Game Thread - Vs. UT Rio Grande Valley 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Game Thread - Vs. UT Rio Grande Valley
The Bobcats are desperately seeking their first win of the season after a rough 0-2 start as they host the UTRGV Vaqueros at 4:30pm Saturday afternoon in Strahan Coliseum.

UTRGV is coming off a solid win against a Texas A&M-Corpus Christi team that beat the bobcats a season ago. The Vaqueros are 2-1 on the year, having won their last two over Corpus and Bethune-Cookman after dropping their opener to Nicholls in Edinburg.

The Vaqueros went 10-22 last season and 2-12 in the WAC. They lost their first round game in the WAC tournament in overtime to UMKC to end their season. They beat TXST last year in Edinburg 72-61. Keep in mind the Bobcats started slow last year also.

UTRGV was picked to finish 6th in the preseason poll in the 8 team WAC after finishing 7th last year. They are expected to be a much improved team this year. Senior guard Nick Dixon was a first-team all WAC preseason selection after leading the conference in scoring as a junior last year.

UTRGV looks to run a very fast-paced offense and start a very small lineup. Their starters appear to essentially be a 5 guard lineup and they are averaging 93.3 PPG through 3 games. As you'd expect with up-tempo teams they will sub a lot and do have some size on their bench. Despite the high team scoring they haven't been a particularly good 3-point shooting team at just 29.9% on the season. I'm expecting almost a Davalos style of play.

Dixon is easily the biggest threat to watch out for. He's currently ranked 23rd in the nation at 24.7 PPG. He's shooting 50% from the field at 21/42 on the season, 33% from 3, and 82.4% from the free throw line. He's gotten to the foul line 34 times already in just 3 games. UTRGV has a small backcourt and I'm curious how we defend Dixon. My guess is Pearson will be tasked with the assignment on top of his usual assignment of leading the offense. Dixon isn't huge at 6'2" 180 but Tyler Blount likely wouldn't be able to contain Dixon at just 5'10".
Xavier McDaniel is their biggest threat in the frontcourt, but also undersized at just 6'6" 190 for the Vaqueros. Immanuel King will get another opportunity against an undersized opponent as King has 2 inches and about 40 pounds on McDaniel. I expect Kaspar will try and get the ball into the post early in the game to see if we can take advantage of the size differential there. It should be noted the Vaqueros do have some size on their bench, but their big guys haven't contributed much offensively yet this season. McDaniel is a serious threat though despite his size as he's averaging a double-double at 15 PPG and 10.3 RPG. Not an easy matchup by any means. The scary part is can King defend McDaniel? McDaniel will stretch King and force him to have to defend the perimeter as he does have a 3-point shot (a very good one at 42.9%). Both players will likely have an offensive advantage over the other. While Kaspar rarely ever plays a zone defense, I wouldn't be too surprised if we pulled one out tonight at times.
3rd guy to watch out for is Moe McDonald. McDonald is averaging 10.7 PPG and averages 42.9% from 3 just like McDaniel. McDonald is averaging less than 3 PPG despite having decent size at 6'4" 195. If McDonald is asked to guard Prijovic we need Nedja to have a bigger impact offensively. We have the definite size advantage in the frontcourt with King/Prijovic at 6'8"/6'8" compared to the Vaqueros with McDaniel/McDonald at 6'6"/6'4". We won't be able to run with them all game so expect Kaspar to run the usual slow developing half court sets. UTRGV will likely press us as well to try and pick up the pace. Will be a clash of styles with their up-tempo vs. our grind it out style.

Have not seen any odds for this game and it doesn't appear to be televised. Radio and TXST produced video available on the website.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. UT Rio Grande Valley
34-24 TXST at halftime.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Pearson with a big half.
16 points on 5/9 shooting and 8 rebounds.

Prijovic with 6 and 3.

Dixon has just one point for UTRGV.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

46-35 TXST at under 16 media.

King having a strong 2nd half so far and now has 6 points and 5 rebounds.
Prijovic up to 9 and 5.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

65-49 at the under 8 media.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcats win 75-58. Good dominating win.

Pearson finished with a double-double with 19 and 11.
Prijovic was a rebound away from a double-double of his own with 13 and 9.
King had 13 and 8 and Eric Terry added 10 off the bench.

Good game from the TXST frontcourt.

We head to Stockton, CA for 3 games this week as part of the Men Against Breast Cancer Showcase now, starting with Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Wednesday night.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Utrgv beat TAMUCC

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:46 pm
SuperCat

I do feel better about our pg's after yesterdays game. Nottingham wants to play a 100 mph all the time. He finally played more under control. I like his ability to break the press on his own. All three pg's ran the offense pretty well.

I. Gurley looked slow on offense. His shots were way off. We really need him to step up. Hopefully he finds his groove as he gets healthier.

Forwards and centers are going to be fine.

It all boils down to our guard play. If they get better throuout the season then this team will thrive. I have high hopes.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:29 am