A month ago.... 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: A month ago....
can't expect a guy who works in a bank and calls himself the taxman to understand how numbers work though, can you?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:17 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
We went 3-2 down that stretch and barely lost to Georgia Southern 67-70......but hey, I'm a glutton for punishment here. :wink: 8) 8)

No we didn't.

Lost to UTA, GSU, and GS. Beat Little Rock and A-State. 2-3.

That's right, the original comment had the typo. I expected the Little Rock and A-State games to be the wins.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
can't expect a guy who works in a bank and calls himself the taxman to understand how numbers work though, can you?

You're sick.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

We actually control our own destiny since GSU and GAST have a head to head Saturday. Win out next 2 games and we're looking at a playoff bye in the first round on the conf tourney. Something as simple as that given the last few decades of men's hoops that seemed like a pipe dream for us. Too soon but things are looking up. If we beat ULL and ULM to finish season then win in the second round but lose in the 3rd round to go 20-12 I will consider that one hell of a season for Kaspar (all things considered, those things of course playing in a (well) below average conference and playing a lot of bottom of the entire NCAA barrel nonconf teams)

-Bill O'Brien

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:01 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobbumman wrote:
We actually control our own destiny since GSU and GAST have a head to head Saturday. Win out next 2 games and we're looking at a playoff bye in the first round on the conf tourney. Something as simple as that given the last few decades of men's hoops that seemed like a pipe dream for us. Too soon but things are looking up. If we beat ULL and ULM to finish season then win in the second round but lose in the 3rd round to go 20-12 I will consider that one hell of a season for Kaspar (all things considered, those things of course playing in a (well) below average conference and playing a lot of bottom of the entire NCAA barrel nonconf teams)

That is of course true, but he also played four Freshmen significantly this season.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:37 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobbumman wrote:
(all things considered, those things of course playing in a (well) below average conference and playing a lot of bottom of the entire NCAA barrel nonconf teams)

You hear this a lot around here. Just wondering what the threshold for "average" is.

The Sun Belt is 13th of 32 D1 conferences in conference RPI. Big step up from our old days in the Southland (which is 27th right now).

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:00 am
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
Just wondering what the threshold for "average" is

I would just think you would need more than just 2 teams to break the top 100 rpi to be considered average...didnt' realize UTA snuck into the top 40 though, that's certainly something we have going for our conference right now

with 32 conferences and over 350 teams competing at the d1 level in basketball it's obvious that a lot not all of those teams and conferences belong at the d1 level, some could be in d2... it's almost like combining fbs fcs and a small part of d2 all into one division for football...

definitely think we stepped it up quite a bit in conf play this year....we'll be the 7th rpi team in our conf and still hopefully pick up the #4 seed

-Bill O'Brien

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:25 am
True Bobcat Fan

Hopefully UTA loses in the Sun Belt tournament and gets an at-large bid. 2 NCAA bids would be good for the league.

Mid-30s RPI should do it, but if I'm a UTA fan I'd want to win the tournament to make sure. Especially considering how poorly mid-majors fared in receiving at-large bids a year ago.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:53 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Hopefully UTA loses in the Sun Belt tournament and gets an at-large bid. 2 NCAA bids would be good for the league.

Mid-30s RPI should do it, but if I'm a UTA fan I'd want to win the tournament to make sure. Especially considering how poorly mid-majors fared in receiving at-large bids a year ago.

Why did you have to throw that out there, now I'm plotting the mathematical chances that we get a first round bye and somehow pull off the SBC championship ourselves! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Thank God I'm a "glutton for punishment", saying our team would win 20 games when we only had 13 wins was going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy out on a limb.........(to be honest, it was a possibility the minute we barely lost to Hawaii and A&MCC, schedule was favorable).

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:

We haven't accomplished anything yet.

They accomplished something today.. :wink: :sign: :D

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
saying our team would win 20 games when we only had 13 wins was going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy out on a limb..........

you just can't help yourself. even when you come out ahead, you shoot yourself in the foot. that's not what you said, or when you said it.

you actually made the statement after 12 games, not 13 wins. (that's a plus point for you, by the way)
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
.....before the Appalachian State game, I was going to start a countdown/twitter tag to 20 wins this season for the MBB team. The team was 7-5 and could have easily been 9-3

and you said we had a fighting chance at 20, which was your typical way of using language to give you an out. you absolutely did not say we would win 20.
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
This was a huge win for us, if we hadn't dropped the games to Hawaii, A&MCC (both lost at the FT line for the most part) and Tulsa (poor perimeter shooting), this team would have easily reached the 20 win mark this year. This team could have easily been 9-3 at this point (the UTRGV would have been a loss regardless), but 7-5 gives us a fighting chance at that mark still.

never stop being you, taxman! :lol:

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

"Hopefully UTA loses in the Sun Belt tournament and gets an at-large bid. 2 NCAA bids would be good for the league."

I don't see it now. I wonder how low the Sunbelt champ will be. Imagine if the Sunbelt extends their streak of first round wins with us or Troy as a 15 seed.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

One projection has TXST in a play in game against New Orleans with the winner getting to play North Carolina

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:35 pm
SuperCat

That would be our best chance to win a game in the tournament at least. Wish we could be higher than a 16 seed though.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:24 pm