Game Thread - @ Georgia Southern 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Game Thread - @ Georgia Southern
The Bobcats face maybe their toughest test of the season this weekend with a road trip to Georgia starting with Georgia Southern Saturday at 4:30pm in Hanner Fieldhouse.

The Eagles and Bobcats are separated by just 1/2 a game in the standings with the Eagles tied for 3rd at 9-4 and the Bobcats alone in 5th at 8-4.

I said last year that I expected Georgia Southern to be extremely dangerous by this year. If I had vote in the 2017-2018 Sun Belt poll right now I'd probably tab the Eagles to win the league next year. They have a trio of young guards that are extremely dangerous in Sophomores Ike Smith and Tookie Brown and Junior Mike Hughes. All returned after stellar seasons a year ago and all 3 are putting up big numbers this year. Smith is leading the way (somewhat surprisingly to me as I would've had Brown as the top scorer this year) averaging 19.6 PPG, 5.1 PPG, and shooting 40.8% from three. Brown is averaging 18.1 PPG and Hughes is contributing 11.5 PPG. The Bobcats backcourt of Ojai Black, Bobby Conley, and Nijal Pearson will have their hands full with Brown, Smith, and Hughes.

Georgia Southern is currently favored by 3. Game will be broadcast on ESPN3.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - @ Georgia Southern
Standings heading into today's games:
Texas Arlington 9-3
Arkansas State 10-4
Georgia State 9-4
Georgia Southern 9-4
Texas State 8-4
Coastal Carolina 8-5
Troy 6-6
South Alabama 5-7
UL-Lafayette 5-8
Little Rock 4-10
Appalachian State 3-10
UL-Monroe 1-12

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Today's games with current odds (and one final from last night):

Friday:
Little Rock 58
Arkansas State 67
(Arkansas State had 6,367 in attendance for this rivalry game. Would be nice if we could pull this off vs. UTA, or anyone for that matter)

Saturday:
Texas Arlington (-1.5) @
Georgia State
1:15 - ESPN3

UL-Lafayette (-3.5) @
UL-Monroe
2:00 - ESPN3

Texas State @
Georgia Southern (-3)
4:00 - ESPN3

Coastal Carolina @
Troy (-6.5)
4:15 - ESPN3

Appalachian State @
South Alabama (-3.5)
7:05

Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:36 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well 21 - 38 GA SO 1:20 1ST. Pick it up Cats. :eatemup:

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:46 pm
Junior Bobcat

Neither one of these teams is that great.

A few critiques. What is with our offense. I will admit, i have only seen a handful of game this year, but where is the motion? Everyone just stands around on offense. Under a minute to go and ya'll just standing around....MOVE!!

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:55 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Correct, we are not a "great" team, but we have grown increasingly competitive in conference play since Kaspar's arrival, and that's better than the dreck we've witnessed the past 10 years plus.

I know next to nothing about basketball, but I know enough to tell you that if you're waiting on us to win games that get into the 70's, pack a lunch. This is the formula, and it's got us to a position where we are at least competitive down the stretch.

Can we sustain it? Dunno. But we're trending correctly and Strahan renovation will help. I don't mind the negativity, mind you because hey, at least we are actually talking about Bobcat basketball.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:19 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

We have a post player...Starwood, that *really* needs some help with his footwork. The Bobcats lost this game because of the inability get the ball inside effectively and thus the team has to pass the ball on the perimeter. If Starwood were a little more effective in gaining position and more aggressive at the basket we would have a better inside-outside game. Suggestion to the coaches...get that guy into some dance or yoga classes...actually, both would be helpful. He's got the size but he doesn't have the moves. The footwork needs much improvement.

It's a real shame that Kilder-Tilbury's senior season is being muffled a little due to the lack of another offensive threat. Other teams know who our scorer is and clearly adjust their defense. The guys on our team defer the ball to KT too much. I actually saw a player pass the ball outside from the paint when he had a clear layup (alone without a defender on him)...to KT...who then took a bad shot because the defense was tight on him.

All that being said...we had a chance to win the game against GS late after being down 15+ earlier. There is reason for optimism because the guys didn't get rattled and continued to play their game. That is the result of effective coaching and players that have bought into the system.

