Game Thread - Vs. Air Force 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Game Thread - Vs. Air Force
Watching those 3 freshman for Duke dazzle last night and murder Kentucky got me excited for the basketball season. So I'm starting the game thread early (take note El Gato).

Bobcats decided not to play on opening night last night so they could open the season in style with a name opponent in Air Force to christen the newly renovated Strahan Arena (no longer "coliseum"). Tip-off is at 7pm Friday night in San Marcos.

Not sure if they are still running the deal, but you could get $5 reserved tickets to the game online using the promo code "tipoff" when ordering online:
https://ev3.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetGroupList?groupCode=BB&linkID=txstate&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

Here's my best educated guess at the starters and a positional breakdown of each position:
1 - Point guard probably depends on the health of Marlin Davis. Davis tore his ACL and missed about half of the season last year after opening the season as the starting PG. If he's healthy I wouldn't be surprised to see him start. That being said, Cal Poly transfer Jaylen Shead is likely a starting candidate at the point regardless of Davis's health. Shead was with the program last year but redshirted due to transfer rules. If Davis is healthy expect to see plenty of both players. True freshman, and the 2018 class's top recruit, Mason Harrell, is likely to be in the rotation as well and will see plenty of minutes should Davis not be to 100% yet. Harrell is a little guy at 5'9" but will be one of the more intriguing new guys to watch early in the year. Despite his size, he can score the basketball. Something we've missed at the PG position during most of Kaspar's tenure (including with Davis).

2 - After filling in for Davis for most of the year last year at PG, combo guard Tre Nottingham is likely to move over to shooting guard where he should be more comfortable. Nottingham was the 3rd leading scorer on last year's team with 7.5 PPG. One area of improvement Nottingham will need is behind the 3-point line. He shot 32.6% from 3 last year, but will need to up that playing predominantly at SG now. Isaiah Gurley battled a hamstring issue all year last season, causing him to miss 11 games. As far as I know he should be healthy and will be expected to make a huge jump up in contribution over last year. Gurley also struggled from 3 last year at just 27.3%.

3 - Nijal Pearson returns for his junior season after being asked to lead the team last year as a sophomore. Pearson saw a bit of a sophomore slump after losing some key offensive pieces from 2 years ago but still led the team in scoring at 15.2 PPG. Assuming more offensive contribution around him in the starting lineup this year, the expectation is Pearson should have an easier time finding opportunities to score. The offense ran almost exclusively through Pearson at times last year which led to scoring droughts when faced with a good defensive gameplan. Sophomore Shelby Adams is the likely primary backup to Pearson at the 3 after putting up modest numbers during his freshman season. Adams will be asked to contribute more and help get more rest for Pearson who played 33 minutes a game last year. JUCO transfer Akiem Daschner is the other newcomer to watch and will provide a lot more size to this position at 6'7".

4 - Alex Peacock returns to man the 4 after taking over starting duties 7 games into the season last year. Peacock was the team's 4th leading scorer at 7.1 PPG. He and Nottingham will be asked to up their offensive production this season to help free things up for Pearson. Peacock showed to be a versatile player last year who could score, rebound, pass, and defend. I'm guessing Quentin Scott may have a fairly significant role this year backing up Peacock at the 4 despite being a walk-on? Scott played in just 13 games last year as one of the deeper reserves on the team, but did get more minutes towards the end of the season. The loss of Nedja Prijovic hurts at this position. I haven't seen Daschner play, but I would assume with his size he can play the 4 as well. If so he could provide depth at both forward spots and could be the primary backup here.

5 - After serving as the backup last year to Immanuel King, Eric Terry is poised to take over the center spot as a junior. Watching Terry play last year there are glimpses of him having a really high ceiling with proper coaching. He was the leading scoring bench player last year at 5.8 PPG and looked to be the more promising player offensively between King and Terry at times. What kept King on the floor was his rebounding and defending. Terry will be asked to step up his game on the other end of the court and become a more complete player. This is easily the scariest position on the floor this year as depth will be pretty thin behind Terry. Redshirt freshman Alonzo Sule may be the primary backup after redshirting last year. The other option is the newly acquired JUCO prospect Chandler Davis, who was signed after 3-star prospect Marlon Cunningham left San Marcos after just a week on campus. With some JUCO experience under his belt Davis could be the more likely to backup Terry over Sule. This will be an interesting battle to watch and the team will desperately need at least one of them to be serviceable. We're undersized again at this position with these guys going just 6-8, 6-8, and 6-7.

