12/17* Who would you rather see finish as Head Coach? 

Who would you choose to finish the season?
Poll ended at Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:53 am
Flaska 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
Davalos 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Strutters 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 15

12/17* Who would you rather see finish as Head Coach? 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post 12/17* Who would you rather see finish as Head Coach?
Davlos or this guy?

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/coaches.a ... ath=mbball

Rob Flaska
Assistant Coach
Second Season
Michigan Tech, 1982

Rob Flaska begins his second season as an assistant coach at Texas State. Before joining the Bobcats, Flaska served 11 years as a collegiate head coach and 15 seasons as an assistant coach, including 12 years as a NCAA Division I assistant coach.

In Flaska's first year with Texas State, he helped the Bobcats continue their winning ways, as the Bobcats finished the 2009-10 season with an overall record of 15-16, 9-7 in league play. Texas State improved its win total for the fourth straight year, and advanced to the Southland Conference Tournament for the second consecutive season. The Bobcats led the league in rebounding offense, steals and offensive rebounds. Texas State also finished the season ranked in the top 25 in the nation in steals and scoring offense.

From 2008-09, Flaska serves as an assistant coach at Texas Southern after serving the three previous years as the head coach at Centenary, three years as an assistant coach at Arkansas and four seasons at TCU under current Lamar athletic director Billy Tubbs.

As the head coach at Centenary, Flaska inherited a team that had won only three games the year before his arrival and led the nation's smallest Division I school to a pair of seasons with double-digit win totals. He also regenerated some excitement in the school's Gold Dome when he renewed old rivalries and won games against Louisiana Tech and Arkansas-Little Rock. He also started playing home games against the likes of LSU and Baylor, while upsetting bigger schools like Texas Tech and SMU.

He went to Centenary after spending three years as an assistant coach at Arkansas, where he was named the school's recruiting coordinator and helped sign two classes that were ranked No. 4 nationally in 2003 and No. 11 in 2004 by CSTV. Those classes included NBA lottery picks Al Jefferson and Ronnie Brewer. His first recruit at Arkansas was Eric Ferguson, who completed his collegiate career ranked among the schools Top five career leaders in assists and steals. Basketball Times and Hoop Scoop listed him as one of the nation's top assistant coaches

While at TCU, he helped lead the Horned Frogs to a pair of 20-win seasons in 1999 and 2001. TCU also was one of the top two scoring teams in the nation each of his four seasons there. He also recruited and helped sign Corey Santee, the school's all-time assist leader and second leading scorer, and NBA Draft pick Corey Hightower. TCU's recruiting classes were listed as the best in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) by most major recruiting rating services and magazines, including Basketball Times, Basketball News, Street and Smith's, The Sporting News and Dick Vitale's, three straight years. The 1998 and 2001 classes was rated as the 17th and 29th-best nationally by Hoop Scoop.

Flaska also was the head coach at Florida Community College in Jacksonville, Fla., where he compiled a 64-31 record from 1995-98, and enjoyed success in the NJCAA Regional Tournament. In 1997 his team advanced to the NJCAA Region VIII Championship. His most notable player was Marquis Gainous, the school's all-time leading scorer, and the only player to ever be named to the NJCCA All-America team from FCCJ.

Flaska also served as an assistant coach at Trinity Valley Community College (1992-95) for Hall of Fame Coach Leon Spencer. There, he recruited five First-Team All-Americans, including Eddie Robinson, a former NBA player with the Charlotte Hornets and Chicago Bulls. During his last year with the Cardinals, Trinity Valley won the Conference Championship, State Championship, NJCAA Region XIV Championship, and the NJCAA National Tournament Consolation Championship.

He was also the head coach at Mott Community College in Flint, Mich., for five seasons (1986-91), posting a record of 121-44. His 1996-97 team earned top 20 national rankings and reached the Region XII finals. While Flaska was at Mott, his teams won the Michigan Eastern Conference Championships in '89, '90 and '91, the state title in 1990, and a Region XII championship with a national finalist finish in 1991. He was voted conference Coach of the Year in '89, '90 and '91, State Coach of the Year in 1990 and Region XII Coach of the Year in 1991. In addition, 16 of his last 17 players graduated.

