Game Thread - Vs. South Alabama 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. South Alabama
x wrote:
Georgia southern lost to Little Rock.

We're only 1/2 game out of 3rd but still in 5th.

GSU and GS play on 3/4...someone gotta lose.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:57 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
That game was the most fun of the year I've attended.

Great finish. Glad the seniors got to go out having a good time.

USA may be piiiiised if we meet them in New Orleans but screw it man. Technical was worth it. Great game.

Let's go get a top 4 seed man! #whynotus

Was the most fun I've had at a MBB game in a long, long time. The pour on at the end was just... wow. USA may be out for blood if we catch them in the draw. This game may have demoralized them though--I don't see USA advancing at all from their play over the last three games.

I just hope we didn't get too high after this game and go into this last road trip focused.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:20 am
True Bobcat Fan

Yep. We go 2-0 we are likely to get a top 4 seed.

Can't lose to last place ULM in the finale on Saturday, but we have ULL on a quick turnaround first this week on Thursday night. That's going to be a huge game. They beat us on our home court, we should be out for revenge.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:39 am
True Bobcat Fan

Scores yesterday:

UL-Lafayette 77
Appalachian State 62

UL-Monroe 72
Coastal Carolina 77

South Alabama 64
Texas State 90

Georgia State 67
Arkansas State 78

Troy 67
Texas Arlington 82

Georgia Southern 54
Little Rock 56
(Yeah!)

Updated Standings:
Texas Arlington 13-3
Arkansas State 11-5
Georgia Southern 11-6
Georgia State 11-6
Texas State 10-6
Coastal Carolina 10-7
Troy 8-8
UL-Lafayette 8-8
South Alabama 6-10
Little Rock 5-11
Appalachian State 3-14
UL-Monroe 2-14

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:47 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:

Almost more important is that we would enter the tournament with the momentum of a 3 game win streak. I'm a huge believer in momentum when it comes to conference tournaments and even the NCAA tournament, for that matter (no, that is not a prediction). I weigh momentum heavily when I fill out my bracket.

We may be looking at a 20+ win season when the dust clears away. I cannot believe I am saying that right now. Hell, I can't believe we're having meaningful conversations about MBB this late in the season.

We haven't been talking about it much, but the ladies are playing well, sitting tied for 3rd and only 1 game out of 2nd place.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:01 am
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
x wrote:

Almost more important is that we would enter the tournament with the momentum of a 3 game win streak.

2-0 in la would give us a 4 game win streak going to the tourney.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:07 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
x wrote:

We may be looking at a 20+ win season when the dust clears away. I cannot believe I am saying that right now. Hell, I can't believe we're having meaningful conversations about MBB this late in the season.

I was talking about that with someone in the AD after the game, they just shook their head and nodded "Oh, yeah. This will be a 20 win season." Kaspar is fairly confident they will be playing somewhere in the postseason, he actually expected LAST year's team to be a right at where the team is today. The team is actually behind schedule to where he thought his rebuilding would be.

To think some wanted Kaspar gone earlier this season.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:35 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
2-0 in la would give us a 4 game win streak going to the tourney.

I believe we established long ago that math is not my strong suit, and apparently that includes inability to even count on my fingers. :lol: :oops:

Prior to the season, everything about this season pointed to a rough ride. Lot's of new players, young/inexperienced, depth challenges... Even the coaches poll had us dead last or almost dead last, as I recall.

I wasn't ready to show the door, but I was getting very worried. x and I are pretty similar in how we view basketball and I think he was in the same boat as me at the beginning.

I do hope these guys get a chance to play somewhere in the post-season. They've earned some fun and a chance to show off a bit more. It'll really help recruiting as well--a lot of recruits are going to get excited about the improvement this season.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:36 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:

I do hope these guys get a chance to play somewhere in the post-season. They've earned some fun and a chance to show off a bit more. It'll really help recruiting as well--a lot of recruits are going to get excited about the improvement this season.

Especially for the Seniors. Last night's send-off was the most heartfelt, emotional farewell that I've seen in a long long time for Bobcat Student Athletes. From both the players and the crowd.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:52 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
I wasn't ready to show the door, but I was getting very worried. x and I are pretty similar in how we view basketball and I think he was in the same boat as me at the beginning.

To quote myself in the preseason:
Quote:
Obviously the success of this team will likely lie in the success of these newcomers. If these guys can come in and contribute immediately at a high level we could see some success, we don't have time for them to need a season in the system to get it though. If these guys struggle, we could be in for a rough year.

