Game Thread - Vs. Arkansas State 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. Arkansas State
The troubling thing to me though is attendance seemed much better the past 2 seasons, with worse teams. Again, if I get some time this week I may look at our average attendance this year vs. last year, but I suspect it was better last year and probably by a few hundred.

It's hard to explain the YOY drop considering how much better the team is performing thus far YOY.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:23 pm
Junior Bobcat

For me at least it is because of it being on a monday and being 7:00 instead of 7:30. It takes at least an hour for me to get to the game assuming traffic is not bad. Also, in years past I took my niece and two nephews but because of how late they would get home and it being the beginning of the week they don't get to go. We go to all saturday games and I've gone to roughly half of the monday games without the kids.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah I get all the reasons an alum or fan that doesn't live in San Marcos can't make a Monday game. The place should be packed with a few thousand students though.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:20 pm
Junior Bobcat

Guess there is always bribery. :sombrero:

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Yeah I get all the reasons an alum or fan that doesn't live in San Marcos can't make a Monday game. The place should be packed with a few thousand students though.

I dunno about that... This team has been bad for so long that most have just... ignored it.

I get that they want the support given the solid season they are having... But this is the first time in a long time we weren't the gimme game for everyone.

It will take another season to get people to remember that winning basketball is fun to watch.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Let me say this for the 3rd time...

Attendance has regressed this year.

Last year, and the season before that, we've had a pretty decent turnout from the students on most non-holiday break weekday games.

You can't cite historical shittiness as the culprit when attendance was better when we were shittier.

I went and looked up the attendance for the weekday home game last year that fell closest to last night's game this year. We had 1,953 people at last night's game to see a 14-9 TXST team play a 18-7 Arkansas State team. On February 11th last year we had 2,375 people attend to see a 10-12 TXST team play a 6-18 App State team. Attendance was 18% worse this year to see two significantly better teams than at the same exact time last year. Why?

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I could see the spike being the new coach... The whole "this is the coach to turn us around" thing.

2 years of losing after that... Bam, people give up.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
The troubling thing to me though is attendance seemed much better the past 2 seasons, with worse teams. Again, if I get some time this week I may look at our average attendance this year vs. last year, but I suspect it was better last year and probably by a few hundred.

It's hard to explain the YOY drop considering how much better the team is performing thus far YOY.

Football apathy is spilling over to all sports.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat.taxman wrote:

Somebody frame this moment of agreement... I think football apathy spilling over is a legitimate contributor. At a minimum, it is at least a variable that shows logical correlation.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:

Somebody frame this moment of agreement... I think football apathy spilling over is a legitimate contributor. At a minimum, it is at least a variable that shows logical correlation.

Ubering students does pay off in terms of gauging the heartbeat of Bobcat support. 8) 8) 8)

Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Before I even read BG's response I thought to myself "hey taxman may have a point here for once...".

Football apathy likely is affecting all sports.

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Before I even read BG's response I thought to myself "hey taxman may have a point here for once...".

Football apathy likely is affecting all sports.

Before the Arkansas State game, I talked to a Fraternity guy who thought our basketball team was doing horrible. When I asked him why he believed that, he said "well, our football team was 2-10. I thought most our sports were just as bad." When I told him we were one game out from 1st place, he said he would get some of his brothers to go to the game that Monday. Sure enough, he and about 20 other of their members were there.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:24 am
True Bobcat Fan

Also, Taxman's reasoning is far more reasonable than Rev's sorry excuse for reasoning earlier in this thread.

It may be about 7,486 points for Rev and 1 for Taxman now, but he's finally on the board!

Congrats Taxman.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:32 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Also, Taxman's reasoning is far more reasonable than Rev's sorry excuse for reasoning earlier in this thread.

It may be about 7,486 points for Rev and 1 for Taxman now, but he's finally on the board!

Congrats Taxman.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you, this means so much to me. I'd like to thank everyone who lost. 8) 8) :sign:

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

:D :D :D

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:35 pm