Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington 
Author Message
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:41 am
Posts: 5624
Location: New Braunfels
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
bleed gold wrote:
There isn't a player in the 'Belt that rises to first round status.


I'm assuming you're just referring to 2017 only, in which case I agree.

There have been a couple first round picks in the Sun Belt since we joined the league though. Elfrid Payton was a top 10 pick out of ULL in 2014 and RJ Hunter went in the first round out of GSU in 2015 also.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:30 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 625
Location: Fran's Cupboard
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
And Shawn Long was thought of as a possible 2nd rounder last year. Didn't happen but he did get a non guaranteed rookie free agent deal that didn't pan out.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:35 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:41 am
Posts: 5624
Location: New Braunfels
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
Story of this game is our lack of talent in the frontcourt in my opinion.

Our lack of offensive production in the frontcourt is obvious in pretty much every game you watch, but we've really been dominated defensively down there the last couple games also. Bilbao went off on us for UTA, despite only being their 4th or 5th best option offensively. Also Griffin Kinney for App had a big game vs. us last Monday.

I think the McCrea injury has been pretty significant for us. McCrea wasn't exactly full of talent, but he was a senior with experience who played hard. King is holding his own, but I just don't think Starwood is ready to play yet. With McCrea being out we're forced to play him, but he just doesn't look like he's adjusted to the college game yet. I fully expect teams to work the ball into the post against us for the rest of the season. It's a glaring weak spot for us.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:36 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:41 am
Posts: 5624
Location: New Braunfels
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
Scores from Saturday:
UL-Lafayette 82
Georgia State 85

UL-Monroe 62
Georgia Southern 85

Texas State 61
Texas Arlington 76

South Alabama 76
Troy 71

Coastal Carolina 82
Little Rock 75

Appalachian State 78
Arkansas State 79

Updated Standings through Saturday:
Arkansas State 8-2
Georgia State 8-2
Georgia Southern 8-2
Texas Arlington 7-3
Texas State 6-4
Coastal Carolina 6-4
UL-Lafayette 4-6
Troy 4-6
South Alabama 4-6
Little Rock 3-7
UL-Monroe 1-9
Appalachian State 1-9

4 games tonight:
UL-Lafayette @
Georgia Southern (-1.5)

UL-Monroe @
Georgia State (-10.5)

Coastal Carolina @
Arkansas State (-9.5)

Appalachian State @
Little Rock (-6)


Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:41 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:45 pm
Posts: 4919
Location: at the neighboring pub...
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
x wrote:
bleed gold wrote:
There isn't a player in the 'Belt that rises to first round status.


I'm assuming you're just referring to 2017 only, in which case I agree.

There have been a couple first round picks in the Sun Belt since we joined the league though. Elfrid Payton was a top 10 pick out of ULL in 2014 and RJ Hunter went in the first round out of GSU in 2015 also.


That is correct. Nobody in the 2017 and I'm skeptical about 2018 even though my skepticism is premature.

_________________
I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:54 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:41 am
Posts: 5624
Location: New Braunfels
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
If Hervey finishes this year strongly, then comes back next year and has a stellar season he could go 1st round. Lot of ifs there though.

Remember, he tore his ACL just a little over a year ago also. He's stayed healthy this year, but I wonder if he may purposefully be taking some plays off to preserve his health.

He's a freak talent, but I agree that based on what we've seen this year he isn't a first round pick and probably isn't a 2nd round pick at this point either quite honestly.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:17 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 625
Location: Fran's Cupboard
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
x wrote:
He's a freak talent, but I agree that based on what we've seen this year he isn't a first round pick and probably isn't a 2nd round pick at this point either quite honestly.


Trust me...he wouldn't go in the 2nd round if he declared. Someone would probably give him a look in the Summer League, but I'm not sure how much burn he would get there. I wouldn't think it would be enough burn to even get him a camp invite from anyone.

