Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Looking ahead 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Looking ahead
I'm really bummed out about tonight's loss, but it's way better than where I expected us to be 3 months ago. I'm really excited about Prijovic, Davis, and obviously Pearson. They all have a really high skill ceiling and Prijovic really has come a long ways since the Fall. Hopefully Starwood breaks out next season and covers for KGT. And hopefully Tre Nottingham will be a good replacement for Black.

I was looking at the stat sheet and Pearson has more points this season than Montalvo did in his senior season.

What I really want is for the inside scoring game to improve and that will for sure knock us over the 20+ win margin.

I do have a fear lingering in the back of my mind that we might be a sorry team again and Pearson will be the only bright spot (like Shabazz at App St). But 85% of me is sure that Kaspar will finally start working his magic here.

Furthermore, we need to recruit a guy 6'10 or over. We are sorely lacking in that department. Though this website doesn't seem to indicate we are offering anyone at that height.. https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/texas-state

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 am
Junior Bobcat

Post Re: Looking ahead
A 6-10 guy would be great but there's just not many of those guys that go to the Sun Belt that actually are good players.

Nottingham and Davis at PG should be solid. Pearson obviously. I think Prijovic is going to be the replacement for KGT rather than Starwood at the stretch 4. I worry about the starting SG spot. Think Blount as a backup SG and Julien and Duncan as the backup 2/3 are ok but don't see any of those guys playing 20+ minutes on a good team. Then same situation at the post spot. King, Starwood and Terry are guys next year that should be quality backup players but need a guy that can play 20+ minutes and really contribute on the glass and have some offensive game.

Need to recruit a starting SG and hope one of the three post players make a big leap their second year with the program. Hopefully Nottingham and Davis will be able to play alongside each other to help at the 2 spot.

Every year has seen a ton of turnover, we'll see if the guys not in the rotation stick it out unlike previous years.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:09 am
True Bobcat Fan

You can find 6'10" players, but the ones that will settle for the Sun Belt have to be developed. Jeff Foster worked hard and went to some good summer camps that probably weren't cheap. He developed into a damn good Southland player and had a good career in the NBA.

It is nice to see a winning season for the first time since the early 2000's (I think 2003 was our last winning season). Hopefully they can build on that.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:17 am
True Bobcat Fan

stlwildcats nailed most of the outlook pretty good.

We should be solid at PG. Davis has had a good freshman season and should only be better next year. The JUCO signee Nottingham is averaging 16.3 PPG and 4.4 APG in JUCO right now. Josephs could still be kicking around on the roster next year also.

SG is a concern. We only return Blount and Julien. Blount can shoot but is only 5-11. Guys like that usually aren't physically capable of playing 20+ minutes a game anywhere other than PG. Julien is a sophomore and has yet to even become a role player. He's been a reserve for his two seasons. Need to recruit a SG. Pearson could probably play here if needed and Davis/Nottingham could possibly both play on the court at the same time (Black and Davis did for parts of last night).

Pearson has the 3 all but locked down obviously. Deris Duncan provides depth.

Prijovic is likely the starter in KGT's spot next year. Starwood played at the 4 a tad early in the year but not much at all since. We never don't have either KGT or Prijovic on the floor anymore. They are never on the bench at the same time. Probably need to recruit another guy who can play here.

King and Starwood return down low. Neither has been very effective this year. Both had awful games last night. The redshirt will come off Eric Terry here also next year. I've only seen him play in the exhibition game in November and frankly don't remember much.

We lose 4 guys after this year. We've already signed a PG. We probably need to sign a 2, a 4, and a 5 with the other 3 available spots.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It would be nice to pull a 6'10"+ player, but any of them at our level are going to be serious projects that require extensive development. I really don't know how critical it is to have someone that big--I think we'd be better off investing in other positions that have a deeper talent pool at the high school & CC level, particularly SG. I'd rather have someone 6'7" with solid talent & technique than a big project player.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:34 am
Junior Bobcat

Looks like Shelby Adams has committed to Texas State from Converse, TX. An article from before the season and his Max Preps page linked.

