Game Thread - Vs. South Alabama 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Game Thread - Vs. South Alabama
It's the final home game of the regular season tonight at 7pm in Strahan as Texas State plays host to the South Alabama Jaguars.

It's senior night and 4 seniors will be honored for their contributions to the program:
- Kavin Gilder-Tilbury will play his final game in Strahan after a 4-year career as a Bobcat. KGT was honored before Saturday's game vs. Troy for joining TXST's 1,000 point club this season. Tilbury has 443 points on the season. Only 16 Bobcats have ever cracked the 500 points mark in a single season. Tilbury's 1,255 career points makes him the 9th highest scoring Bobcat of all time.
- Ojai Black played 3 years at TXST. Kaspar submitted Black's name to the Sun Belt office for the Sun Belt defensive player of the year award. Black has 466 points in his career and registered 249 assists to 110 turnovers in his career.
- Bobby Conley played 2 seasons with the Bobcats. He's had a propensity to make big shots in his career, including the game winning 3 to upset Georgia State in the 2016 Sun Belt tournament. He made huge strides from his Jr to Sr seasons and is averaging 8.7 PPG this year after just 2.8 per game in his first year at TXST. He's also upped his 3-point shooting 5.3% from last year to this year.
- Maljhum McCrea will also be honored despite suffering a season-ending medical condition earlier in the season. The injury was unfortunate as McCrea finally broke into the starting lineup for TXST to start the season. He was averaging 5.6 PPG and 3.6 RPG prior to his injury.

The Bobcats are still fighting for a top 4 seed as they currently sit in 5th, 1 game behind 4th place Arkansas State. Tonight's game is close to a must win if the Bobcats want to sneak into the top 4 and earn a first round bye in a few weeks in New Orleans.

USA sits in 9th in the league with a 6-9 Sun Belt record. Sr PG Ken Williams is the Jaguar's most dangerous offensive threat. Williams averages 13.3 PPG and easily takes the most shots of anyone on the team (125 more FG attempts than the 2nd highest on the roster). Williams takes a lot of 3s but only shoots 25.6% from there. He has the ability to penetrate and leads the team in FT attempts as well (where he shoots 82.9%). Ojai Black will defend Williams. Williams had 16 in the first meeting between the teams. Freshman forward Josh Ajayi has emerged as the 2nd leading scorer on the team as he averages 11 PPG and 5.9 RPG. Another player to watch is Shaq Calhoun. Despite only being the 6th leading scorer on the roster, Calhoun torched the Bobcats for 26 points last month. The Jr guard hit 6 3s to pace the Jaguars to a win over the Bobcats in Mobile.

That game in January went to OT with the Jags puling it out. Texas State led by 5 at halftime and for much of the 2nd half but were unable to close it out in one of the more disappointing losses of the season.

Tip-off is at 7pm tonight in Strahan. Bobcats are currently favored by 4 points.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. South Alabama
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Any word on if McCrea would be eligible for a M-RS? Can't remember how early in the season the injury occurred (if it was outside the 20% threshold). We haven't used many appeals over the years on it, so it might be worth a look.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Definitely over 20%. He played in every non-conference game I believe. It was right around New Years when he went out.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Current Standings:
Texas Arlington 12-3
Georgia Southern 11-5 (currently owns tiebreak over GSU, though they play again Saturday)
Georgia State 11-5
Arkansas State 10-5
Texas State 9-6
Coastal Carolina 9-7
Troy 8-7
UL-Lafayette 7-8
South Alabama 6-9
Little Rock 4-11
Appalachian State 3-13
UL-Monroe 2-13

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Today's games with current odds:

UL-Lafayette (-3.5) @
Appalachian State
6pm - ESPN3

UL-Monroe @
Coastal Carolina (-5.5)
6pm

South Alabama @
Texas State (-4)
7pm

Georgia State @
Arkansas State (-1)
7pm - ESPN3

Troy @
Texas Arlington (-9.5)
7pm

Georgia Southern @
Little Rock (-3)
8pm

Some interesting games there in the race for a top 4 seed. GSU @ A-State is the biggest of the night. We probably want GSU to win that game as they are 1.5 games ahead of us as opposed to just 1 for A-state, but more importantly we hold the tiebreak with A-State but not with GSU.

Little Rock is a 3 point favorite against Georgia Southern. Let's go Trojans!

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Definitely over 20%. He played in every non-conference game I believe. It was right around New Years when he went out.

Yep. No medical for him. Played in 13 games. Really sucks for him--I feel bad for any student athlete that suffers a season-ending injury during his/her senior season.

Everybody needs to get their asses out for this final home game. This team made positive strides this year and I really like this group of seniors we are sending off.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
Everybody needs to get their asses out for this final home game. This team made positive strides this year and I really like this group of seniors we are sending off.

Agreed. Especially a guy like Tilbury who was committed to an SFA program that was winning big at the time to come help build TXST into something from nothing.

It really is a quality group of good guys that you can tell worked hard during their time here. I'm really hoping we can get a CBI or CIT bid (if we can't pull off winning the tourney of course) for these guys so they can go out with some fun.

Also, this is the final game with THE WALL!!! Barring a home game in one of the aforementioned tournaments.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:33 pm
Junior Bobcat

x wrote:
bleed gold wrote:

Also, this is the final game with THE WALL!!! Barring a home game in one of the aforementioned tournaments.

Does anyone know how/if next years home schedule will be affected by the construction? The FT % will plummet if the team has to deal with a steady breeze flowing through the coliseum. :mrgreen:

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

jj1180 wrote:
x wrote:
bleed gold wrote:

Does anyone know how/if next years home schedule will be affected by the construction? The FT % will plummet if the team has to deal with a steady breeze flowing through the coliseum. :mrgreen:

Actually I'm not sure it can get worse. Breeze or not....

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:41 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

jj1180 wrote:
x wrote:
bleed gold wrote:

My understanding of the schedule is that it'll be usable next season. I'm not sure completely done, but to a point it won't interfere with basketball or volleyball is my understanding.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:13 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

What a statement win. 90-64.

I don't think you could ask for a better senior night.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:01 pm
SuperCat

The last 30 seconds were something else.. Courtney Julien for 3 started off the bench hype. Back that up with 2 dunks from Deris Duncan and Nedja.. well. It results in a technical foul but who cares

Edit: oops, wasn't Julien for the 3. Not familiar with the bench :oops:

Last edited by Larry Teis on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:15 pm
SuperCat

Man you are right. The last 30 seconds were something else. That final dunk by Deris was awesome. The walk on Nathan Joseph got a 3 late as well. A very fun game to watch.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

That game was the most fun of the year I've attended.

Great finish. Glad the seniors got to go out having a good time.

USA may be piiiiised if we meet them in New Orleans but screw it man. Technical was worth it. Great game.

Let's go get a top 4 seed man! #whynotus

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Georgia southern lost to Little Rock.

We're only 1/2 game out of 3rd but still in 5th.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:27 am