Game Thread - Vs. Louisiana-Monroe 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Game Thread - Vs. Louisiana-Monroe
After dropping a game at home to Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday, the Bobcats take on the other Louisiana school in the conference when Louisiana-Monroe visits Strahan Coliseum Monday night at 7pm.

The Warhawks played, and lost, at UT-Arlington on Saturday 71-55. ULM is still looking for their first conference win as they are 0-6 in the Sun Belt and 6-13 overall. They have lost to Georgia State and Georgia Southern at home and have lost on the road to Little Rock, Arkansas State, ULL, and UTA.

The Warhawks were expected to have a drop-off this season after finishing 2nd in the league last year at 15-5 in Sun Belt games. The drop-off has been more significant than expected however and the loss of last year's star, Majok Deng, has been significant. This year's ULM team is a shell of last years team. ULM is also just 1-8 in true road games this season.

Sophomore forward Travis Munnings has emerged as this year's leader offensively after a solid freshman campaign last year. Munnings is leading the warhawks in scoring at 12.4 PPG. He also leads ULM on the boards averaging 8.7 RPG. Munnings is a threat from outside also and shoots 32.9% from 3. The only other player averaging double digit scoring is junior guard and newcomer Sam McDaniel. McDaniel averages 11.9 PPG and is also 2nd on the team in rebounding at 6.9 RPG. At 6-6 he has a lot of size for a guard. ULM also returns their floor general PG, Nick Coppola. Coppola's scoring is down a bit from last year as he's averaging 9.3 PPG, but he's a big 3-point threat and is averaging 4.4 assists per game to 1.7 turnovers per game. Expect Tilbury, Pearson, and Black to defend Munnings, McDaniel, and Coppola respectively.

ULM has won 4 straight meetings in the series and TXST hasn't beaten the Warhawks since 2014. TXST is currently favored by 6.5 points.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. Louisiana-Monroe
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

This game, much like Coastal Carolina and UTRGV, has trap game written all over it again.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Maybe. I'm hoping Saturday's loss has us ready to go today.

I didn't see any of the ULL game, but from everyone's comments it wasn't pretty. Hopefully we come out ready to play today. You never know which team will come out of the tunnel this year. The one that looked great beating UTA, or the one we saw against utsa/ut-rgv/etc.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:20 pm
SuperCat

After sleepwalking through the first half the cats woke up in time to win 63-57. Kasper was really on them in the first half more so than I've seen before. Thank goodness they won.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Tilbury and Pearson both had big games. Tilbury had a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Pearson led us in scoring with 18 and had 8 rebounds also.

ULM has no depth. You just have to wear them down to beat them. They only played 7 guys and both their PG and SG played the entire game without a break.

Heard some bad news that McCrea is likely done for the year due to blood clots. That's a pretty big blow to our depth at our weakest position. Immanuel King has taken over there as the starter with Maxwell Starwood backing him up. Prijovic has been playing down there some also when needed (played quite a bit there last night as Starwood was not playing well). We also have Eric Terry on the roster who appears to be redshirting. I think if we were going to burn that redshirt we would have by now, but that's a possibility as well. Particularly if there is an injury to King or Starwood.

The injury to McCrea will also likely open up more playing time for Deris Duncan at the small forward position backing up Pearson. When McCrea was healthy it was common for Tilbury to slide to the 3 with Prijovic at the 4. With the lack of depth at the 5 now and the chance we need Prijovic as a 3rd option down there, Kaspar will likely be more hesitant to have Tilbury, Prijovic, and King/Starwood all on the court at the same time due to depth. Expect Duncan to see more playing time going forward when Pearson needs a rest.

On to some good news, I was able to enjoy a few beers during the game last night as we are selling beer now at Strahan also. Beer is available at all 3 of the big 3 sport venues on campus now and that makes me a happy man.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The AD makes more off of me in beer sales than tickets and donation combined.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Standings through last night's games:

Georgia Southern 7-0
Texas Arlington 5-2
Arkansas State 5-2
Georgia State 5-2
Texas State 4-3
Coastal Carolina 4-3
UL-Lafayette 3-4
Little Rock 3-4
Troy 3-4
South Alabama 2-5
App State 1-6
UL Monroe 0-7

Pretty tight race with 2nd through 9th all separated by just 2 games right now. Georgia Southern undefeated still is pretty surprising, though I'm not surprised they're playing well. If you look back at how I spoke about them last season you will see nothing but positive comments about their freshman and how bright their future is. Their trio of guards with Ike Smith, Tookie Brown, and Mike Hughes is pretty nasty. And they are 2 sophomores and a junior.

Everyone in the league is off until Saturday. We have the Carolina road trip this weekend going to Coastal on Saturday and then App on Monday next week.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:

I'm sure I spent more on beer during baseball season last year than my two season tickets cost. I'd like to think I'm single-handedly making beer sales worth it to the department.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:05 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LT Spider wrote:

Well, we've found our cash cow! :D :sign:

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:37 am