UTSA schedules UT in football? 
True Bobcat Fan

Post UTSA schedules UT in football?
https://twitter.com/theJJPerez/status/1126883027433422849?s=19

Anyone know if this is true? If it is, how were they able to get something scheduled with them when we haven't been able to?

Fri May 10, 2019 11:45 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: UTSA schedules UT in football?
They're in the same system. UT schedules similar series with UTEP all the time. They have 5 games scheduled with UTEP between now and 2033 also.

A couple things,
A. Have we been trying to schedule UT? Do you know that for sure?
B. I wouldn't like this deal. Not a single home game out of it? That's a no from me dawg.

I don't get why everyone gets so wet over UT and A&M though personally (ah Bobcatfans, where I don't have to censor myself...). The gap in excitement level between playing a "big name" team and anybody else isn't near as large for me as it is for most TXST fans. Would I like to play Texas? If we stop being shitty and they don't get really good again? Sure. Would I like to play a 6 game series with all 6 games in Austin? Hell no.

Fri May 10, 2019 12:32 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'm with you on that. I am not excited at all about playing a&m. This game will strt the season on a big downer.

Fri May 10, 2019 1:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

X, I don't think we have tried to get a series with them. Not to my knowledge anyways. I also don't like the idea of a 5 or 6 game series with all road games either. Even though playing at UT is basically a home game anyways.

I want to play the power 5 teams in Texas strictly to bring us up to that level of play and notoriety within the state. We need to get our act together though. I don't want to go in and lose every one of these games like we lost the tech games a few years ago. I want us to play em close like the A&M game in 05.

Fri May 10, 2019 4:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

JustinS09 wrote:
I want to play the power 5 teams in Texas strictly to bring us up to that level of play and notoriety within the state. We need to get our act together though. I don't want to go in and lose every one of these games like we lost the tech games a few years ago. I want us to play em close like the A&M game in 05.

Yeah I mostly agree with you.

Just simply playing the P5 teams doesn't bring you up to that level though to me.

It takes two things for me: Some home games, even if they aren't as frequent. And being competitive.

Getting payed to get slaughtered doesn't do a team much good in my opinion. You're just an easy win cupcake for the winning team. Nobody confuses an easy win cupcake as a team on a similar level.

Hopefully we can keep the A&M game respectable for us.

Sun May 12, 2019 12:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

X-

Given our returning upper class defenders and their relative talent level compared to the average SBC team, what would you say is respectable? Mix that in with Spavital coming in which anyone that isn't Withers is assumed to be an upgrade. That mixed in with anyone that isn't WJ3 at quarterback (Jensen who is building some positive speculation) and a team that seems to be buying into Spav more so than Withers. Assuming no more than normal attrition/injuries throughout summer and fall:

A respectable score IMHO would be 40-24. FCS Nicholls had them on the ropes one year relatively then around halftime ULL looked like they might pull it off one year. UTSA kept within 2 scores one year. I don't see why there isn't any reason we can't keep it really respectable if we stack the box and our veteran OLBs can keep things in front of them on run plays to the corners and we don't get beat too many times over top.

Mon May 13, 2019 9:42 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
They're in the same system. UT schedules similar series with UTEP all the time. They have 5 games scheduled with UTEP between now and 2033 also.

A couple things,
B. I wouldn't like this deal. Not a single home game out of it? That's a no from me dawg.

I don't get why everyone gets so wet over UT and A&M though personally (ah Bobcatfans, where I don't have to censor myself...). The gap in excitement level between playing a "big name" team and anybody else isn't near as large for me as it is for most TXST fans. Would I like to play Texas? If we stop being shitty and they don't get really good again? Sure. Would I like to play a 6 game series with all 6 games in Austin? Hell no.

I'd do it in a heartbeat. A $6M payout is nice and all, but the visibility for the program would be way higher than anything we can garner on our own.

This year, I'd venture to say we will keep the A&M game extremely close. We have a really good team coming back and Jensen seems to be ready for a solid game from day 1.

Mon May 13, 2019 2:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
x wrote:

A couple things,

I'd do it in a heartbeat. A $6M payout is nice and all, but the visibility for the program would be way higher than anything we can garner on our own.

This year, I'd venture to say we will keep the A&M game extremely close. We have a really good team coming back and Jensen seems to be ready for a solid game from day 1.

I think we’d all love it IF we could keep the A&M game close. Last time we did that was what? 2005, when Aggie was coached by Fran?