Critiques notwithstanding, I like our team. They play with control and run their offense. They force the opponent to play at their tempo and are effective defenders and rebounders. They are clearly coached very well. I have optimism for the future and think that the team is on the verge of being very good. I suspect that our team will be a runaway champ of the Sunbelt next season...yep, that's a prediction. This season we'll probably get an NIT invite...and maybe win a game or two. That would be terrific since the best teams we've ever had only showed up as a 16 seed in the NCAA (twice, in the 90's) and got bounced immediately. I really like the development of the team overall.

This is the best Bobcat team we've ever had. My statement is less about the current squad and more about all those that preceded it. We've been terrible for decades. This team is a refreshing change.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:32 am
SuperCat

The first time the bobcats made the big dance they were a 14 seed and were within 5 points in the final 5 minutes. I like our team too but they are not as good as the team with Russell Ponds, Lynwood Wade, Hastings, etc.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:00 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

cgd469 wrote:
The first time the bobcats made the big dance they were a 14 seed and were within 5 points in the final 5 minutes. I like our team too but they are not as good as the team with Russell Ponds, Lynwood Wade, Hastings, etc.

I stand corrected.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:06 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Remember, when I post in this forum, I am 100% clueless to anything regarding basketball short of 5 players on the court, and the big orange ball goes in the round thing on each end of the court.

I see folks talking about the last time we made the dance... Is that to infer we stand a decent to realistic shot at making the tournament this year?

Like a 50/50 kinda chance?

And someone said waiting on the team to get into the 70's... My assumption means that's ranking (either rpi or just general rankings)... Is that correct?

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:50 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I meant score. Seems like a score in the 50's or 60's for our opponent means we are likely playing "our kind of game", but I think we lose games when our opponents are scoring 70's/80's. Again, not really a basketball guy, so there may not be anything behind that.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:18 pm
SuperCat

Hey Rev,

The only way we make the big dance is to win the conference championship. IMO the only way we do that is to finish in the top 4 in conference so we get a first round bye. Otherwise we have to win 4 games in 4 days I believe and we don't have the depth to do that.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

ATX Bobcat wrote:
Neither one of these teams is that great.

I think Southern is pretty good. In fact they're my early pick to win the SB in 2017-2018. Their backcourt is really really talented. They're a big guy away from being very good. They have a weak frontcourt which is why they aren't "great".

TXST wrote:
We have a post player...Starwood, that *really* needs some help with his footwork. The Bobcats lost this game because of the inability get the ball inside effectively and thus the team has to pass the ball on the perimeter. If Starwood were a little more effective in gaining position and more aggressive at the basket we would have a better inside-outside game. Suggestion to the coaches...get that guy into some dance or yoga classes...actually, both would be helpful. He's got the size but he doesn't have the moves. The footwork needs much improvement.

Starwood is having a rough freshman season. I don't think Kaspar had any intentions on playing him this much, but the season-ending injury to McCrea forced him into action. Hopefully there's a big jump from his freshman year to his sophomore year. He appears to have the size and talent, but he just looks lost out there most of the time.

TXST wrote:
It's a real shame that Kilder-Tilbury's senior season is being muffled a little due to the lack of another offensive threat. Other teams know who our scorer is and clearly adjust their defense. The guys on our team defer the ball to KT too much. I actually saw a player pass the ball outside from the paint when he had a clear layup (alone without a defender on him)...to KT...who then took a bad shot because the defense was tight on him.

Pearson is a legitimate 2nd scoring threat. We could use a 3rd (every 4-5 games it seems Conley or Black will have an offensive explosion) but we definitely have a legitimate 2nd option.

TheRevSWT wrote:
I see folks talking about the last time we made the dance... Is that to infer we stand a decent to realistic shot at making the tournament this year?

Like a 50/50 kinda chance?

I'd say we have about a 5-8% chance. Doesn't sound good, but it's the best chance we've had at this point in the season in the 12 seasons I've been following Bobcat Basketball.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:23 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saturday Scores:

Texas Arlington 68
Georgia State 67

UL-Lafayette 85
UL-Monroe 84

Texas State 67
Georgia Southern 70

Coastal Carolina 78
Troy 87