We ***could*** beat A&M..... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post We ***could*** beat A&M.....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

After watching the Maroon and Gold game and listening to a lot of the chatter around the team, there were a ton of glimmers of hope for a solid season and **gasp** maybe even an upset to open the season.

First our own offense: clearly #2 Gresch Jensen is the #1 at QB and he has a solid threat to throw to with #10 Mason Hays. To anyone who has been watching, Hays has been making plays left and right since he got here. Save for two unfortunate injuries the past two years, he's been a bright spot for the receiving corps that lacks playmakers coming back. Jensen has proven to be a lot quicker at making decisions than #11 Tyler Vitt, despite the team responding better to Vitt (for obvious reasons of previous team chemistry). I think a RS for Vitt is in the cards. #7 Jaylen Gipson hasn't progressed in his development, and #14 Chase Hildreth may leapfrog him in the Vitt Redshirt scenario. He's got good touch on the shorter routes, but isn't afraid to take deep shots downfield.

#25 Anthony Taylor, whom I've been high on since his Freshman year under Franchione, is finally being given the opportunity to run the rock as a clear RB1, but #5 Jaylin Nelson has put on some weight and is not afraid of contact between the tackles. That gives the Bobcats a 1-2 punch we haven't had since Lowe and Nuthall.

The WR's are green and #80 Hutch White wasn't finding the same open looks than he did while Hays was out last year. #3 Jeremiah Haydel will benefit the most from Hays taking pressure off him and gives TxSt another solid option for possession receiver.

The line is much improved, but very very young. Aside from obvious perennial cornerstone #55 Aaron Brewer and fellow Senior anchor #72 Jacob Rowland, the line has Sophomores #69 Tanner King and #71 Tate Heitmeier and Junior #50 Reece Jordan at Center. The good thing is that four of the five linemen saw significant playing time as starters last season (except for King), the bad thing is they are very undersized by FBS standards. Spavital's offense tried repeatedly to establish the ground game to complement Jensen, whom the Oline is still working on gelling with.

The defense is solid, they kept the team in many games last season and we can expect more of the same this year with #9 Bryan London II leading the way. Other than #15 Jarron Morris picking off Vitt, there weren't too many big plays but the defense was consistently putting pressure on both Jensen and Vitt.

The team looked solid enough in the Spring game to be able to give A&M a run for their money early on. With Starkel transferring to Arkansas, that leaves the Aggies with a sink-or-swim scenario with Kellen Mond at QB. Although he threw for over 3,000 yards and rushed for almost 500 more, Mond is inconsistent at times (he was 14 for 26 [53%] in the Spring game), which will be interesting to see with his security blanket Williams gone to the NFL along with his 271 carries and 1,760 rushing yards along with breaking in a new Center. He does however have a huge playmaker in 6'5" WR Kendrick Rogers Jr., who at times last season proved to be a one-man wrecking crew on offense when Ausbon was injured and Davis needed help to open the field for him. The WR corps for the Aggies is deep and talented, and with TxSt's strength being the running defense and A&M breaking in a new RB, Mond could have a field day through the air.

There's no secret that A&M's defense was more liability than wrecking crew of old last season giving up 45 points to UCLA to open last season, barely holding down FCS Nicholls State to 14 points in game 2, and allowing Alabama to run roughshod for 45 points in a lopsided loss. They did, however, force five turnovers in the Maroon and White game this past weekend. If the Bobcats can force some pressure up the middle on Mond and cause him to force some throws into TxSt's hands to set up some short fields for Jensen and the Offense, an early season upset is not too far fetched even for a Jimbo Fisher coached team. :sombrero: :sombrero: :sign:

https://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/q ... f793a.html

Fearless prediction:

Texas State 34
Texas A&M 31

More Plausible Scenario:
Texas State 17
Texas A&M 31

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:57 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: We ***could*** beat A&M.....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

********Bump*********

Tue May 14, 2019 1:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

We hang for a quarter . . Max, after that Ags roll. Book it.

Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I actually read this when you first posted it. This is the most optimistic view to take. Is it possible? Maybe. Bigger upsets have happened. However, I put the chances of us winning at .01%. Chances of us making it close, maybe 5%...

Chances we get blown out, 95%. We should be improved enough to be competitive in the Sun Belt, but A&M will be competitive in the SEC. Even if they completely blow us off and we go into halftime with a lead or playing them close like we did with Tech and Florida State, they will blow us out of the water in the second half. We're just not to the point where we can pull that kinda upset yet.

Wed May 15, 2019 9:35 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

JustinS09 wrote:
I actually read this when you first posted it. This is the most optimistic view to take. Is it possible? Maybe. Bigger upsets have happened. However, I put the chances of us winning at .01%. Chances of us making it close, maybe 5%...

