Meet your new coaches! 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Meet your new coaches!
Given how the other thread got derailed, I decided to absolutely steal Bobkat34's idea, and LSU Bobcat's format. Please... discuss the coaching staff, but leave Matsakis, Bailiff, Wright, Fran, & Withers (and their staff) out of this? Please?

Figured this would stay up until the second signing day, but will probably get taken off sooner than that.

HC: Jake Spavital Wiki Twitter
OC: Bob Stitt Wiki Twitter
WR: Ron Antoine (No Wiki) Twitter
RB:
TE: Morris Berger (No Wiki) Twitter
OL: Clay McGuire (No Wiki) Twitter

DC: Zac Spavital - (no Wiki) Twitter
DL:
LB: Maybe Zac Spavital
DB:

ST:

Director of High School Operations: Stephen Hill (No Wiki) Twitter

Zac Spavital coaching history:
2018-Present: Texas Tech Co-Defensive Coordinator (linebackers)
2016-17: Texas Tech Assistant Coach (linebackers/recruiting coordinator)
2015: Texas Tech Assistant Coach (linebackers)
2011-14: Houston Assistant Coach (defensive backs/recruiting coordinator)
2008-10: Houston Assistant Coach (defensive backs)
2005-07: Oklahoma Graduate Assistant (defensive backs/scout team)

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Meet your new coaches!
Can I talk about LaFleur?

:wink:

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:00 pm
Junior Bobcat

Can someone remind me: Does Hill count towards the allotment of 10 coaches? I think right now since he's out actively recruiting, he does, but when everything is in place and he's just the HS relations guy, does he?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I would say Saul or Bobkat34 could answer that. I'm clueless on most NCAA regulations.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

DrumCat wrote:
Does Hill count towards the allotment of 10 coaches? I think right now since he's out actively recruiting, he does, but when everything is in place and he's just the HS relations guy, does he?

no, he does not. that is a staffing role, specific to recruiting. moving that guy to an active recruiting role (on the 10man roster, if you will) is not an uncommon practice at all this time of year.

i suppose there's a chance he could end up on the 10 man roster w/ the new staff, but not sure what position - he's definitely an offensive coach and had some legit talent at st. pius x before coming here. won b2b state championships (spc) at kinkaid in '10 & '11.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Has anyone seen any current player reactions on social media about the new staff so far?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Considering we don't have enough coaches to be on road, I don't think they have to give Hill a position to recruit. Usually there can only be so many coaches out visiting at a time (I believe) so if that number was 6-7, we have 5. I'm not entirely sure but honestly, who cares.

After re-listening to HC Spav from yesterday's SA ESPN radio interview, he says to get his coordinators to help recruit and gives number 5 (HC Spav, OC, DC, Antoine, Hill) and even goes as far as saying these 5 to signing day and indicated that he would slowly hire position coaches. Likely because the best time to do so is in January at the coaches convention (at championship football game). That doesn't mean we won't get a few hires before then but if you are looking for solid coaches, they are going to look there too.

Also, HS Spav noted he was in San Antonio and we only have 2 San Antonio kids on our list and not even WV has any with Ok. State or TT with small amounts to so... they are already recruiting other kids is my take on his comment. Nothing to surprising but to know that they are going after their type of players.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

http://wvmetronews.com/2018/12/02/holgo ... vid-sills/

wvmetronews.com Article wrote:
Offensive coordinator Jake Spavital already expressed an interest in retaining the role for one
more game after accepting the head coaching job at Texas State. But as Holgorsen noted on Sunday, he hasn’t been in touch with Spavital since he took the Texas State job. Both coaches were out on the road recruiting this weekend.

“I haven’t heard from Jake since his press conference. He’s been buckled down with recruiting and so have I,” Holgorsen said. “He was a hot commodity at several schools. He settled on Texas State, which is great for Texas State and the Sun Belt Conference.”

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:08 am
True Bobcat Fan

I've not seen any social media saying much but I'm not surprised. He'll have at least the spring to sell them on his plans and coaches will be in place by then and will be able to work on these players learning more about what he wants.

Remember, HC Spav also needs to hire a strength/conditioning coach too.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:49 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
Remember, HC Spav also needs to hire a strength/conditioning coach too.

burkart and howe still on staff
https://txstatebobcats.com/coaches.aspx?roster=237

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:53 am
True Bobcat Fan

I ended up doing a little browsing last night and the few players I found on twitter were retweeting his stuff. So probably what you'd expect. Doubt Spav has had the time to talk much with them.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:56 am
Junior Bobcat

Correct me if I'm wrong but Hill coached and developed grant Grant Gunnell who just broke the all time record for Yards and TD's in the HISTORY of high school football. Just looked back through the years of their scoring and winning % on maxpreps. Pretty impressive run for Hill as they beat College station last year who won the 5A state championship. Pretty easy decision in my opinion to keep him...

So glad spav kept Antione. If you look at our WR's he has really brought in some talent and obviously done a great job on the road as a recruiter!! Very calm demeanor and I know the kids love him.

Personally I would have liked for him to keep coach Woods. I will support whoever he brings in as D.C. Looking forward to this spring football already!!!

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:03 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Are Grad Assistants allowed to recruit? Or is that a no-no?

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:36 am
True Bobcat Fan

only 10 coaches can recruit off campus. it doesn't matter what their title is, so long as they are listed w/ the ncaa as one of the 10. my guess is that most ga don't have the chops to be cutting it up w/ parents and coaches, so you don't want loose cannons out there, especially when they don't know anything about spav and what his plan is. i'd have michael george out there for sure though, since he's the one most familiar w/ the current recruits.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:42 am
Junior Bobcat

Apparently Spav is keeping AB since he is still in the building working out the boys. I know all the boys love AB. Pretty risky keeping someone who was so close to Everett Withers but he does a good job.

As far as sending Michael George out on the road recruiting I hope you are kidding. What a joke :lol:
There isn't anyone more awkward to talk to than Mike George. Keep him as far away from recruits as possible. Very VERY guy but so so weird.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:13 pm