southland this year before having surgery. Last year's top scorer Rashawn Thomas is also gone for the Islanders.

6'5" senior guard Joseph Kilgore has stepped into the leader role so far this season, leading the team in most statistical categories including scoring, rebounding, and assists while playing 35.8 minutes per game. I suspect Pearson will get the defensive assignment on Kilgore. 6'2" redshirt sophomore shooting guard Kareem South has also been a big contributor adding 13.2 PPG and 4 RPG while playing 34.6 MPG. South is the team's biggest 3-point threat having hit 10 of 19 3s so far this season. Blount or Davis will be tasked with defending South.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
First change to the starting lineup this season as Peacock gets the start at power forward over Prijovic. Hopefully that's performance based as Peacock has been playing well. Don't need an injury to Prijovic.

Peacock just hit a 3 and was fouled at the first media timeout. Islanders lead 9-8 early and Peacock will be at the line for one coming out of the time out. Peacock leading TXST so far with 5 points.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Prijovic into the game, but apparently isn't 100% with a knee injury.
Isaiah Gurley not active tonight either for the 2nd straight game with an injury.

Cats lead 18-13 at the under 8 media timeout.

Peacock and Terry have 6 apiece. Pearson hasn't scored yet.
Kilgore has 5 for the Islanders.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

27-13 Bobcats with 1:26 left in the half.

Corpus hasn't scored in 6:15....

Peacock having a game so far.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcats lead 33-16 at the half. Great team defensive performance so far.

Peacock with 13 points and 4 assists.
Terry had a great half also with 8 points. He was the recipient of most of those Peacock assists.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

47-30 at the under 12 timeout.

'Cock up to 20.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

11-0 run for Corpus. Kaspar calls a timeout.

Lead was at 50-30 a minute ago, down to 52-41 now.

We are still turning the ball over way too much. 17 turnovers so far tonight. I think we averaged around 11-12 a game last year.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

58-49 at the final media timeout.

TXST struggling to close this one out. 20 turnovers now on the Cats.

Big men in foul trouble for the Islanders as they have 3 guys with 4 fouls each.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXST closes it out 66-53 to get over .500 for the first time this season after a tough 0-2 start. Bobcats have won 4 of 5 now to get to 4-3 on the season.

Alex Peacock had a breakout game in his first career start. He was a rebound and an assist shy of a triple double as he finished with 21 points, 9 rebounds, and 9 assists. Guy can really dish the ball for a forward.

Terry had 9 points and Pearson finished with 8 after a scoreless first half.

Positives are the defense looked like a typical Kaspar defense and we shot the ball well for the 2nd straight game. The Islanders had just 16 points at the half and only shot 37% from the field. TXST shot 50% from the field on 22 of 44 shooting.

The glaring negative is this team continues to struggle taking care of the ball. 22 turnovers tonight is just way too many and it allowed Corpus to hang around after we built a 20 point lead. Turnovers typically aren't an issue with Kaspar coached teams so I'm optimistic this gets cleaned up soon.

TXST heads to Houston Saturday to take on HBU.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:07 pm
Junior Bobcat

No Gurley, no Nedja and a sub par performance (offensively) by Pearson and we won by double digits. Don’t care how bad the opponent is, that’s good stuff.

Are they running a lot of the offense through Peacock in the high post? I was kinda of “eh” on Peacock when he signed. 11-6 at the juco level just didn’t get me excited. He’s proven me wrong big time so far. Hopefully he can keep his confidence and play well.

I think Shead may be the best PG on the team but having to sit out due to transfer (and seems he’s paying his own way to do it too). Hopefully we can get healthy and get more chemistry by conference play.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'm not too happy with the performance. Way too many turnovers. CC had a lot of open looks, but they just were really bad at shooting.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:52 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Peacock has been much better than I anticipated. I'm particularly impressed with his interior passing--we haven't had somebody with a combo of good interior aggression & passing skills in a long time, especially at the forward position. As an added bonus, he has made 88% of his free throws and has some defensive moxie.

King, Pearson & Davis combined for 14 turnovers against Corpus. Davis had more turnovers than points--the dude needs to get it together as he is sucking wind so far this season. King has been a bit of a turnover machine, averaging 3.4 per game.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 am