Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PRESS CONFERENCE: Jake Spavital Announcement 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: PRESS CONFERENCE: Jake Spavital Announcement
Just my opinion, but i think there'd be a slim to no chance of bowl under Everett. Not with his coaching and not with this o line. Spav will have to bring in a couple immediate impact o lineman.

And we all know taxi will use this as a way to bash spav if we don't make a bowl. No bowl? Fire spav! :lol:

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:37 pm
SuperCat

I think that Withers left a pretty full cupboard for Spav. His players will be mature and ready to start winning next year. I'm already looking forward to the Spring game, which I hope is an actual game and not a scrimmage. It will just be a long damn time until next season.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

If Spavital is going to coach WV as OC, then he'll likely use certain weekends to travel back and forth from WV to TX to recruit. Or he SHOULD.

The coaching process with this new signing period (only in its 2nd year) is interesting. For example, A&M didn't hire a new coach until January and then Fisher got his coaching staff in order and had 3-4 weeks to recruit for late/usual signing period. I'm interested to see how he goes about it. Since bowl games won't be over until early January, I'm wondering if Spavital can really go after some of these P5s (keep in mind that many will have interest from other P5s be it TT, UNC, etc...) so many of these good P5 coaches won't intend to go G5 (unless they aren't in a great situation currently (Stitt as a analyst is not a true coach at OSU).

So if these P5 assistant coaches/analysts/OC/DCs aren't going to make any quick/rash decisions (think about Charlotte having to come out about their opening because JMU coach stopped the move there to hear from other schools), we may have to wait to get some of our coaches in spring. I'm throwing this out there now because in January at the championship game, there is a huge coaches convention where many HCs go and find/interview some of their assistant coaches. I would think (whether we have our OC/DC by then) they or Spavital would use this opportunity to interview rather than try and have multiple interviews between now and Christmas). We'll see. If I'm remotely right on this, I wouldn't be surprised we ask current commits to either sign or give us an opportunity to re-recruit them for the late/usualy signing day in February. The only one we have to move on immediately would be McKinney, who planned to sign and attend school this spring term. Spav will need to sell him hard on his expected offense and possible type of QB coach.

I'd expect him to bring in a few of his own but I don't think he has to redo the OL. Brewer is good, Rowland is capable, and I still think Moore, King, Momerelle, and the other OL from 2018 class will make some noise next year.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:29 pm
SuperCat

Bobcat.taxman wrote, “We're going to win a lot with him....a Bowl game is almost assured next year for anyone that watched and paid attention to our games this year.”

I’m not trying to throw a wet blanket on the party but I agree with what LSU Bobcat wrote, “Let's not pretend he's a known winner that's been successful at his previous stops. A bowl game is assured next year? That's ridiculous. Let's be happy if we see improvement and win 4 or 5 games..”

1. Spavital is a first year coach and there will be a VERY steep learning curve in front of him and a myriad of new jobs in front of him: assembling a coaching staff, recruitment, etc., etc. etc. I fully expect him and the all new staff to make some decisions that might cost us during games, my hope is that he does not repeat the same ones over and over and over like E.W.
2. He will have to work with the talent we have now next year, including our OFF line and a kicking game that feel off a cliff. We have to give him a year to try and recruit players for whatever system he installs.
3. Spavital will not get much help from Teis and the athletic department, you’ve all read the thread, so no need to pound sand.

Lets hope that we see consistent improvement from the team: ball security, improved and more diverse play calling, continue improvement in our DEF secondary, and fixing the kicking game, etc. If we can improve to at least five wins in 2019 I will say Spavital is on the right track but give him until 2020 before we start packing our bags.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'm not even talking about the shot calling (although, while we are at it, I think we can win 5-7 games next year).
Is hiring a coach here a crapshoot? I dont know about a crapshoot, but it's easy to miss in college football, and easier to miss here than in Austin.

I was more referring to you saying spav had a horrible offense and a&m and "window dressing" holgersens offense at wvu. Both are borderline ridiculous comments.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I’m honestly worried about a number of things because it looks like the same song and dance is brewing. Coaching staff, defense, teammate accountability, upper management ,and play calling are all concerns for me. Let’s not start writing checks and looking like fools. Firmly believe Teis will find a way to fuck Spavital and staff up.

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

good lord y'all some chicken little motherfuckers

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Let's not say "bowl game."

Let's say "bowl eligible."

Because we should know by now that it's going to take Larry's help to get us to a bowl game, and who the hell would count on that?

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

So more than once both Teis Trauth said that Spavital was the 1st choice. So are the reports of Kendall Briles being the front runner accurate? Did he even interview here at all?

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:19 am
True Bobcat Fan

Dirtbag wrote:
Let's not say "bowl game."

Let's say "bowl eligible."

Because we should know by now that it's going to take Larry's help to get us to a bowl game, and who the hell would count on that?

This year it was ULM that missed out. We need to win at least 8 games to not worry about getting left out again.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:45 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Spav has worked for multiple head coaches that have assembled solid coaching teams. I include TAMU in that, because I think Sumlin being over his head in that spotlight was the issue there more so than his assistants. He went from a great first season to just good. May Texas State one day experience TAMU's definition of failure...

Spav has had good mentoring in his young career, with a lot of excellent opportunities to see how to develop a coaching team and understand what makes for an effective head coach. He has worked under coaches that took different approaches to building their coaching team.

If you think Texas State can recruit some kind of "proven" person as head coach, you are high. The Texas States of the football world have to take risks in their coaching hires in order to advance the program. We don't have the option of hiring "low risk, high reward;" we have to hire "high risk, high reward." This means you get burned from time-to-time, as happened with Withers. But it also means you might get lucky. If you get lucky once and your coach goes on to great things, it makes recruiting the next coach much, much easier.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:33 am
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
Spav has worked for multiple head coaches that have assembled solid coaching teams. I include TAMU in that, because I think Sumlin being over his head in that spotlight was the issue there more so than his assistants. He went from a great first season to just good. May Texas State one day experience TAMU's definition of failure...

UH's staff under Sumlin was a really good staff too.

With TSU hiring Clarence McKinney yesterday and Spav coming to TXST that now makes 6 guys off Sumlin's 2008 UH OFFENSIVE staff that have gone on to be D1 head coaches:

Dana Holgorsen - West Virginia
Tony Levine - Houston
Kliff Kingsbury - Texas Tech
Jake Spavital - Texas State
Eric Morris - Incarnate Word
Clarence McKinney - Texas Southern

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:27 am
True Bobcat Fan

slycat wrote:
This year it was ULM that missed out. We need to win at least 8 games to not worry about getting left out again.

Ehh, we may need to win the conference to be guaranteed a bowl spot. The Sun Belt still has the rule that the Sun Belt Champion must get a bowl, right?

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

There are 5 Sun Belt bowl tie-ins and we play in a 10 team league. 8 wins is automatic man. 6 is automatic every other year when there aren't enough 6 win teams to fill every bowl.

But an 8-4 TXST won't be left out before a 6-6 Sun Belt team.

ULM went 6-6 this year and was left out with 6 bowl eligible teams for 5 tie-ins. The 5 teams that received a bid all had 7 or more wins.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
But an 8-4 TXST won't be left out before a 6-6 Sun Belt team

@TAMU (L)
WYOMING (L)
@SMU (W)
NICHOLLS (W)
@APP (L)
@STATE (L)
@CCU (W)
@ULL (W)
GAST (W)
USA (W)
TROY (W)
ULM (W)

These results should not be out of reach for a competent 2019 staff. The bad news is we lose GASO whom we were only a safety, an extra point and a coaching staff away from beating

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:39 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next