Format changes 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Format changes
Updates to the regular and post season schedules.

East and West divisions.

Quote:
East: Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, South Alabama and Troy; West: Little Rock, Arkansas State, Louisiana, ULM, UTA, and Texas State

Best part is a schedule alignment with CUSA and Horizon to force TXST to make a better schedule.

Quote:
As a first step for improving non-conference scheduling, Sun Belt men’s basketball teams will reserve two dates in the non-conference portion of their schedule to play against peer conference opponents. Each team will have one home opponent and one away opponent from this scheduling alliance. The scheduling alliance will fully begin with the 2019-20 season, though some games may be part of 2018-19 schedules.

http://sunbeltsports.org/news/2018/6/4/ ... -plan.aspx

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:30 pm
Junior Bobcat

Post Re: Format changes
The pod thing at the end of the season is interesting. No one will know their last four games of the season until that week and you could play the same opponent four times before the conference tournament. It seems like a clear way to help the top three seeds play each other to help their strength of schedule.. Could the four seed potentially go 4-0 to end the year and win the regular season title? Teams are 12-4, 12-4, 11-5, 11-5. One of those is getting left out of the first pod and they end 4-0 and win the regular season title but then be forced to be the 4 seed in the conference tournament. I think that’s right. And seems bizarre. Whatever.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:16 am
True Bobcat Fan

stlwildcats wrote:
The pod thing at the end of the season is interesting. No one will know their last four games of the season until that week and you could play the same opponent four times before the conference tournament. It seems like a clear way to help the top three seeds play each other to help their strength of schedule.. Could the four seed potentially go 4-0 to end the year and win the regular season title? Teams are 12-4, 12-4, 11-5, 11-5. One of those is getting left out of the first pod and they end 4-0 and win the regular season title but then be forced to be the 4 seed in the conference tournament. I think that’s right. And seems bizarre. Whatever.

It is unique. I think something needed to be done to help boost SOS and maybe this can help get the SBC to become a two bid conference.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:45 am
SuperCat

Yes, some changes did need to be done for improved SOS, but maybe start out with not so many changes.

I also like the peer conference alliance scheduling. Maybe another change could be no DivIII or lower schools on OOC, just for exb. only. Oh, that might hurt us though------- :wink:

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:33 am
SuperCat

Also, I hope the Sun Belt isn't over complicating itself out of what it is trying to do.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

stlwildcats wrote:
It seems like a clear way to help the top three seeds play each other to help their strength of schedule..

it is, but the unintended consequence is going to come when someone gets screwed out of an ncaa bid because they had to play the same team 5x that season, potentially 4x in 3 wks.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

not sure i really like the home games for the conference tourney as that seems like a money saver over fairness. conf tourneys should be neutral site deals. this only helps ensure chalk.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

disregard my previous/deleted post if you saw it. reading is fundamental, and i should do more of it! :oops: :oops:

stlwildcats wrote:
Could the four seed potentially go 4-0 to end the year and win the regular season title? Teams are 12-4, 12-4, 11-5, 11-5. One of those is getting left out of the first pod and they end 4-0 and win the regular season title but then be forced to be the 4 seed in the conference tournament. I think that’s right. And seems bizarre. Whatever.

you are correct, and it is a bit bizarre.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:56 pm
SuperCat

I wonder how the selection committees for the post season tourneys will react(view teams) with the new format when the time comes?

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Two goals with the SBC here.
1. Improve the seeding in the NCAA tournament of our automatic bid.
2. Improve chances of getting an at-large bid. (last time the sun belt got an at-large bid is 2008 I think)

Not sure if these changes will actually help the conference reach those goals, but I'm happy to see them try and do something. The quality of basketball in the conference has gotten worse and worse in the last decade or so in the Sun Belt. Something had to be done.

Saul Goodman wrote:
not sure i really like the home games for the conference tourney as that seems like a money saver over fairness. conf tourneys should be neutral site deals. this only helps ensure chalk.

I wasn't initially a huge fan either, but after attending the Troy/TXST game last year in the SBC tournament championship in Lakefront I really realized how poorly the tournament does in that venue. It doesn't make sense to keep it there. Ensuring chalk also helps goal number one above and you'd expect significantly better attended games at conference institutions. I have a feeling the final four being held at the Pelicans arena won't fare much better though unfortunately, especially with only two teams knowing for sure they will be there before the tournament starts.

The scheduling alliance is a great change. It's unfortunate that the conference has to step in to make the coaches and ADs schedule more competitively, but it had to be done.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I wonder if these changes were already in motion, or if they were entirely reactionary to Scott Cross getting fired.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Been in motion for a couple years now. CUSA just adopted a very similar format also.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Here is the lowdown

https://deadspin.com/a-college-basketball-insider-is-uniting-mid-majors-to-b-1826990796

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:58 pm