Game Thread - @ Appalachian State - ESPN3 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - @ Appalachian State - ESPN3
Thanks for all the write-ups, X. They're better than anything in the SMDR, U-Star, or TXST athletics websites. I'm not so sure that the KTSW guys haven't been using your write-ups to preview the games.

I've only been following TXST basketball closely for the past 5 years or so but one thing that every team in that time period lacked was a guard or small forward who could consistently drive the ball to the basket. Pearson definitely has that ability. He reminds me of a Sun Belt version of younger Dwayne Wade.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:14 am
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
Speaking of, its on to UTA in Arlington on Saturday. The Mavs just got upset by Coastal in Conway a few minutes ago so our game Saturday will be a matchup between teams tied at 6-3 in the league. I still expect UTA to be heavily favored at home.

This game will be on the Spectrum Sports channel.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:43 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
If you aren't getting excited about Pearson yet, you need to be. This kid is good and is the best freshman player we've seen in a Bobcat uniform in a very, very long time. His only real issue I've seen is turnovers, which is likely him still getting used to college speed & needing to mature a bit more.

His defense is a work in progress also, as most FR are.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:35 am
True Bobcat Fan

Fran's Last Twinky wrote:
x wrote:
Speaking of, its on to UTA in Arlington on Saturday. The Mavs just got upset by Coastal in Conway a few minutes ago so our game Saturday will be a matchup between teams tied at 6-3 in the league. I still expect UTA to be heavily favored at home.

This game will be on the Spectrum Sports channel.

That is great news. Watched last night, the team has really started to come together. Looks like a great future with all the freshmen playing.

Alumni Assn. Charter Life Member #186
Bobcat Club Member Since Forever

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Pearson has to be the frontrunner for Sun Belt freshman of the year right now.

Leading scoring freshman in the league and 2nd leading rebounding freshman in the league (and only 0.2 rpg behind the leader).

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:22 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Pearson has to be the frontrunner for Sun Belt freshman of the year right now.

Leading scoring freshman in the league and 2nd leading rebounding freshman in the league (and only 0.2 rpg behind the leader).

Barring anything unforseen, agreed. ||:-||

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:13 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

MBA2000 wrote:
Looks like a great future with all the freshmen playing.

Are we playing a lot of fr/so? Behind Pearson I thought we were pretty old?

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Player | Position| Class | Points | Minutes

Pearson | G | Fr | 279 | 677
Gilder-Tilbury | F | Sr | 339 | 672
Conley | G | Sr | 200 | 618
Black | G | Sr | 149 | 577
King | F | Jr | 73 | 432
Prijovic | F | Fr | 59 | 292
Davis | G | Fr | 64 | 260
McCrea | F | Sr | 73 | 219
Blount | G | Jr | 71 | 196
Starwood | F | Fr | 43 | 145
Duncan | G | Jr | 12 | 68
Julien | G | So | 10 | 62
Josephs | G | So | 15 | 32

Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Starting 5 right now is 3 seniors, 1 junior, and 1 freshman.

Losing 3 senior starters (Black, Conley, Tilbury) may be a bit tough but I really like what we have returning behind most of those guys.

I think Marlin Davis is going to be a really good PG and should take over for Black pretty seamlessly after this season. SG is a bit of a concern. I've been impressed with Conley's progression from last year to this year so losing him may be a bit tough. I think Blount is probably a great shooter, but he's a huge defensive liability at his height playing SG instead of PG. He will struggle to guard anyone 6-2 or taller. Courtney Julien is only a sophomore but frankly hasn't shown much in his 1.5 years here. Obviously losing your best player can be tough and our best player (Tilbury) is a senior this year. Prijovic will likely slide into his spot next year, but a sophomore Prijovich likely won't be near as dangerous as a senior Tilbury.

We are playing 4 freshman a lot of minutes (Pearson, Prijovic, Davis, and Starwood) and all 4 of those guys will be asked to be heavy contributors next year. Them having to play so much this year is a positive for next year.