https://texashoops.rivals.com/news/shelby-adams

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=5f0c1220-975f-e411-b4d2-002655e6c45a&ssid=5f66328c-ed6b-4899-9d0d-3df9995e1b7b

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

stlwildcats wrote:
Looks like Shelby Adams has committed to Texas State from Converse, TX. An article from before the season and his Max Preps page linked.

https://texashoops.rivals.com/news/shelby-adams

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=5f0c1220-975f-e411-b4d2-002655e6c45a&ssid=5f66328c-ed6b-4899-9d0d-3df9995e1b7b

His hudl: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4810289/shelby-adams

Twitter link: https://twitter.com/AlamoCityHoops1/sta ... 0233012231

6'3 SG from Judson. Originally committed to Sam Houston and flipped his commitment over to us. Alamo City Hoops twitter is really big on him and says he's a big recruit. I'd imagine that's what it says in the article but I don't have access to rivals

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:44 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

He's a talented dude and a good fit for us. He gets talked up a lot in the SA region.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
He's a talented dude and a good fit for us. He gets talked up a lot in the SA region.

FWIW, when Westlake played Steele two weeks ago, they effectively shut down their 5-star forward (who is currently 16th in the nation at his position) with their 6'7/6'8"/6'10" post guys (two 3-star and one a 4-star).

When Westlake played Judson the week before that, Adams was getting to the basket almost at will. He will come in and be Freshman POY and be an immediate contributor. He's the best pure scorer we've had since Donte Mathis.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:42 am
True Bobcat Fan

If this occurs along with the new construction and hopefully improved FB season, we could get some buzz going at TXST. These guys need support though. Teis needs to do what he can to make sure they have what they need regardless. If he ever wanted to hang his hat on something, the time is now. That goes for Trauth as well.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:56 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
He will come in and be Freshman POY and be an immediate contributor. He's the best pure scorer we've had since Donte Mathis.

Hopefully a taxman endorsement isn't a kiss of death for Adams.

Picking up a slashing SG is a pretty good fill of a need position for us. Conley will be gone after this season and Blount is a shooter. We will need a penetrating SG and if that's his game it opens the door for lots of early playing time for Adams. Need to keep the recruiting rolling. With this year's crop of freshman we could be onto something if we can keep it up. I'm praying for a big man still though.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
FWIW, when Westlake played Steele two weeks ago, they effectively shut down their 5-star forward (who is currently 16th in the nation at his position) with their 6'7/6'8"/6'10" post guys (two 3-star and one a 4-star).

there's no such thing as a 5* who is 16th at his position.
liddell is ranked #19 in the nation overall, the #5 small forward, and the #2 player in the state.
http://247sports.com/Player/Gerald-Liddell-85995

Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:43 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:

liddell is ranked #19 in the nation overall, the #5 small forward, and the #2 player in the state.

Your obsession with everything I write is scary, and to point out he is 19th instead of 16th? Petty.

Btw, could it be possible that his ranking changed after the season when he was nullified at the playoff game? That info came from talking to collegiate coaches who were actively recruiting him, unlike you I'll trade notes and pass on the info. Not go google endlessly for days until I find something to fits a narrative to "prove someone wrong."

Let it go dude, I've never met you. Don't want to meet you (you actually scare me a bit how obsessed and hateful you are towards me). I'm not in the least bit interested in having a conversation with you on anything. That's why I blocked your posts on other forums, it's bordering on harassment/online stalking.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:

Your obsession with everything I write is scary, and to point out he is 19th instead of 16th? Petty.

Btw, could it be possible that his ranking changed after the season when he was nullified at the playoff game? That info came from talking to collegiate coaches who were actively recruiting him, unlike you I'll trade notes and pass on the info. Not go google endlessly for days until I find something to fits a narrative to "prove someone wrong."

Let it go dude, I've never met you. Don't want to meet you (you actually scare me a bit how obsessed and hateful you are towards me). I'm not in the least bit interested in having a conversation with you on anything. That's why I blocked your posts on other forums, it's bordering on harassment/online stalking.

There's a difference in being ranked 19th overall (as in all positions) vs. 16th at his position.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

And that was Saul's point.

If he was 16th at his position he wouldn't be a 5-star player. There are only a small handful of 5-star players at each position.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:32 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next