PAT ON THE BACK? 

Should the Basketball team get a pat on the back?
Poll ended at Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:10 pm
YES 59%  59%  [ 13 ]
NO 41%  41%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 22

PAT ON THE BACK? 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post PAT ON THE BACK?
Should our team give them selves a pat on the back after hanging tough with a very good Texas team?

I don't think so. I think this team needs to really think hard about this game and this season and ask them selves did they really play their best game. Not to disrespect this team because they did play a good game. Commentators were really giving our guys some nice compliments but I think if our guys really played the way they can this game would have been a win for us. So I ask! Should our players be content playing the number 6 team in the nation close or should they be disgusted they let this one slip. I think they should go back and bust their asses to whip every team they face here on out so they get a chance to play UT again. This time with a title at stake. That's right! I think this team has what it takes to blow out every opponent it meets from here on out. Their goal should be a rematch and vindication! This team should use this loss as motivation to play harder and allow it to spring board them to the next level of play. They need to realize how good they really are and come out to destroy every one else they face this season. They can do it.

Also they need to get a strength and conditioning coach for the BB team. They need to put more meat on our guys.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: PAT ON THE BACK?
I agree from what I've seen so far. ESPEn said Texas won against a very tough Texas State team.Leaving their(Texas) point guard open at the top of the key is not smart otherwise a good game,but should have won . The same with Rice

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:47 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

You could tell at the beginning of the game our team was intimidated but once they started scoring they began to realize they could play with UT. UT couldn't keep up with our quick scores ( 2 passes or less). This team can do something special if they just play confident and smart.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Mad_Cat wrote:
You could tell at the beginning of the game our team was intimidated but once they started scoring they began to realize they could play with UT. UT couldn't keep up with our quick scores ( 2 passes or less). This team can do something special if they just play confident and smart.

Definitely agree. They played all but about four minutes of the game as good as they possibly could against a strong #6 Texas team. Taking the lead late in the 2nd half said a lot about the heart this team has, as well as quality talent and coaching. The catch was that a #6 team doesn't forgive errors, and we made just a couple too many.

I don't believe in moral victories, but I saw A LOT of good today. This is a team headed in the right direction. I hope they take this game as a confidence boost, telling them that they can hang with any team in the country. While there's still room for improvement, this team is playing the smartest I've seen since I began watching/tracking games in 2001.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:31 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I was proud of the way they hung with Texas and the way ESPN was flashing the score as "upset alert" during their other games and the guys should get a pat on the back for this game but.....
Personally, this game didnt make me feel any better about this season (i felt good about it until the season actually started). The fact is we foul WAY too much whether it is inherent in Davalous' style, just out of player stupidity, or lack of talent and thats something that we have NOT improved since last season. We can never win consistently that way.

We foul everybody all the time so we will do well against teams that cant shoot free throws and thats what Texas was. They couldnt get into their rhythm or get momentum because we fouled them ever other play. They missed a lot of their free throws so it worked out well for us. You saw what happens if a team MAKES their free throws in the final mins. when Texas began to pull away. Despite our fast scoring offense we can never go on 15-0 runs because we cant go more than 2 possessions without giving up free buckets via fouls. Its something that is wrong with this team and HAS NOT changed and thats worries me.

edit: corrected "can" to "cant"; my whole argument was based off that word and pretty stupid to type the wrong one

Last edited by west_texas_Cat on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:01 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The team definately should be proud of themselves. They hung in against a very very good UT basketball team. And even took the lead a few times in the second half. So yes, they should give themselves a pat on the back. But at the same time, no they shouldn't just be content playing UT close. They need to always WANT to win the games and give everything they can to win the games. But, there is nothing wrong at all about being proud of yourself for playing a far superior basketball team close.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:20 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

sm_bobcat wrote:
there is nothing wrong at all about being proud of yourself for playing a far superior basketball team close.

I agreed with what you said until you made this statement. This quote is what scares me the most. Why on this green earth would any team consider their opponent "FAR SUPERIOR"! Correction why should we as fans think this way. When you go in thinking this way you will always come out on the losing end. Good teams always play to do one thing and thats WIN! This tells our team we accept the loss because we didn't think they were good enough to beat a"FAR SUPERIOR" team anyway. This is what coach Wright was talking about when he said the mentality of our UNIVERSITY AND FANS needs to change, As long as WE consider ourselves second class NO ONE will see us as anything else. Do you think UCLA or Villanova pat themselves for playing close? No because those teams and those players play to win. If we want to be where they are we need to play like they do and our athletes need to have the same mentality those teams have. We had a chance to go on a run in the second half and instead we let them come back. Our team needs to learn how to finish a team off when we have them on the ropes and go for the knock out.

WE ARE :texasstate: !!

Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:31 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Mad_Cat wrote:
sm_bobcat wrote:
there is nothing wrong at all about being proud of yourself for playing a far superior basketball team close.

I agreed with what you said until you made this statement. This quote is what scares me the most. Why on this green earth would any team consider their opponent "FAR SUPERIOR"! Correction why should we as fans think this way. When you go in thinking this way you will always come out on the losing end. Good teams always play to do one thing and thats WIN! This tells our team we accept the loss because we didn't think they were good enough to beat a"FAR SUPERIOR" team anyway. This is what coach Wright was talking about when he said the mentality of our UNIVERSITY AND FANS needs to change, As long as WE consider ourselves second class NO ONE will see us as anything else. Do you think UCLA or Villanova pat themselves for playing close? No because those teams and those players play to win. If we want to be where they are we need to play like they do and our athletes need to have the same mentality those teams have. We had a chance to go on a run in the second half and instead we let them come back. Our team needs to learn how to finish a team off when we have them on the ropes and go for the knock out.

WE ARE :texasstate: !!

In no way to I consider us to be second class. But, I am smart enough to realize that as much as we can hope for a miracle, our Texas State team this year is not a great basketball team. For us a MAJOR accomplishment would be to win our conference tournament. UT on the out hand has a VERY legit chance at winning the NCAA championship. We are NOT at that level yet. There is nothing wrong with admitting that. There is NOTHING wrong with admitting that UT is far superior to Texas State in basketball. UT has become one of the power houses in college basketball year in and year out. We on the other hand haven't had a winning season in I can't even remember when.

Does that mean that we can't beat UT, absolutely not. But there is nothing wrong with players much less fans knowing and admitting that the team we are playing is a much better team. Does it mean we can't win, absolutely not. But, it certainly does mean that we have to bring our A+ game if we expect to have a chance at winning the game. You even hear coaches admit at times that the team that they are playing is superior to their team. But the follow it up by saying that they feel they have a chance to win if they bring their best game. And if they lose, as they almost always do, they will admit that while they wanted to win, there is no shame in losing to a superior team, and that they are proud of how the kids played and they played there best.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:15 am