4:30 today in strahan.

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
HALFTIME: Cajuns lead 37-28, Cats shooting a humongous 0% at the charity stripe

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Nothing good to say about that one. Offense was completely unable to create quality shots and transition D was bad. They kept playing hard until the end so I stuck around, I will give them that.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:36 pm
SuperCat

Yep, it was frustrating. They had 3 players who shot the ball really well. Even when we did play good defense they were able to make the shot when they needed it. I wish Marlin could get more minutes. Black just can't shoot the ball. Hopefully they bounce back against Monroe.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I made it to both games. Folks, the WBB team was absolutely outstanding and held Louisiana to 30 points below their average.

The MBB team had an absolute abortion of a first half except for KGT. It doesn't even show that much in the stat line, but the offense was disjointed and felt neurotic like it has in the past. We found our offense in the 2nd half, but that doesn't matter when your defense doesn't slow your opponent down at all. One thing I'm going to start paying more attention to is our total shots taken. I'm going to take a look back at some past games, but we took A TON more shots than Louisiana. I suspect it goes to my big offensive complaint--lack of penetration & not taking high percentage shots. Also, it can't be a MBB comment from me without commenting on Black... Black was basically lighting his farts again as a shooter, but had 7 assists.

Defensively we never sorted Louisiana out. And for some reason we are allergic to defending outside shots & the arc. We literally never slowed them down--they smoked us in transition I think at least 5-6 times that resulted in points. Some of this was Louisiana shooting lights out, but A LOT of it was our inability to defend aggressively. It felt like we were a half step slow on defense the whole game. Louisiana also made us a little bitch on the boards in the second half. Our 2nd half failure on the boards led to them getting second chance points and us blowing opportunities. We might've overcome that 1st half and the terrible transition defense had we found the boards in the 2nd half--or at least made it interesting.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Went to this game. The issues with men's hoops are the same as football. Lack of size and ball skills. We need at least 1 guard who's a little bit more physical and has more size than the ones we've got. UL's guards absolutely dominated ours physically in the lane. It's the same story in the frontcourt too. Kaspar got absolutely pissed that Black wouldn't shoot the ball when open in the closing minutes of the game.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I would honestly take a penetrating guard more than a big, physical one. Of course, if he gets to the line he has to be able to make free throws and if he kicks it out we have to have somebody that can make the three.

I have given up on defending the perimeter with our style of D. Its just not going to happen. To be effective, we have to limit the other team to one shot possessions and be more efficient on offense. We set screens and pass the ball around at the top of the key for 30 seconds then put up a shot from distance with a bad shooter. When we did manage to work the ball inside our shot got blocked half of the time. I know its very obvious, but its a talent issue. We need a penetrating guard, somebody that can shoot the ball from range, and a big man that can tie up defenders so they don't sit there and wait for shots to swat. So, you know, basically we need a whole new team.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:03 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Bleed Gold, we shot 70 total shots. They were just not going in for whatever odd reason.

I think the two game road trip and a five game layoff completely deflated this team in terms of being game ready.

This game was as simple as it gets. They just shot well and we didn't. Guard size, defense, rebounding.....none of that matters. This was just one of those games.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:34 am
True Bobcat Fan

They didn't go in because they were poor shots heaved up with time on the clock expiring. We can shoot 200 times a game and not win if we cant produce quality shots.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:
They didn't go in because they were poor shots heaved up with time on the clock expiring. We can shoot 200 times a game and not win if we cant produce quality shots.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:19 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LT Spider wrote:

I'm well aware that we took 70 shots. That's what I'm getting at. Our shots followed 1 of 2 philosophies throughout the game: race down and throw up a shot, or pretend like we're running an offensive set for 30 seconds & whoever has the ball with a second left on the shot clock takes a hot potato shot. And at almost no point during that set does the ball actually enter the key.

Louisiana was far more selective with their shots (only 48), and probably 3/4 of them were "high-percentage shots." They held possession to allow plays to develop, almost always ending up with a layup or very short-range jumper. That's how you end up shooting 54% from the field. Also, you'll notice they didn't shoot a lot of 3-pointers, but the overwhelming majority were from the corner (usually about 10% higher probability compared to wing and straight-on). And when they weren't making those high-percentage shots in the lane, they were getting themselves fouled and then went 20-23 from the line.

I get the youth & experience issues we have on the current roster. But the disparity between us and Louisiana in in-game decision-making, maturity, etc. cannot be explained solely by that.

Yes, it is as simple as them shooting well. That is the case in most games. The question we need to address is why that is occurring. It is occurring because:
  • slow interior defense that cannot be aggressive without fouling
  • inattention to perimeter defense, making lower percentage shots into higher percentage shots
  • poor overall defense that does not disrupt opposing offense, allowing their plays to fully develop... I'm actually not sure I could clearly tell you the type of defense we were running most of the game--it was that messy.
  • Weak TxSt guard play in both directions
  • Lack of aggression on the rebound, allowing for a TON of second chance points and causing missed opportunities for TxSt

It was "one of those games," but I would argue that it didn't have to be. We created an environment for Louisiana's success.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:39 pm