Game Thread - @ Appalachian State - ESPN3 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Game Thread - @ Appalachian State - ESPN3
After a huge road win at Coastal Carolina on Saturday, the Bobcats head to Boone and look for a road sweep of the Carolina schools as they play Appalachian State tonight at 6pm.

This will be the 2nd meeting of the season between these teams as the Bobcats topped the Mountaineers in San Marcos to open Sun Belt play back on December 31st. TXST won that game 67-58. Tilbury had 21 points to lead TXST in that game, Pearson had 11, and Black scored 10 as well. App was led by their leader Ronshad Shabazz in the loss. He scored 19.

The Mountaineers have struggled so far this season and sit at just 1-7 in Sun Belt games this year, good for 11th in the 12 team Sun Belt. They are coming off a 16 point home loss to UTA Saturday night and have lost 4 straight. They are 1-2 in league games at home with an upset win over Arkansas State back on January 9th.

Shabazz is easily the best player on App's team and if he has an on night they are extremely dangerous. He has the ability to take over games for them and is averaging 17.8 PPG and can score in a variety of ways. Luckily, they aren't a good team when he has a bad night as their supporting cast isn't particularly dangerous. I said after the last game vs. App that I think Shabazz vs. Pearson looks like it could be a fun matchup to watch for years to come with Shabazz a sophomore and Pearson just a freshman. Look for those guys to guard each other and go head to head tonight in Boone. If Pearson can defend Shabazz similarly to the way he shut down Ray-St Cyr for Coastal Saturday night the Bobcats should have a big opportunity for back to back road wins.

ESPN3 will be carrying the game which tips off at 6pm. Despite being just 1-7 in SBC games, App is a 2 point home favorite per Vegas. This is an important game for TXST to prove they are above the league's bottom tier. Also important to try and get a win tonight before heading to Arlington next Saturday vs. a UTA team that has won 4 straight and likely won't be happy with us for beating them earlier this month.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:54 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - @ Appalachian State - ESPN3
Current Standings:
Georgia Southern - 7-1
Texas Arlington - 6-2
Arkansas State - 6-2
Georgia State - 6-2
Texas State - 5-3
UL-Lafayette - 4-4
Coastal Carolina - 4-4
Little Rock - 3-5
Troy - 3-5
South Alabama - 3-5
Appalachian State - 1-7
UL-Monroe - 0-8

All teams in action tonight:
Texas State @
Appalachian State (-2)

Texas Arlington (-6) @
Coastal Carolina

Arkansas State @
UL-Lafayette (-4)

Little Rock (-2) @
UL-Monroe

Georgia Southern @
Troy (-4)

Georgia State (-3) @
South Alabama

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Two players suspended tonight for App.

Kelvin Robinson has 15 starts and is Apps 3rd leading scorer.
Patrick Good comes off the bench and is their 4th leading scorer and biggest 3 point threat.

Game just tipped off.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Timeout App.

13-4 Bobcats. We are 6/7 from the field so far.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

16-7. 11 minutes till halftime.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Another App timeout after a jumper from Black.

27-15 TXST with 6 minutes till halftime.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

37-29 TXST at halftime.

We can't let this one slip away.

Pearson leading the Bobcats with 9. App big man Griffin Kinney is the game's leading scorer with 12.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

44-36. 12 minutes left.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcats pouring it on. 57-41, 7 minutes left.

Pearson has 14 and Tilbury has 10.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

64-43 TXST at the final media timeout.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:36 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcats dominate from start to finish, leading the entire game, winning 68-55.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Pearson had 14, Tilbury had 13, and Black added 10.

Shabazz had 6 on 3/13 shooting for App. Pearson easily won the Shabazz vs. Pearson showdown tonight. I'll say it again. It'll be fun watching these two square off against each other as they get older and more experienced.

A few optimistic observations from someone who's painfully watched just about every TXST game since Kaspar took over:
I think this is a significant win for a number of reasons.
First, I think we have maybe finally distanced ourselves from the cellar in this conference. I can't tell how many tiers up we are just yet, hell it could be just 1, but it's nice not to be toiling around down there with those guys this year.
We've been a horrendous road team in conference play ever since joining this conference. I think it's significant we just went 2-0 on a tough 2-game road trip facing one pretty good team and one admittedly pretty bad team. We've never been able to string road wins together in the past.
6-3 in conference play is easily our best start ever to Sun Belt play. Halfway through conference play and we're in position to take a top 4 seed into the conference tournament and a first round bye. Pretty decent first half of the conference slate for a team picked in the preseason to finish last.
13-8 overall. I've been hesitant to bring it up, but we haven't had a winning season yet this century. Unless we completely shit the bed in these last 9 games we should finally do it.

That being said, the past 3 seasons we always seem to hit a lull around this point of the season where we go on a long losing streak that ruins the season. We absolutely cannot do that again this year. Hopefully Kaspar can keep these guys mentally prepared for the 2nd half of conference play. The 2nd half is considerably tougher than the first half as we play more teams from the top half of the conference and we spend more games on the road than at home from now on.

Speaking of, its on to UTA in Arlington on Saturday. The Mavs just got upset by Coastal in Conway a few minutes ago so our game Saturday will be a matchup between teams tied at 6-3 in the league. I still expect UTA to be heavily favored at home.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Scores today:
Texas State 68
App State 55

Texas Arlington 70
Coastal Carolina 72

Arkansas State 88
UL-Lafayette 69

Little Rock 52
UL-Monroe 68

Georgia Southern 76
Troy 83

Georgia State 83
South Alabama 80

Updated Standings:
Arkansas State 7-2
Georgia State 7-2
Georgia Southern 7-2
Texas Arlington 6-3
Texas State 6-3
Coastal Carolina 5-4
UL-Lafayette 4-5
Troy 4-5
Little Rock 3-5
South Alabama 3-6
UL-Monroe 1-8
Appalachian State 1-8

We're only a game out of first.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Btw, I know it doesn't get the fanfare football does, but I appreciate these analyses, x.

I've been following closely since Kasper arrived and I hope the days of completely missing threads are done. Thx.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:04 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

If you aren't getting excited about Pearson yet, you need to be. This kid is good and is the best freshman player we've seen in a Bobcat uniform in a very, very long time. His only real issue I've seen is turnovers, which is likely him still getting used to college speed & needing to mature a bit more.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:58 am