There are two reasons we've seen success this year:
Our newcomers, particularly the freshman trio of Pearson, Prijovic, and Davis, have come in and competed immediately as a high level as freshman. Without their ability to immediately compete at this level we'd probably be in bad shape this year.
The other thing is, I think all 3 of our primary seniors stepped up their game considerably in the offseason. Tilbury has turned into one of the better players in the Sun Belt, Black has become a scoring option, and Conley went from a role player last year to a solid outside shooter and a 3rd scoring option this year.

Replacing those 3 will be tough, but the future is bright with this year's group of freshman.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:32 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:

There are two reasons we've seen success this year:
Our newcomers, particularly the freshman trio of Pearson, Prijovic, and Davis, have come in and competed immediately as a high level as freshman. Without their ability to immediately compete at this level we'd probably be in bad shape this year.
The other thing is, I think all 3 of our primary seniors stepped up their game considerably in the offseason. Tilbury has turned into one of the better players in the Sun Belt, Black has become a scoring option, and Conley went from a role player last year to a solid outside shooter and a 3rd scoring option this year.

Replacing those 3 will be tough, but the future is bright with this year's group of freshman.

Blount and Davis will fill in nicely for Black and Conley, they are almost the same type of players. Plus the signee guard (Tre Nottingham) we have will contribute immediately.

As bad as it sucked for McCrea to get injured, it gave King and Starwood valuable playing time. The ceiling for the team the next three years will be at least one trip to the dance. Starwood will be the key though, if he can start grasping the offense better and developing into a post presence. Right now we have a glaring hole in the paint.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Blount and Davis are nowhere near the same type of players Conley and Black are.

Blount is a 5-11 SG, who's supposed to be a great perimeter shooter, but is a defensive liability due to his size. Conley is a defense-first SG who never developed an outside shot until his senior year. They are very different players. We need another SG as I don't think Blount can handle the load there. Wouldn't be surprised to see Pearson there some in the future also.

Black is a defense first, look to pass, PG. Davis is a far more offensive minded PG. Again, pretty different players.

Starwood needs to make huge, and I mean huge strides, in the offseason. If there has been one disappointment so far this year it has been his play. The McCrea injury forced him into action sooner than we probably wanted, but he didn't exactly make the most out of it. Sure seems to be very talented so hopefully something clicks in the offseason.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Blount and Davis are nowhere near the same type of players Conley and Black are.

Blount is a 5-11 SG, who's supposed to be a great perimeter shooter, but is a defensive liability due to his size. Conley is a defense-first SG who never developed an outside shot until his senior year. They are very different players. We need another SG as I don't think Blount can handle the load there. Wouldn't be surprised to see Pearson there some in the future also.

Black is a defense first, look to pass, PG. Davis is a far more offensive minded PG. Again, pretty different players.

Starwood needs to make huge, and I mean huge strides, in the offseason. If there has been one disappointment so far this year it has been his play. The McCrea injury forced him into action sooner than we probably wanted, but he didn't exactly make the most out of it. Sure seems to be very talented so hopefully something clicks in the offseason.

I've kind of thought Pearson could shift to a primarily SG role depending on how other players develop and recruiting. I'm very high on him--he strikes me as being a good "student of the game" that could easily adapt to a SG from a F if needed.

I am certain Kaspar will be looking for an alternative plan for Starwood during the off season. He was thrust in, but I'm troubled that he didn't improve over the season. Certainly not expecting him to be all-conference, but we should have seen noticeable improvement over the season. McCrea was talking to him regularly on the bench, clearly giving advice and "player coaching." By the way, if you are ever looking for me at a game, I'm almost always behind our bench within a few rows--I like to listen to the coaches & players during the game.

I'm looking forward to a bit more offensive-minded PG with Davis. Black finally did pick up this season to the point I stopped kicking him around on here. I kind of like that it seems Kaspar is recruiting some offensive-minded players, as I think Kaspar has more success teaching an offensive person to play defense rather than vice-versa.

Based on what we've seen, I think you are going to have a far more interesting recruiting season with Kaspar this offseason. He has some success demonstrated now and he has a bunch of shiny pictures of the new facility under construction to wave around.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:57 pm
SuperCat

Eric Terry will be in the mix next year as well. He is a good inside scorer and has a decent jump shot from 15' in. He needs upper body strength to keep from getting pushed around. If Starwood doesn't improve he may be # 3 next year behind King and Terry. Btw, I too sit a couple rows behind our bench. I sit behind a really cool and knowledgable guy who always touches fists with OJ Black right before the game starts. :eatemup:

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

That's funny... we probably sit within 10 feet of each other but have probably never talked. :sign:

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:06 pm