Chances we get blown out, 95%. We should be improved enough to be competitive in the Sun Belt, but A&M will be competitive in the SEC. Even if they completely blow us off and we go into halftime with a lead or playing them close like we did with Tech and Florida State, they will blow us out of the water in the second half. We're just not to the point where we can pull that kinda upset yet.

Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

JustinS09 wrote:

Pretty much agree with that assessment, but there's always a glimmer. This year more so than the past 14 years. 8) 8)

Wed May 15, 2019 10:51 am
True Bobcat Fan

It's crazy that as an FCS team in 2005 we had a better chance at an upset than we do now. I think that FCS team would beat any of the teams we've had over the last 5 years...

Wed May 15, 2019 12:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

JustinS09 wrote:
It's crazy that as an FCS team in 2005 we had a better chance at an upset than we do now. I think that FCS team would beat any of the teams we've had over the last 5 years...

agreed . . . I still remember being proud of that team after the A&M game, even though we lost, simply because of how well they played . . . That’s probably the last season I felt really good about Bobcat Football in general, knee and all.

Wed May 15, 2019 1:28 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat87 wrote:
JustinS09 wrote:

agreed . . . I still remember being proud of that team after the A&M game, even though we lost, simply because of how well they played . . . That’s probably the last season I felt really good about Bobcat Football in general, knee and all.

Agree with both that the 2005 team could give most our teams since then a good run, but the 8-5 (2009) & 7-5 (2014) teams probably would have been able to take care of business. Nealy was great and could shoulder some teams all on his own, but George and TJones would have torched our porous 2005 secondary to shreds.

This team has huge potential THIS YEAR. It will all rest on key pieces on the offensive side.

Thu May 16, 2019 9:13 am
True Bobcat Fan

Look.... A&M will not start season ready to play Clemson with losing the TOP SEC RB based on yards gained, a top TE, a top C, and some quality senior LBs.

Reality, Mond in year 2 under Jimbo. That alone should scare us. Jimbo's QBs in year 2 have a higher rate of success, which shouldn't be surprising. Their DL will be as close to 3 deep as any time they've been in SEC. They have 3-4 guys that will be at 310-315 playing across the DL from DT to DE. Jimbo moved a 300lb DT last season to DE and he had a breakout season. They will control the grid iron no doubt even with some new/inexperienced LBs. Yes, secondary weren't good last season but many were underclassmen and add a top recruiting class with 2-3 DBs that came in this spring.

Point is.. we still have question marks at WR, TE/Hback, OL, and more specifically go to players. We are exactly where A&M was last season trying to figure out if their OL would hold up, RB could be a 1,000 rusher, TE would be good or not, and which inexperienced WR would step up an consistently it IS Davis for them not Rogers (had 2 great games and that was it) or Ausbon (missed 3-4 games). We can only hope that we find answers the way A&M did last season.

I'm expecting the 2020 season being our breakout season. Not this one. Anything is possible but I'm not holding my breath.

Sat May 18, 2019 6:16 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobkat34 wrote:
Look.... A&M will not start season ready to play Clemson with losing the TOP SEC RB based on yards gained, a top TE, a top C, and some quality senior LBs.

Reality, Mond in year 2 under Jimbo. That alone should scare us. Jimbo's QBs in year 2 have a higher rate of success, which shouldn't be surprising. Their DL will be as close to 3 deep as any time they've been in SEC. They have 3-4 guys that will be at 310-315 playing across the DL from DT to DE. Jimbo moved a 300lb DT last season to DE and he had a breakout season. They will control the grid iron no doubt even with some new/inexperienced LBs. Yes, secondary weren't good last season but many were underclassmen and add a top recruiting class with 2-3 DBs that came in this spring.

Point is.. we still have question marks at WR, TE/Hback, OL, and more specifically go to players. We are exactly where A&M was last season trying to figure out if their OL would hold up, RB could be a 1,000 rusher, TE would be good or not, and which inexperienced WR would step up an consistently it IS Davis for them not Rogers (had 2 great games and that was it) or Ausbon (missed 3-4 games). We can only hope that we find answers the way A&M did last season.

I'm expecting the 2020 season being our breakout season. Not this one. Anything is possible but I'm not holding my breath.

Great assessment, only thing I disagree is the bolded part. I think this team has 7-5 or 8-4 potential this year. Withers may have been an obtuse and unpolished rube as HC, but he left a solid roster with a great defense in place. Spavital's offensive acumen will push this team over the top.

Mon May 20, 2019 9:03 am
True Bobcat Fan

After last season, I just want to score more that one TD!

Tue May 21, 2019 10:35 am