Jumbo ain’t Fran. This game won’t be close, unless Jimbo takes his foot off the gas, and calls off the dogs. The final in this one will be pretty much whatever Aggie wants it to be.

I’ll acknowledge that we should be better this year, but so are they, and we’re nowhere near their league.

It’s a Big payday for us, so collect the check, stay healthy, and move on. . . .

Tue May 14, 2019 10:44 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat87 wrote:

I think we’d all love it IF we could keep the A&M game close. Last time we did that was what? 2005, when Aggie was coached by Fran?

Jumbo ain’t Fran. This game won’t be close, unless Jimbo takes his foot off the gas, and calls off the dogs. The final in this one will be pretty much whatever Aggie wants it to be.

I’ll acknowledge that we should be better this year, but so are they, and we’re nowhere near their league.

It’s a Big payday for us, so collect the check, stay healthy, and move on. . . .

They lost seven players to the NFL, including their starting Center, RB and TE. The left side of their O-line is suspect at best and Mond has been known to be generous with the ball to opposing defenses. He completed only 53% of his passes in the Maroon and White game, and that was against a vanilla A&M defense. :sombrero:

Tue May 14, 2019 1:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Bobcat87 wrote:

They lost seven players to the NFL, including their starting Center, RB and TE. The left side of their O-line is suspect at best and Mond has been known to be generous with the ball to opposing defenses. He completed only 53% of his passes in the Maroon and White game, and that was against a vanilla A&M defense. :sombrero:

Yeah, they lost guys to the NFL, and do you know what they’ll fill those openings with? P5 level talent. Head and shoulders above what we recruit. The Aggies are actually touted to have one of the toughest schedules in the country next year, but when they talk about that “tough schedule,” they ain’t talking about us.

Your optimism is laudable, but misplaced. It would take a miracle for us to go from 3 year SBC doormat to SEC Aggie slayer in a few short months. This is a body bag game, nothing more.

Tue May 14, 2019 5:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Agree with Bobcat87. I wish we were already in a place where we could talk about upsets, but we're just not. Especially against a team in the top half of the SEC.

Wed May 15, 2019 9:38 am
True Bobcat Fan

Also, in regards to losing players to the draft... They have had one of the best recruiting classes in the country the last few years. They're not just replacing those players with P5 talent, they're replacing them with top P5 talent. They won't see a huge drop in talent even after losing those players. Similar to how Alabama doesn't drop much year to year despite the number of players they put in the NFL.

Wed May 15, 2019 9:43 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

JustinS09 wrote:
Also, in regards to losing players to the draft... They have had one of the best recruiting classes in the country the last few years. They're not just replacing those players with P5 talent, they're replacing them with top P5 talent. They won't see a huge drop in talent even after losing those players. Similar to how Alabama doesn't drop much year to year despite the number of players they put in the NFL.

That I actually disagree with, because their RB was a stud last year and now they are talking "committee" because no one has separated themselves. Their Oline has some solid starters but there are a couple suspect bodies on the left side of their line. I'm talking HUGE question marks.

Having said that, I think the game comes down to their passing attack vs. our secondary. Which is light years ahead of us.

Wed May 15, 2019 10:54 am
True Bobcat Fan

I think the game comes down to us more than them tbh. If we come out in a radically different offense with lots of trickery and they can't adjust to it, we stand a chance at making it close. Still don't think it's enough to win, but it could get entertaining.

That's the biggest thing we have going for us. We are a complete unknown when it comes to our offense. Hard to game plan for a new head coach that has a radically different offensive philosophy than the previous 2 coaches.

Wed May 15, 2019 12:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

JustinS09 wrote:
I think the game comes down to us more than them tbh. If we come out in a radically different offense with lots of trickery and they can't adjust to it, we stand a chance at making it close. Still don't think it's enough to win, but it could get entertaining.

That's the biggest thing we have going for us. We are a complete unknown when it comes to our offense. Hard to game plan for a new head coach that has a radically different offensive philosophy than the previous 2 coaches.

This “trickery” of which you speak is why we may keep it close for a quarter . . . .
This game will be won in the trenches, where we don’t even come close to matching up . . . they’ve got size, speed, and athletic ability . . . trickery can keep them off balance for a short period, but they’ll adjust.

I really wish we had a shot in this game, but we are nowhere near their caliber of play.

Stay healthy, collect the check, and move on . . .

Wed May 15, 2019 1:24 pm