We'll need to fill some gaps with recruiting for sure.
- Center is still our weakest position and I think we need at least one big man to bring in for next year. We'll have King, Starwood, and Eric Terry (redshirt this year) at center next year but I think if you can upgrade talent and/or find some legitimate size you pull the trigger anyway despite returning three guys at the position. It's apparent watching us play that King/Starwood are usually the most outmatched on the court at any given time (Griffin Kinney for App had an easy double-double last night and was scoring at ease on them at times).
- Need a scholarship PG to back up Davis. Unless Josephs can really step it up, but I think he'll be a career walk-on barring some huge progression soon in his game.
- Need another SG to add depth with Blount/Julien. Again, Blount can probably be that 3-point weapon we need but I don't think he's going to be a 30 minute a game guy at just 5-11 and Julien just hasn't shown yet that he can play consistently at this level.
- Our biggest lack of depth this year is at the 3. Pearson has that position locked down but he's really kind of a 2/3 swingman that may be playing a bit out of position right now out of necessity. Deris Duncan was his primary backup early but has seen his playing time diminish since starting conference play. We are more likely to slide Tilbury to the 3 and have Prijovic play the 4 than play Duncan anymore. Wouldn't be surprised to see us try and snag another guy that can play the 3 next year.
- Prijovic should have the 4 locked down but no depth behind him other than playing Starwood there. I'll be interested to see how we use Starwood as he gets older. He seems like he has the skill to play the 4 or the 5 if he can get his head straight. Hopefully that comes with maturity.

I started typing and before I knew it I wrote that we need to recruit every position on the court. We should have 4 spots to fill if no scholarship underclassmen leave (big if). I'll be interested to see how we fill them.

Hard to follow basketball recruiting at this level without some serious ties which I don't have. Per 247 we have offered a 4-star SG who is committed to UT, an uncommitted 3-star PG, and a 3-star small forward who is committed to UH.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:11 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

There's a juco PG from California that signed in the Fall. Tre Nottingham. He's listed at 6-1 and is pretty much averaging 20-6-5. No idea the competition level they play out there. Hopefully he's an impact guy as the current sophomore class is really lacking.
http://cccaasports.org/sports/mbkb/2016-17/players/trenottingham4eku

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Yep. I even posted a thread when he signed and forgot all about it.

We should be set at PG with Davis/Nottingham and Josephs if he sticks around. Nottingham averaging 19.4 PPG this year at JUCO.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:04 pm
Junior Bobcat

X - I have a question about our offense, which seems disjointed at times. I watched Kaspar teams at SFA and now here that win with defense and doing just enough on offense. There always seems to be a lack of inside/outside game with a big man. We seem to screen and pass the ball around the point without really working it in for a high percentage shot. Is our offense just not made for that or is it a consistent lack of a center? We had a couple of big guys last year but the offense seemed to be the same.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

This year it's a consistent lack of a center. The 5 is easily our weakest position on the court and it shows in how Kaspar is running the offense this year and just with a quick look at the statistics.

That being said, the offense we are running this year is pretty different from what we did last year. While we did run a 4-out 1-in offense a lot last year that may have looked guard-oriented, the offense usually ran through Gant at the 5. When he was single-teamed we almost always tried to get the ball into the frontcourt for easier looks. Gant saw a lot of double-teams, particularly late in the year, which forced the guards to have to do more. But we did run our offense through the 5 a lot last year.

This year we are running a far less post-oriented motion offense. One of the things I like about Kaspar is he will change his philosophy slightly from season to season based on personnel (one of the things we always ragged on Fran for apparently being incapable of). Without Gant at the 5, and especially with McCrea's injury, our strengths offensively are at guard and stretch-forwards. Kaspar is just playing to this year's strengths which means a move away from a post-oriented offense.

One thing that always makes a Kaspar offense look a bit disjointed is our pace of play. We consciously slow the game down and we don't push unless we have a great chance of transition points. It's rare to ever see us push unless its off a turnover. Also we struggled some with being pressed early in the season and teams seem to have noticed. We seem to get pressed more often than your usual team which means we usually don't begin to run our offense until there's only 15ish seconds left on the shot clock. Kaspar ensures they run the offense until they get a good look. Against solid defensive teams that can defend well in the halfcourt for 15-20 seconds at a time we are often running the shot clock down near 0 which rarely results in a high percentage shot. I'd like to see us make an effort to begin running our offense in the halfcourt with more time left on the shot clock as it increases our odds of finding a quality shot. Of course, you can't get sloppy and turn the ball over in order to do that.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:27 pm