Neither Draftexpress nor NBADraft.net have any scouting information on Hervey which is bad news if you are a junior in the NCAA. Draftexpress, in particular, is used by many NBA scouting departments as supplemental material and they have a history of being pretty dead on with high school, college, and European players.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:20 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:41 am
Posts: 5624
Location: New Braunfels
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
Fran's Last Twinky wrote:
Neither Draftexpress nor NBADraft.net have any scouting information on Hervey which is bad news if you are a junior in the NCAA. Draftexpress, in particular, is used by many NBA scouting departments as supplemental material and they have a history of being pretty dead on with high school, college, and European players.


Quick look at draftexpress shows they have Hervey listed as the 38th best college Junior in the country. That's not good enough to put him in the top 100 though when you consider every prospect in the world.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:47 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:45 pm
Posts: 4919
Location: at the neighboring pub...
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
I think his draft status will improve. I think part of why he is so low as a junior is a result of his ACL injury that stole his season last year, limiting his exposure. I hadn't thought about it, but x makes a good point that he may be strategically trying to maintain his health. If that is the case, I'm less inclined to throw shade his direction. He's gonna need to step up substantially though if he wants to get on the high-round radar.

_________________
I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:56 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 625
Location: Fran's Cupboard
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
x wrote:
Fran's Last Twinky wrote:
Neither Draftexpress nor NBADraft.net have any scouting information on Hervey which is bad news if you are a junior in the NCAA. Draftexpress, in particular, is used by many NBA scouting departments as supplemental material and they have a history of being pretty dead on with high school, college, and European players.


Quick look at draftexpress shows they have Hervey listed as the 38th best college Junior in the country. That's not good enough to put him in the top 100 though when you consider every prospect in the world.


Exactly. And notice that they don't even have a scouting report on him. That's is bad news for Mr. Hervey.

Sorry I didn't clarify. He does have a page on each site, but no scouting report on either is not good at all...ESPECIALLY as a junior.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:17 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 6642
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
x wrote:
If Hervey finishes this year strongly, then comes back next year and has a stellar season he could go 1st round. Lot of ifs there though.

Remember, he tore his ACL just a little over a year ago also. He's stayed healthy this year, but I wonder if he may purposefully be taking some plays off to preserve his health.

He's a freak talent, but I agree that based on what we've seen this year he isn't a first round pick and probably isn't a 2nd round pick at this point either quite honestly.



Didn't think about that, probably on to something there. It baffled me that he dropped 25 on us when we played at home and seemed to be only playing 30-40% of the time. At this point, I agree he wouldn't even be a 2nd rounder. Next year, the sky would be the limit for him.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:50 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 6642
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
Larry Teis wrote:
Hervey styled on us sure, but the gates really got opened because of that giant Bilbao




Yep, he stepped up big time.


Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:51 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 6642
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
bleed gold wrote:
I think his draft status will improve. I think part of why he is so low as a junior is a result of his ACL injury that stole his season last year, limiting his exposure. I hadn't thought about it, but x makes a good point that he may be strategically trying to maintain his health. If that is the case, I'm less inclined to throw shade his direction. He's gonna need to step up substantially though if he wants to get on the high-round radar.




Agreed. :sign:


Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:52 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:41 am
Posts: 5624
Location: New Braunfels
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
Scores last night:
UL-Lafayette 70
Georgia Southern 74

UL-Monroe 55
Georgia State 69

Coastal Carolina 57
Arkansas State 67

Appalachian State 62
Little Rock 69

Top teams all win to continue the 3-way logjam for first:
Arkansas State 9-2
Georgia State 9-2
Georgia Southern 9-2
Texas Arlington 7-3
Texas State 6-4
Coastal Carolina 6-5
Troy 4-6
South Alabama 4-6
UL-Lafayette 4-7
Little Rock 4-7
UL-Monroe 1-10
Appalachian State 1-10

We host Little Rock and Arkansas State next Saturday and Monday. Then hit the road to face the Georgia schools the week after. Really really tough stretch.


Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:59 pm
Profile
Junior Bobcat
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:06 am
Posts: 70
Reply with quote
Post Re: Game Thread - @ Texas Arlington
Anyone notice Prijovic hangin out around the perimeter a lot? Seemed weird that he wasn't down in the paint looking for a pass. It didn't look like he was our "big man" but is still 6'8"...

_________________
Phi Delta Theta


Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:11 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All Rights Reserved, BobcatFans LLC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group