Prior to Trinity, he served as an assistant coach and assistant athletic director at Texas-Pan American (1991-92), where he recruited Grey Guy, the 1993 NCAA Division I scoring champion.

He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant coach at Indiana State University (1982-84) followed by a two year stint at the University of Detroit (1984-86). Flaska has had more than 50 players earn scholarships to four-year schools from the junior college ranks.

Flaska played at Glen Lake High School in Maple City, Mich., under Hall of Fame Coach Don Miller and led his team to the 1977 state championship while earning All-State honors.

He played at Michigan Tech from 1978-82, where he quarterbacked the team to four straight winning seasons, and set school records for assists and steals. He ended his career with 856 points, and still ranks among the school's Top Six career leaders in assists with 316 and steals with 116 in 98 games.

Flaska earned a master's in business administration (MBA) from Indiana State University in 1984.

Flaska and his wife Joni have a daughter, Riley Nicole. He also has a son Charlie.

Last edited by Mad_Cat on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:53 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Who would you rather see finish the season as Head Coach
I was at the Our Lady of the Lake game, and after Davalos was ejected for the first time all season we actually were running and offense, and not just having guys running around trying to score.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:56 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I say tell Davalos to not worry about coming in for the rest of the season... or ever again. Give this guy a shot and if he doesn't seem to be doing anything, let him go too. We're all pretty certain that the Davalos thing isn't going to work out.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:43 am
Junior Bobcat

Rencher.

In the games I have watched, Doug is yelling at players, Flaska is kinda there, and Rencher is the guy getting the troops back in their zone.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:48 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

At this point I'd let a turd sandwich finish out the season as Head Coach. :evil:

Flaska has done a good job during the times he has had to step in. I was another that noticed an improvement in execution when Flaska took over following DD's ejection. I don't know enough about Rencher to give an informed opinion on him.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm surprised Boko isnt listed as a choice. At least we would get some positive news coverage out of havibg a mascot on the sidelines & possibly might win a game or two.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Honestly if I were Davalos and I knew that what I was doing wasn't working I'd tell the kids to start playing streetball. Screw the coaching. They can't do any worse just going "hood" ball on the floor.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Malleus wrote:
Honestly if I were Davalos and I knew that what I was doing wasn't working I'd tell the kids to start playing streetball. Screw the coaching. They can't do any worse just going "hood" ball on the floor.

Maybe this way, AJ Stewart would actually start playing better. Same with Rios...

Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Malleus wrote:

Now THAT I would pay to see. Might actually win a couple with that game plan...

El Gato wrote:
Official Attendance: 15,613...near sell out
Abe Froman wins.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

How does DD have two votes? Did he and his wife show up to skew the results?

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Malleus wrote:

You are not too far off. The unfortunate fact is that to field a competetive team in today's environment, well....

Let's just use Baylor as an example. :roll: Pit Bulls, Gangstas and 9mm's are the order of the day.

I would rather lose ALL games than go there.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

GreenParrot wrote:
Malleus wrote:

You are not too far off. The unfortunate fact is that to field a competetive team in today's environment, well....

Let's just use Baylor as an example. :roll: Pit Bulls, Gangstas and 9mm's are the order of the day.

I would rather lose ALL games than go there.

i have no idea what this means because i dont follow basketball never mind baylor basketball...but if it means we can have pitbulls on the court and gangsters with 9's in the 5 man/woman rotation im down for it...would be way more entertaining cause id go see that...id actually show up in strahan...last time i stepped foot in that place was for my HS grad long ago

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:28 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

RiverRatCat06 wrote:

My bad, one of those was mine. I thought Flaska was some kind of nickname for Fox, so I voted Davalos.....didn't know it was referring to the assistant coach.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:43 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
RiverRatCat06 wrote:

My bad, one of those was mine. I thought Flaska was some kind of nickname for Fox, so I voted Davalos.....didn't know it was referring to the assistant coach.

Lol!!! Been to Florida much?

So we have one vote for davalos? Inspiring. Very inspiring.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:37 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I watched them play several times and I didn't think Davalos had a clue what he was doing. They haven't bought in to his scheme of things yet. Guess what,they never will. Davalos is well connected and that is the only thing keeping him as coach.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:51 am