Deeper Reserves/Redshirts:
Two other freshman guards will be down at the end of the bench that I don't really see breaking into the lineup much in Dillon Gooding and Nathan McClure. Barring injuries, expect one or both to redshirt.

Scouting Air Force:
This is the 2nd leg of a home and home as Texas State tipped off the year last year on the road playing Air Force in Colorado Springs. Air Force won that matchup 65-57.

The Falcons tipped off the season at home last night beating Johnson & Wales University 90-65. Johnson & Wales is in its first season as a NCAA DIII team after previously playing in the NAIA.

Air Force finished 9th in the 11 team Mountain West last year with an overall record of 11-21 and a league record of 6-12. They were picked to finish 10th in the MWC preseason poll this year.

Last year's leading scorer Lavelle Scottie returns after scoring 12.2 PPG last year. Scottie is a 6-7 forward from Fort Worth. Scottie scored right at his average last night vs. JWU, scoring 12 off the bench. Guard Chris Joyce led the team with 15 points off the bench but that may have just been a product of their opponent as he averaged 0.6 PPG last year.

Starting lineup for the Falcons below with stats from last night (and last years scoring avg):
G - Sid Tomes - (6-4, 200) - 11 points, 1 rebound, 5 assists (4.7 PPG last year)
G - Pervis Louder - (6-4, 187) - 9 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists (6.3 PPG last year)
G - Keaton Van Soelen (6-7, 190) - 6 points, 2 rebounds (3.6 PPG last year)
F - Ameka Akaya (6-6, 215) - 8 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists (0.7 PPG last year)
F - Ryan Swan (6-7, 235) - 10 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists (9.2 PPG last year)

I believe this and all TXST home games will be on an ESPN platform this year. Usually ESPN+. Worth the $4.99 subscription if you don't live in the San Marcos area but want to be able to watch every Sun Belt game.

Will update with the Vegas line when it drops.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:06 pm
SuperCat

Post Re: Game Thread - Vs. Air Force
You should be getting paid for your posts.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:31 pm
SuperCat

I am ready for the season as well. I do think Daschner will back up Peacock more than the 3 position. Hopefully his knee is good enough for him to play. Kaspar seems to really like him. I'm also more upbeat about Chandler Davis than most it seems. He reminds me of King with better offensive skills. I just hope Terry has learned to not foul. If not then I would not be surprised to see him lose his spot as starter. I'm also excited to see M Harrellat 5'9" drive to the hole. Don't think he will shy away. Either way, I am ready and will be at the game a couple of hours early. Hope we have a huge crowd.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

UTSA just dropped their season opener to St. Edwards...

Ouch.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I am excited about Harrell. I'm interested to see how he is utilized. I believe he will be used sparingly in the beginning of the season. I think Kaspar will let him do a lot of watching from the bench so he can get an idea of the speed and pace of the game.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:19 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

jj1180 wrote:
You should be getting paid for your posts.

QFT. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:22 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcats open as 6 point favorites.

Good sign.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:04 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Bobcats open as 6 point favorites.

Good sign.

We played them tough on the road last year and we have more veterans coming back and we are at home. Seems about right, provided the team spent some time this offseason working on FTs. :lol: :lol:

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:21 am
True Bobcat Fan

Down to 4.5 point favorites. Betting public hammering AFA it looks like.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:32 am
True Bobcat Fan

I'm ready for a winner in Basketball. Kaspar has had more than enough time to turn things around. I expect a win tonight.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:40 am
Bobcat Wannabe

Anybody have updates on health of Davis and Daschner? Did they play in last scrimmage?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Holy Shit! Scott just dunked an Air Force player through the center of the earth.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Halftime Thoughts:

Shead is a frikkin' tank at point guard.

Defense is top notch. Great rotation.

Danny Kaspar's hair gel is amazing.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Agreed. Shead looks pretty solid.

The team seemed to be getting their "sea legs" as the first half progressed.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Agreed. Pearson warmed up and Shead got comfortable.

The defense was ready to go from the start. Wait till these guys really get to know each other as the season progresses. If they can continue to score buckets, they will be a tough opponent. IF.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 pm